• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Preferred Food by Species

feeding food eat preferred

105 replies to this topic

#101 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 29 2018 - 4:33 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
T. Immigrans like kielbasa. They must have immigrated from the old country like my people.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#102 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted January 19 2019 - 4:16 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationWest Springfield, Fairfax County, VA, USA

So, I'm doing some experimentation with what Trachymyrmex septentrionalis like. 

This is what I've found so far:

-Greater Plantain (a type of meadow plant with broad leaves)

-cracker part of poptarts (They'll also make a chocolate liquid solution and put it on their fungus and the fungus grows on that if you use the S'mores poptarts)

-Bran Flakes

-catkins (Highly favored)

-Caterpillar Frass (Favorite!)

-oatmeal is currently being tested

-noodles is currently being tested

-rice is currently being tested

-dried apples is being tested but they seem to take attention to it instantly

I'll see what else they like after a series of more tests with apples, rice, noodles, and oatmeal. If you have any more to add please feel free to add to the list. I'm still looking for better options to help them feed their fungus as it's not as big as I'd like.

• Acutus likes this

-Haden Lee
Keeps:

NATIVE: Crematogaster sp -16  Formica palledefulva-1  Stigmatomma pallipes-7  Formica integra-1  Camponotus casteanus-1  Tetramorium immigrans-1  

NON-NATIVE: Solenopsis invicta- 2 Atta texana-2-3

Hornets: Dolichovespula maculata-1 (Bald faced hornets-self raised from queen, over 300 workers now!)

#103 Offline ForestDragon - Posted May 15 2019 - 7:10 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

From what I have noticed from my Tapinoma sessile they prefer anything sweet and go NUTS for honeydew melons like they flat out moved brood to the first chamber so they could feed it to them right when they brought it back

#104 Offline electricv - Posted June 11 2019 - 2:47 PM

electricv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

How funny, my Camponotus herculeanus went completely bonkers over greasy cooked chicken.  My one queen even left for formicarium, went down an 8" tube and into the outworld to drag it in because her workers weren't bringing it fast enough.  I have never seen her leave the formicarium before so I was quite surprised.

lol

I am a stick figure

#105 Offline dominatus - Posted June 28 2019 - 2:53 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
My Camponotus decipiens enjoy crickets, grasshoppers (a lot), honey, sugar water, live termites and fruit flies (like to hunt them a lot), other ants' brood.

#106 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 9 2019 - 8:12 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Odontomachus bruennus will accept dehydrated bloodworms, they must be offered dry ime, not soaked or moistened or it will be ignored, i have used nurbs rehydrated blood worms successfully on all my other species but was unsuccessful with O bruennus until i tried it dry. Extremely convienient feeder, i just shake some in every day, they don't need carbs so other than fruit flies bloodworms are their staple and the colony is thriving. I will try it will haematodus and ruginodis in the near future

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feeding, food, eat, preferred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users