• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What do people think about your hobby?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 10 2020 - 3:24 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yea, he dislikes ants but knows I've spent my money on them so he can't get rid of them unless he want a major sh*t-show to happen

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#62 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 3:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I’ve gotten mad at my dad for bumping my ants accidentally........
  • FSTP likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#63 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 10 2020 - 4:05 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I've gotten mad at my dad for doubting ants lol

• FSTP and AntsDakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#64 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 10 2020 - 4:31 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Just my opinion and somewhat off-topic, but:

If you young guys want to find girlfriends who are into or okay with inverts, I'm guessing you might start by hanging out with nerdier young women, if you can find any. If nothing else it's fun to geek out in mixed gender groups (I was able to do this in college because I went to a nerd haven college). On FB I've recently begun hanging out with a bunch of people who are into inverts, and most of us are women. But also, in my experience, nerd women are less into societal expectations/appearances and are more into ... being nerds (shock) ... so give and take goes both ways.

Not at all off topic IMHO.
Little dudes. Seriously. Get the chip off your shoulder and find less boring girls to spend time with. And take an interest in her interests, don't just expect her to be an audience for your interests.
Also, everyone gets less f*cking insecure as they get older, and that makes them less afraid to admit to being interested in things that aren't bland and predictable — and the ones that don't get easier to avoid. 
It honestly does get less sh*t. Don't let the b*stards warp you in the meantime — and enjoy your ants because you enjoy them, other people are their own problem.

Signed,
A middle aged woman who used to be a nerdy girl nobody talked to.

[edit: this forum censors "b*stard"?  :lol: ]

Edited by justanotheramy, March 10 2020 - 4:34 PM.

• ANTdrew and OhNoNotAgain like this

#65 Offline FSTP - Posted March 10 2020 - 4:40 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I got mad at my dad for thinking about my ants. 

• Thunder_Birds likes this

#66 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 10 2020 - 5:00 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

lol'

#67 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 10 2020 - 5:23 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Haha :lol:

#Ants4Life

#68 Offline zantezaint - Posted March 10 2020 - 10:03 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Yeah. Same thing happened to me. I got some waxworm from a women selling from her home, and she asked me what I am feeding. There was a big fat question mark above her head when I told her.

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#69 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 11 2020 - 1:57 AM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

There was a big fat question mark above her head when I told her.

IDK, maybe I'm projecting here, but before an Ants Australia vid popped up in my FB timeline for some reason 5 or 6 years ago it had never occurred to me that there was any middle ground between back-of-comic-book plastic "ant farms" of childhood and something you might see in a university research lab in a documentary.
Seeing my first example of what I think of (with tongue slightly in cheek) as "modern home ant keeping" (user-friendly, modular, housing functional colonies) set off 2 lightbulbs: doh! of course! and how can I justify getting one?
If anyone had been in the room they probably wouldn't have described my expression in a flattering way.

So, maybe the reactions y'all are getting isn't "wow, this weirdo has ants" — maybe at least sometimes it's "ZOMG, you mean I get to have ants?"

Having a pic or 2 somewhere easy to access of cute beginner setups might be useful for these and other situations. Like, you may soon want to devote an entire room to keeping a collection of small civilisations captive, but look! it doesn't have to start out that way.

Edited by justanotheramy, March 11 2020 - 1:57 AM.

• OhNoNotAgain and Ants_Dakota like this

#70 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 11 2020 - 11:46 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Most people have never seen queen ants, so pics of queen ants taking care of their first brood might be a good ice breaker. Bonus points for cute nanitics.

• FSTP, ANTdrew, justanotheramy and 1 other like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#71 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 11 2020 - 12:30 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

My dad's gotten mad at me for keeping ants

#72 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 11 2020 - 1:51 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Most people have never seen queen ants, so pics of queen ants taking care of their first brood might be a good ice breaker. Bonus points for cute nanitics.

Except most people can’t even tell queens from workers. They have to look hard to even tell they’re bigger.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#73 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 11 2020 - 4:17 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

The kids in my daughter's class loved the queen.
An enraptured 6 year old exclaiming "oh! she's glorious!" is… all the feels  <3

Edited by justanotheramy, March 11 2020 - 4:17 PM.

• FSTP, ANTdrew, OhNoNotAgain and 2 others like this

#74 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 11 2020 - 4:33 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

The kids in my daughter's class loved the queen.
An enraptured 6 year old exclaiming "oh! she's glorious!" is… all the feels  <3

Yup, little kids love seeing queen ants. They remember my biggest queen (C. sansabeanus), esp. when I called her the "mean queen." C. fragilis they had trouble figuring out which was the queen. The other colonies it was pretty obvious. And of course they were disappointed with the Uncle Milton and its mail-order workers sans queen.

But even most adults I've talked to are at least a little bit curious about queen ants (granted they tend to be more mature, parents, and some are in the more technical/nerd side of things). It helps to show pics of ants with a good contrast in size, like even Tetramorium. They can easily figure out the queen then. Common quote even with adults: "Oh wow, it's so big!"

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 11 2020 - 4:35 PM.

• Ants_Dakota and Thunder_Birds like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#75 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 11 2020 - 4:47 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Aphaenogaster longiceps queens are often described as "ugly" by ant-people, but the kids really did find her beautiful.
The wide-eyed adoration of "glorious!" was my absolute favourite though.

​Other parents were really curious about the ants, too, and teachers from other classes.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#76 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 12 2020 - 8:03 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Aphaenogaster in general is really pretty with it's shiny or even red color. I feel like if i ever get a colony of A. Rudis, it would be my show to everyone colony.

• justanotheramy and Thunder_Birds like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#77 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 12 2020 - 12:21 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Aphaenogaster can vary in coloration. They can be red or black, but more often a blend of the two.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#78 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 12 2020 - 12:23 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

What is the colony you would show to everyone, AntsDakota?

Edited by Ants_Dakota, March 12 2020 - 12:23 PM.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#79 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 12 2020 - 12:25 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
What do you mean? I show all my colonies to everyone......
  • justanotheramy and Ants_Dakota like this

#80 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 12 2020 - 12:28 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

What do you mean? I show all my colonies to everyone......

I mean, the colony you think everyone would like the best. you don't even have to own it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users