• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anthills.net formicariums?

formicariums

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 25 2015 - 7:19 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

You are referring to your own business/project as "they" instead of "we" or "I", when you're a representative of said business.

They have nothing to do with me.  What are you talking about?

Kindly read rule #6. ;)

In all fairness, I got the impression he was goofing off, not trying to mislead anyone.  I think it's pretty clear to everyone except the newest of newbies (a group I am probably still a member of) that he represents byformica.

Edited by BugFinder, January 25 2015 - 7:20 PM.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#22 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 25 2015 - 7:43 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You are referring to your own business/project as "they" instead of "we" or "I", when you're a representative of said business.

Kindly read rule #6. ;)

In all fairness, I got the impression he was goofing off, not trying to mislead anyone.  I think it's pretty clear to everyone except the newest of newbies (a group I am probably still a member of) that he represents byformica.

Yeah, but to the people in the conversation, it is kind of a sensitive subject... (not specifically me, but yeah.)

#23 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 25 2015 - 8:09 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Kindly read rule #6. ;)

Yeah, but to the people in the conversation, it is kind of a sensitive subject... (not specifically me, but yeah.)

Greg, you are a fool. What, pray tell, is a sensitive subject?  I dare you or anyone to elaborate on what wrong has been committed by the use of the personal pronoun "they."

I answered the frickin' question that was asked, and Miles spills his applesauce because I used the correct pronoun?  By the same standard of logic, Miles should refer to Tarheel Ant as "we" every time he recommends their products, given how closely he is involved with their business. But nobody calls out Miles—nor should they.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#24 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 25 2015 - 8:22 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Kindly read rule #6. ;)

Greg, you are a fool. What, pray tell, is a sensitive subject?  I dare you or anyone to elaborate on what wrong has been committed by the use of the personal pronoun "they."

This is blowing up? No? Sensitive subject.

#25 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 25 2015 - 8:27 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Kindly read rule #6. ;)

This is blowing up? No? Sensitive subject.

This is what I hear:

506e6ddff6f6a8cbb746b30a61489956.jpg

• drtrmiller likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#26 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 25 2015 - 8:28 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

rofl The amazing things that come out of ant conversations. I am done on this one, I never wanted an argument.

• BugFinder likes this

#27 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 25 2015 - 9:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

At least I now know how many times we can nest a quote.

#28 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 25 2015 - 9:35 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

At least I now know how many times we can nest a quote.

By the way, I really disapprove of quote nesting.  It's a pain to reformat, though.

#29 Offline William. T - Posted January 26 2015 - 5:39 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Please stop this argument. Drtrmiller, I don't think everyone here is tied with your business. There is nothing wrong with personally recommending your own products.

Edited by Pheidole, January 26 2015 - 5:42 AM.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#30 Offline Miles - Posted January 26 2015 - 8:33 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I answered the frickin' question that was asked, and Miles spills his applesauce because I used the correct pronoun?  By the same standard of logic, Miles should refer to Tarheel Ant as "we" every time he recommends their products, given how closely he is involved with their business. But nobody calls out Miles—nor should they.

That is incorrect and you very well know it. The only reason that I am giving this topic my time is that there are some here who may not know the truth of the matter. I am not "closely involved" in the THA business. I am not affiliated with the company. The only relation I have with them as a company is that I have tested a couple of products that were pre-release (and I am not special in this regard), and I accepted the offer to be a moderator for the "Ants Can Be Pets" Facebook group.

This is my final address on this topic. I have made clear that I am not an employee for Tar Heel Ants and I do not profit at all from their success. I simply believe in the quality of their products.

Edited by Miles, January 26 2015 - 8:47 AM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#31 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 26 2015 - 8:47 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

That is incorrect and you very well know it. The only reason that I am giving this topic my time is that there are some here who may not know the truth of the matter. I am not "closely involved" in the THA business. I am not affiliated with the company. The only relation I have with them is that I have tested a couple of products that were pre-release, and I accepted the offer to be a moderator for the "Ants Can Be Pets" Facebook group.

This is my final address on this topic. I have made clear that I am not an employee for Tar Heel Ants and I do not profit at all from their success. I simply believe in the quality of their products.

You don't have to be one of their child laborers to be involved with their business.

Being a moderator to both their private Facebook group and forum, and accepting a number of free products, is quite the epitome of being "closely involved," especially when you consider the fact that Tar Heel Ants has cancelled all my recent orders with no explanation given.  They're quite the exclusive cult—err—group.

You, Miles, started this silliness by bringing up and now continuing on the train of thought that somehow the personal pronoun "they" was intentionally misleading and harmful, thus necessitating an inept and worthless clarification on your part.  I suggest you finish high school first, before attempting to play in the big league grammar games of contemptuous passive aggressiveness.

#32 Offline Crystals - Posted January 26 2015 - 9:44 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

They don't have a whole lot more than accessories and small formicaries right now, but I hear they're coming out with a really nice formicarium in the next few weeks.

Terry, when referring to "they" are you referring to ByFormica or http://www.antkit.uk/?

As for the clip on "This is what I hear:" - that is pretty juvenile.  I would not have expected that out of you.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#33 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 26 2015 - 9:52 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I'm done with all of you. And ants.

Tar Heel Ants wins.

#34 Offline kellakk - Posted January 26 2015 - 10:15 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I thought that funny use of grammar was clever, by the way.  For anyone who misunderstood, he referred to byFormica as "they" because technically it is a "they" and not a "we", as the company is a third-person party that in the sentence did not include himself.  It's just typical human nature that misunderstandings caused a whole argument though.

• drtrmiller likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#35 Offline Crystals - Posted January 26 2015 - 10:41 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

The world of reading text with email, postings, etc. it can be so hard to show whether a person is joking or not.

I often use smiley icons to show humor.  

I originally took Terry's original post as humor.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#36 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 26 2015 - 12:01 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I wish we could take the volume down, I would hate for this to devolve into what I've heard other forums are like with hurt feelings and angry rhetoric.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#37 Offline William. T - Posted January 26 2015 - 1:36 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Agreed.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#38 Offline Crystals - Posted January 26 2015 - 2:54 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

If I came across as rude, then I apologize.

I have problems if I think any member is treating another unfairly.

My Colonies

#39 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 26 2015 - 4:13 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Liking your own posts now are you? Sorry I should stop... :lol:

#40 Offline William. T - Posted January 26 2015 - 5:41 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Well, I settle on the Vertical Nest from Antkit. Any suggestions?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicariums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users