• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Preferred Food by Species

feeding food eat preferred

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#121 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 28 2021 - 11:03 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Do any of you find that your ants actively hunt pill-bugs/ isopods?  Mine utterly leave them alone unless I specifically kill one for them.  Otherwise they do not care.   They even leave the softer babies alone and I have isopods breeding REALLY well in my discolor setup.   Faster than the ants, actually... HAHAHAHA
The only time they pay any real attention to the isopods is if one wanders into a nest entrance, then it's all hands on deck to repel the invader, but once the isopod scoots off on his merry way, they just leave him alone.   

• Antkeeper01 and futurebird like this

#122 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 29 2021 - 3:19 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Do any of you find that your ants actively hunt pill-bugs/ isopods? Mine utterly leave them alone unless I specifically kill one for them. Otherwise they do not care. They even leave the softer babies alone and I have isopods breeding REALLY well in my discolor setup. Faster than the ants, actually... HAHAHAHA
The only time they pay any real attention to the isopods is if one wanders into a nest entrance, then it's all hands on deck to repel the invader, but once the isopod scoots off on his merry way, they just leave him alone.

Nope. The only ants I know of that do that are Leptogenys. I have kept such ants but failed cuz of insufficient isopods. How do I breed isopods fast?

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#123 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 29 2021 - 6:00 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

There are a few species that breed CRAZY fast.   Pruinosis or "Powder" isopods.  Powder is two of their most prevalent morphs.  They're VERY easy to keep and cheap and breed like crazy.   And you can get at least 3 different colors (orange, blue, white) at those cheap prices so maybe there's some kind of visual appeal to them as well.  

Again, SUPER easy to breed (the easiest I have personally ever kept) and very tolerant of different conditions.   For the purposes you're describing they are basically perfect.   I'd keep multiple bins just in case one crashes or runs out or whatever.   I can point you in the direction of at least a few breeders-
www.supremegecko.com
PodsSolo.com

isopodchick.com (might be THEisopodchick.com)

That's just off the top of my head.  VERY good quaity and service from all three of these sellers.   (no, none of them are me...) 

• ANTS_KL likes this

#124 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 29 2021 - 7:35 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Is it possible to get wild isopods to breed? i hope so cuz i would rlly like another leptogenys colony  :)  

• Antkeeper01 and cap_backfire like this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#125 Offline Otrebor707 - Posted July 29 2021 - 9:22 PM

Otrebor707

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRedwood City

Is it possible to get wild isopods to breed? i hope so cuz i would rlly like another leptogenys colony  :)

wondering what nest set up you have for Oecophylla smaragdina ????
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
Colonies:
• Tᴇᴛʀᴀᴍᴏʀɪᴜᴍ Immigrans.
• Pʀᴇɴᴏʟᴇᴘɪs Iᴍᴘᴀʀɪs -Test Tube April 2021 💀 Nov.2021 😔
• Camponotus Hyatti - Test tube June 2021
• Solenopsis Molesta- Test Tube Aug 2021

#126 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 30 2021 - 8:56 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Yes, very simple.  

#127 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 31 2021 - 1:05 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Is it possible to get wild isopods to breed? i hope so cuz i would rlly like another leptogenys colony :)

Yes, very simple.
Ahh ok thx.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk

#128 Offline mantisgal - Posted August 18 2021 - 2:44 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario
Update on P. Imparis:
Honey
Sunburst[TM] Nectar
Fruit fly
House fly
Garden slug

#129 Offline mantisgal - Posted August 18 2021 - 8:49 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Update on P. Imparis:
Honey
Sunburst[TM] Nectar
Fruit fly
House fly
Garden slug
Cat food (wet food. Will experiment with damp kibble crumbs), which is super handy
  • m99 likes this

#130 Offline m99 - Posted August 18 2021 - 11:09 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Update on P. Imparis:

Cat food (wet food. Will experiment with damp kibble crumbs), which is super handy

Well that settles it. Someone else was posting yesterday about how much their pavement ants love cat food, now this, my furball gonna have some competition with tomorrow's can  :lol:

• Antkeeper01 and mantisgal like this

#131 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 19 2021 - 2:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I need to pick some up. I read a paper on Crematogaster ashmeadi, and it said the most effective bait they used was cat food puree. I just wonder what is an easy way to offer it to my massive colonies without making a stinky mess.

Edited by ANTdrew, August 19 2021 - 3:14 PM.

• Antkeeper01, futurebird and m99 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#132 Offline mantisgal - Posted August 19 2021 - 9:07 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
How massive are we talking, here, Drew?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#133 Offline futurebird - Posted August 19 2021 - 9:51 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I buy the cat treats that come in a squeeze tube (my cat loves them) and put a dollop on a paper, then keep adding more until they stop eating it. Then I remove the paper. 

Perhaps you could experiment with putting it in something like a nestmate?

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, mantisgal and 1 other like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#134 Offline mantisgal - Posted August 19 2021 - 9:54 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I use whatever crumbs I leave in a can or the cats miss in their dishes in an ant-sized dish

Edited by mantisgal, August 19 2021 - 9:57 AM.

• AntBoi3030 and futurebird like this

#135 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 19 2021 - 9:59 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Maybe I should get a cat…
  • cap_backfire and mantisgal like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#136 Offline mantisgal - Posted August 19 2021 - 8:13 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Maybe I should get a cat…

Mine just brought me a nice big grasshopper. It's in the freezer now. Handy beasts, cats.
  • ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

#137 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 20 2021 - 2:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I buy the cat treats that come in a squeeze tube (my cat loves them) and put a dollop on a paper, then keep adding more until they stop eating it. Then I remove the paper.

Perhaps you could experiment with putting it in something like a nestmate?

I’ll pick up a tube today! Mantisgal, my colony is a mature Crematogaster colony with a minimum of 5k workers. It’s impossible to count really.
  • Antkeeper01 and mantisgal like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#138 Offline mantisgal - Posted August 20 2021 - 6:42 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hmmmm. They might be able to finish off a small can if you go the meat paté route. I would advise going to a pet food store, as in a shop that specifically sells pet foods, and get some of the good stuff. Do not be lured by low prices in grocery stores!

I was twigged to this after seeing piles and piles and piles of Sollies all over an empty can I forgot overnight on the counter. I figured what's good for solenopsis is good for other genera

Edited by mantisgal, August 20 2021 - 6:44 AM.

#139 Offline futurebird - Posted August 20 2021 - 6:51 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

This is the product I use. I normally give some to the ants, then feed the rest to my cat. 

But it's possible to clip the tube closed with a binder clip.

ALL of my ants are crazy for this stuff. lasius, Camponotus, Pogonomyrmex... everyone. 

But I use it as kind of a treat, if I don't have insects handy, or if I want to film a group of them eating. 

It dries out quickly... but I think it'd also be a good lure while anting. 

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B01N3QZTMI

• ANTdrew, mantisgal and m99 like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#140 Offline mantisgal - Posted August 20 2021 - 9:48 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Yep, that's the kind I get from my local shop.

Also: how long should I freeze the 'hopper for parasites? This will mark a full day of freezing temps.

Edited by mantisgal, August 20 2021 - 9:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feeding, food, eat, preferred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users