• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Preferred Food by Species

feeding food eat preferred

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#141 Offline m99 - Posted August 20 2021 - 11:09 AM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Welp took them a whole four minutes to find this and put three girls on it, which is the most simultaneous foraging I've seen yet! And that was even with my hamfists knocking them around a lot while feeding the crew, so the draw was definitely strong for the tetras.

*edit* FIVE girls at once! That's a third or more of the entire colony holy cow  :blink:

Definitely a ringing endorsement from my crew lol.

https://www.amazon.c...a/dp/B0018CJIX4

That's what my furball is getting at the moment.

*edit edit* Also anybody who's considering buying some canned cat food ONLY for ants, lids like this do well at keeping the food "fresh" for 2-4 days, if you have a colony crew that can polish a can off that quickly (and I suppose ants probably have more tolerance for gone-off food than cats so maybe up to a week or two?):

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07G84SKTN/

That's not the brand I have personally, but they're all pretty interchangeable. Just make sure you get ones with two sealing rings inside, so you can use them for big/small mouth cans as needed.

Edited by m99, August 20 2021 - 3:58 PM.

• cap_backfire and mantisgal like this

#142 Offline mantisgal - Posted August 20 2021 - 3:56 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario
It's hecking easier than catching flies lololol
  • futurebird and m99 like this

#143 Offline drawpositive - Posted September 1 2021 - 7:50 AM

drawpositive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDelaware

To add to the collective data, I have been keeping ants for one year now.  The end of August 2021 marks the first full summer I have had raising these colonies.  All species seemed to respond the same way to all foods offered.  Here is what I have observed:

Tetramorium immigrans, Lasius neoniger, and Crematogaster sp.

All colonies enjoyed: Honey water, sugar water, filtered pear juice (made from apple juice concentrate)

All colonies ate in entirety: boiled dragonfly thorax, boiled spotted lanternfly, boiled field cricket, boiled fungus gnat, boiled soldier fly

Colonies did not enjoy, but still ate a bit of: canned peaches, crushed unsalted almonds

Colonies did not like: boiled leopard slug, grilled chicken

• futurebird and m99 like this

#144 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 14 2021 - 3:46 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Has anyone tried canned crickets? How are those received by cricket liking ants?

#145 Offline cap_backfire - Posted September 17 2021 - 9:23 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Has anyone tried canned crickets? How are those received by cricket liking ants?

I was just considering this since they eat mostly dead crickets anyway.  The smell kept me from trying it so far. 

• That_one_ant_guy likes this

#146 Offline rptraut - Posted October 27 2021 - 6:51 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Any experience with brachymyrmex diet?

Hoped for a hint on a varied diet for brachynyrmex sp.

Been feeding mine sweet liquids and insects

Pure honey water, sugar water on rotation. Sugar water is a 1:1 ratio, the honey I just dilute few drops.

Insects:

love wingless fruit flies (main food source)

Will take case weaving moths,(the mobile ones) full life cycle (tried farming since available to me but unadvised, long life cycle....also pest)

Will take the occasional wild inch worm, caterpillar like things, found in garden, don't know name.

Have had no luck with juices or fruits.

Colony is almost 1 year old.

Suggestions anyone?

I have one brachymyrmex dipalis colony that I have looked after all summer.  I have found that they like cooked egg yolk and turkey liver.  I also have other ant colonies (lasius, camponotus, etc) and they absolutely love cooked turkey liver.  The liver was roasted in the oven with the bird, I usually keep it in the freezer and slice it thinly for them.  It is very crumbly and easy for them to make into small enough pieces to carry away.  Egg yolk is also readily taken, especially if crumbly.  Lastly, I found that my Componotus colony didn't like egg yolk, but they readily accepted scrambled egg (made with a little cheese for my supper).  I have also found that Brachymyrmex like the egg mass innards in the abdomen of earwigs.  They get right inside and clean it out.   Try turkey liver (I don't know about any other kind) as I have found it a great go to food when I don't have the time or insects to feed them.

