• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Make a Feeding Port

feeding port feeding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rptraut - Posted January 19 2024 - 3:50 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Make a Feeding Port

The addition of a feeding port to a formicarium can make feeding and cleaning easier for the ant keeper.  To make one usually requires the use of power tools so please follow all safety precautions and don't make me sorry I showed you this. 

IMG_7792.JPG

To start with, I use small plastic containers with screw top lids.  I use two different sizes for larger or smaller setups, and I get them at a local surplus store.  I think you could use any kind of plastic necked bottle that you can cut the top off.  With these containers I cut the bottom off with a bandsaw and sand the top smooth with a belt sander.  I put it into a hole that is exactly the same size.  Hot glue is used to hold it in place, but I don't depend on the hot glue to keep the ants in.    I'm never sure what kind of ants are going to be housed, so the fit must be tight enough to keep ants in, even without glue.   The small feeding trays I use fit easily through the port.

The feeding port is one of the additions to a formicarium that has saved me more time and aggravation than anything else.   Formicaria with feeding ports sit on my shelf facing out, so feeding is a simple matter of unscrewing the lid with one hand, pulling the old feed tray out and putting a freshly loaded tray back in.  Skittish ants get used to the routine and head for cover when I take the lid off, but they soon return when I'm done.   I usually just blow on any ants that are reluctant to leave the feeder or I can put it aside and get it later when they're enjoying fresh water and sugar/water.  

I've found that if I install the port close to the bottom of the formicarium and put something as a barrier like Vaseline or mineral oil on the inside it will keep the ants from rushing the opening.    The port is helpful for cleaning as well.  I've seen some ants bring their trash and leave it at the port.  Tetramorium and Tapinoma are particularly good at this, and it makes cleanup a breeze.  I simply wipe it out with a paper towel before I begin feeding.  

I think shy ants and small colonies like to dine under cover.  For those colonies I place their protein through the feeding port and then place the feeding tray on top of it.   I was surprised how this little thing increased the amount of food a small Lasius brevicornis colony took compared to a similar sized colony that I fed in the open. 

IMG_7531.JPG

This Myrmica colony enjoys some chicken on the feeding tray that was easily placed through the feeding port.  

RPT

• Mirandarachnid, ReignofRage, AntsCali098 and 3 others like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted January 19 2024 - 12:58 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Great thread. I retired the few of the same twist-cap containers from my collection vials and thought of doing this exact same thing, just on the lids rather than the side.

• rptraut and 100lols like this

#3 Offline rptraut - Posted January 19 2024 - 1:36 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

cr@p

Edited by rptraut, January 19 2024 - 1:49 PM.

• 100lols likes this

#4 Offline rptraut - Posted January 19 2024 - 1:47 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Hello ReignofRage;

Glad you like this type of post, I hope it helps.  If you want more detail on anything else, let me know. 

I've put feeding ports on the top as well, usually when the sides aren't wide enough or are too flimsy to drill through without cracking. 

Here's a photo of a couple of setups that I use for founding Myrmica colonies.   It's easy to remove the lid, reach in and pull out the feeding tray from the top.

IMG_7202.JPG

Mounting the feeding port on top won't make it any easier to clean out trash but it will make feeding easier with less chances of escape.  

RPT

• ReignofRage, Rrar and 100lols like this

#5 Offline Rrar - Posted January 19 2024 - 3:29 PM

Rrar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Interesting. I haven't tried using a feeding port yet. Those terrariums look cool!

• rptraut likes this

canada = boring!!!!!

I want attaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

also: Camponotus ca02 ( probably not possible though)

#6 Offline rptraut - Posted January 20 2024 - 1:22 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Hello Rrar;

I'm glad you like the terrariums, they're actually vivariums or vivaria when they have living things in them, and formicaria when they have ants in them.

I've made many terrariums where I grow ferns and orchids and I keep ants in something similar to observe how their behavior might be different than a colony in another setup.  I sometimes try to mimic the ant's natural environment like the Myrmica founding colonies in the photo above.  They're a forest dwelling ant so I provide them with moss and leaves etc. like the forest floor, and a small test tube to live in. 

IMG_7521.JPG

A "natural" setup using moss, artificial plants and a piece of wood from an old carpenter ant nest made this setup nice enough for a Tapinoma colony to move right in.

RPT

• ANTdrew, Rrar and 100lols like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feeding port, feeding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users