• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anthills.net formicariums?

formicariums

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Offline William. T - Posted January 24 2015 - 4:21 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

When I was scouring the web for formicariums, I had found the anthills.net, which sells rather nice looking formicariums at very competitive prices made out of gypsum. They look like TarHeelAnt quality formicariums. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#2 Offline Miles - Posted January 24 2015 - 4:28 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I reviewed one of these formicariums a couple of years back. I'm not sure if the business is still running or not. The nest I received was nice, but the material was plaster and it was soon covered by mold. The nest also relied on a lot of vertical connections and my ants had a hard time walking on them while carrying anything. The plaster did not stay moist long.

Otherwise, the nests were well designed and definitely had a lot of time put into them.

They are not Tar Heel Ants quality, but a step below.

Edited by Miles, January 24 2015 - 4:29 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#3 Offline William. T - Posted January 24 2015 - 5:04 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Thanks!

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 24 2015 - 6:13 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The owner, Ingus, was great when I had a problem.  He offered a full refund, but I declined, and asked him to use my money to further his research.

It appears the business has kind of stagnated, however, with very few updates over the years.  It's a shame, considering how much art and detail went into his setups.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 24 2015 - 7:15 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Miles - Posted January 24 2015 - 6:20 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

To be fair, the species that you had in that formicarium (Same design as the one I got) is inherently destructive and was quite a large colony. Not making excuses, but maybe a little context is helpful.

Edited by Miles, January 24 2015 - 6:20 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 24 2015 - 6:52 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

To be fair, the species that you had in that formicarium (Same design as the one I got) is inherently destructive and was quite a large colony. Not making excuses, but maybe a little context is helpful.

Yes, the same colony chewed through an old Tar Heel Ants "Inn" setup multiple times before I put epoxy all over the exterior.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline William. T - Posted January 25 2015 - 7:23 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

So, is anthills.net the only formicarium vender that ships to the US other than Antsnationals, TarheelAnts, and Antscanada?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#8 Offline dean_k - Posted January 25 2015 - 8:04 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

http://www.antkit.uk/

Note: I don't have first hand experience with them. I am not sure he will ship to US but his items on Ebay ships worldwide.

Edited by dean_k, January 25 2015 - 8:06 AM.

#9 Offline William. T - Posted January 25 2015 - 8:22 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Thanks. Any more?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 25 2015 - 11:40 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Note: I don't have first hand experience with them. I am not sure he will ship to US but his items on Ebay ships worldwide.

I emailed them a few weeks ago and never received a reply.

Thanks. Any more?

Have you not heard of byFormica?  They are based in the US.  

They don't have a whole lot more than accessories and small formicaries right now, but I hear they're coming out with a really nice formicarium in the next few weeks.

#11 Offline Miles - Posted January 25 2015 - 1:18 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

I emailed them a few weeks ago and never received a reply.

Thanks. Any more?

Have you not heard of byFormica?  They are based in the US.  

They don't have a whole lot more than accessories and small formicaries right now, but I hear they're coming out with a really nice formicarium in the next few weeks.

To be clear, Pheidole, the "they" that Drtrmiller is referring to is himself - his business. Just wanted to clear up any confusion that could result here.

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 25 2015 - 1:21 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

To be clear, Pheidole, the "they" that Drtrmiller is referring to is himself - his business. Just wanted to clear up any confusion that could result here.

What kind of confusion?

Edited by drtrmiller, January 25 2015 - 1:24 PM.

#13 Offline Miles - Posted January 25 2015 - 1:23 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

You are referring to your own business/project as "they" instead of "we" or "I", when you're a representative of said business.

Edited by Miles, January 25 2015 - 1:23 PM.

#14 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 25 2015 - 1:25 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You are referring to your own business/project as "they" instead of "we" or "I", when you're a representative of said business.

They have nothing to do with me.  What are you talking about?

#15 Offline Crystals - Posted January 25 2015 - 1:30 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Check ebay and amazon and even browse through various ant forums, as there are a number of individuals who sell a couple of nests here and there without an actual website.  I have noticed that the different ebays (ebay.ca and ebay.com) often carry different things.

I have sold some spare nests here and there. 

The main groups mentioned in the US are usually AntsCanada, TarHeelAnts, and ByFormica.  There are a few other individuals that sell quite a few, but they are quite scattered around the internet on ebay, amazon, craigslist, kijiji, etc.

Terry, when referring to "they" are you referring to ByFormica or http://www.antkit.uk/?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#16 Offline dean_k - Posted January 25 2015 - 3:40 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I fired up an e-mail to Antkit this morning and received a reply in about 8 hours. Good response time, I'd say.

Edited by dean_k, January 25 2015 - 3:40 PM.

#17 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 25 2015 - 3:57 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I fired up an e-mail to Antkit this morning and received a reply in about 8 hours. Good response time, I'd say.

How did you contact them?

#18 Offline dean_k - Posted January 25 2015 - 4:01 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Their e-mail found on contact us under Advice & support.

Their new "Ytong Vertical Nest" looks quite interesting. They claim to add a free lasius queen on all formicarium orders but I doubt I will take that free order...

Edited by dean_k, January 25 2015 - 4:03 PM.

#19 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 25 2015 - 5:59 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Kindly read rule #6. ;)

#20 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 25 2015 - 7:06 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Kindly read rule #6. ;)

"Thou shall not murder."

Kindly...

monopoly-go-to-jail-card_8582.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicariums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users