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#147 Offline futurebird - Posted October 31 2021 - 6:13 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

All ants including my Camponotus pennsylvanicus agree

• eea likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#148 Offline rptraut - Posted November 26 2021 - 10:36 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Another food enjoyed by my Brachmyrmex depilis, Lasius niger, Tetramorium immigrans, and Camponotus pennsylvanicus is butter tart filling. It's basically brown sugar, butter and eggs. When cooked it is a gel which is a carbohydrate, fat (carbohydrate), and protein for ants which they take readily.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#149 Offline rptraut - Posted November 28 2021 - 1:22 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
My Lasius niger colonies like granulated sugar that I occasionally sprinkle in their outworld. I also take out their sugar water. I think it keeps the ants busier than just going to the feeder. It's more interesting for them and for me. I have only done this with my L niger colonies but it will probably work with others.

#150 Offline Chickalo - Posted December 13 2021 - 8:58 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I don't want to make a new topic and I figured it would kinda fit here, but I think I found the jelly that AC uses with his colonies.  Long story short friend brought small jelly cups, instantly recognized them, asked where.  she's gonna send me the address of the asian market, and I'll try to remake them.  If it goes well and colony accepts it I might make a really dumb ant chief video, but then again I'm lazy.  If it is the one kind I'll send the company name for those of you interested. 

(By the way the jelly is also tastes really good, 10/10 do recommend)

Edited by Chickalo, December 13 2021 - 8:58 AM.

• antsriondel, Leptomyrmx and PaigeX like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#151 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 13 2021 - 11:05 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I'm interested

#152 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 13 2021 - 1:31 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Same here. +1

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#153 Offline kiddcell - Posted January 8 2022 - 1:05 AM

kiddcell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDunedin, FL
If this isn't where I can ask, please let me know where and how. I haven't posted in years. I have a rice flour beetle culture and it's annoying trying to filter out larvae and separate them from the adults. What about freezing them and then feeding them to my ants like Odontomachus or Pheidole . I know the scent deters ants when the beetles are alive. That why I'm wondering about frozen beetles. Thank you for your help.

#154 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 9 2022 - 1:00 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

If this isn't where I can ask, please let me know where and how. I haven't posted in years. I have a rice flour beetle culture and it's annoying trying to filter out larvae and separate them from the adults. What about freezing them and then feeding them to my ants like Odontomachus or Pheidole. I know the scent deters ants when the beetles are alive. That why I'm wondering about frozen beetles. Thank you for your help.

If they make a smell, well I tried that with super mealworm beetles but it made them stink even more worse. Not sure if the freezing will work for you.

• kiddcell likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#155 Offline kiddcell - Posted January 9 2022 - 2:27 PM

kiddcell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDunedin, FL
I can't delete this lol 🙁

Edited by kiddcell, January 9 2022 - 2:32 PM.

• eea likes this

#156 Offline kiddcell - Posted January 9 2022 - 2:30 PM

kiddcell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDunedin, FL

If this isn't where I can ask, please let me know where and how. I haven't posted in years. I have a rice flour beetle culture and it's annoying trying to filter out larvae and separate them from the adults. What about freezing them and then feeding them to my ants like Odontomachus or Pheidole. I know the scent deters ants when the beetles are alive. That why I'm wondering about frozen beetles. Thank you for your help.

If they make a smell, well I tried that with super mealworm beetles but it made them stink even more worse. Not sure if the freezing will work for you.

Thank you. I'll give it a try
  • PaigeX likes this

#157 Offline FinWins - Posted September 4 2022 - 11:03 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

What are Stigmatomma preferred foods? I know that Stigmatomma love to eat certain centipedes but what else do they like?  

• DinoH likes this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#158 Offline Puddingtempest - Posted June 30 2023 - 11:19 AM

Puddingtempest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Myrmica Rubra

Like:  Liver pâté, honey, flies (or any winged insect). chicken

may like:  Fish flakes

If feeding crickets to young colony, it helps to crush or chop them

Edited by Puddingtempest, July 3 2023 - 8:46 AM.

#159 Offline AntObserver - Posted July 16 2023 - 11:37 AM

AntObserver

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
My Camponotus Vicinus LOVE insects and have taken Crickets, Mealworms, Fruit Flies, and Roaches. All have been chopped up though so it was more opportunistic scavenger feeding. This is an awesome list, great info 💚🐜🐜🍻

#160 Offline Puddingtempest - Posted July 17 2023 - 1:25 AM

Puddingtempest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

somewhat surprising but my myrmica rubra  were quite keen on bone marrow (from lamb).  Maybe once in a while they need some fat in the diet.  Or they could be interested in the micronutrients.

Edited by Puddingtempest, July 17 2023 - 2:55 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feeding, food, eat, preferred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users