• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any Reasons Why My Prenolepis imparis Isn’t Laying Eggs?

eggs colony winter ants feeding brood

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 17 2024 - 11:16 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
So it’s been a while since I caught my P. imparis queen; about a year. She now has a colony of about 30 or so workers, all nice and healthy, with only one death in the past three weeks. I noticed that they never, yeah and I mean NEVER laid any eggs after reaching about 30 workers. I feed them protein (as in mealworms) and sugar water, along with honey, but still no eggs. Is it something to do with feeding issues, like the same food as in protein, since I always feed them mealworms, as a protein source; or is it a temperature problem, because it is 72º F range in my ant room, and I heard that they prefer colder temperature to thrive. Or is it a housing problem? I do have a Bifurcated Mini Hearth at hand, so I could use that, but I just wanted to know, because this is really surprising me; ever since I moved them into a clean test tube.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 17 2024 - 12:59 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Have you ever tried hibernating them? Despite liking cold temperatures, prenolepis imparis still require an actual diapause in the fridge
  • futurebird and rptraut like this

#3 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 17 2024 - 1:26 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Have you ever tried hibernating them? Despite liking cold temperatures, prenolepis imparis still require an actual diapause in the fridge

No, I actually haven’t tried that. I thought about it before, but I knew that they would relax, or take a break in the summer time.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 17 2024 - 1:41 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
that's definitely it then. Many ants will stop laying eggs until after hibernation, so putting them in the fridge for a few months should fix this issue.

Edited by Manitobant, February 17 2024 - 1:43 PM.

• rptraut likes this

#5 Offline FormiCanada - Posted February 20 2024 - 8:48 AM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

So it’s been a while since I caught my P. imparis queen; about a year. She now has a colony of about 30 or so workers, all nice and healthy, with only one death in the past three weeks. I noticed that they never, yeah and I mean NEVER laid any eggs after reaching about 30 workers. I feed them protein (as in mealworms) and sugar water, along with honey, but still no eggs. Is it something to do with feeding issues, like the same food as in protein, since I always feed them mealworms, as a protein source; or is it a temperature problem, because it is 72º F range in my ant room, and I heard that they prefer colder temperature to thrive. Or is it a housing problem? I do have a Bifurcated Mini Hearth at hand, so I could use that, but I just wanted to know, because this is really surprising me; ever since I moved them into a clean test tube.

These ants are popular amongst antkeepers because they resemble honeypot ants with their distended abdomens. Although this is their selling point, they're generally very idle ants and don't really do much. The fridge or cold-cellar will do well, as would a cooler basement. 

Otherwise, your colony has a nice set of workers and is doing well! Make sure that their environment doesn't dry up as they don't do well in dry conditions at all.

Cheers!

• rptraut and Artisan_Ants like this

#6 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 20 2024 - 11:09 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

These ants are popular amongst antkeepers because they resemble honeypot ants with their distended abdomens. Although this is their selling point, they're generally very idle ants and don't really do much. The fridge or cold-cellar will do well, as would a cooler basement. 

Otherwise, your colony has a nice set of workers and is doing well! Make sure that their environment doesn't dry up as they don't do well in dry conditions at all.

Cheers!
Thanks for the information! I’ll try and keep them on an ice pack, and see if that helps (I’ll switch it out often) but if that doesn’t work then I’ll just put them in my fridge with the rest of my hibernating colonies. Although it is pretty cold in there so I’m considering to get a cooling mat, since it won’t creat condensation like that of and ice pack. Anyways, thanks for the info.

• FormiCanada likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#7 Offline FormiCanada - Posted February 20 2024 - 11:33 AM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Cheers!
Thanks for the information! I’ll try and keep them on an ice pack, and see if that helps (I’ll switch it out often) but if that doesn’t work then I’ll just put them in my fridge with the rest of my hibernating colonies. Although it is pretty cold in there so I’m considering to get a cooling mat, since it won’t creat condensation like that of and ice pack. Anyways, thanks for the info.

I've never heard of a cooling mat before! I would recommend simply to put them in the fridge. Condensation is bound to happen regardless and it's best not to "maintain" the ants regularly. They like their peace and quiet. 

Cheers!

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#8 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 20 2024 - 12:21 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Cheers!

I've never heard of a cooling mat before! I would recommend simply to put them in the fridge. Condensation is bound to happen regardless and it's best not to "maintain" the ants regularly. They like their peace and quiet. 
Cheers!
Thanks for the info! I’ll get them into my fridge as fast as possible. And a cooling mat is a mat you can use for reptiles. It’s basically a heating mat for reptiles, but you can reduce the temperature as needed.
  • FormiCanada likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#9 Offline FormiCanada - Posted February 20 2024 - 1:12 PM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Cheers!

Cheers!
Thanks for the info! I’ll get them into my fridge as fast as possible. And a cooling mat is a mat you can use for reptiles. It’s basically a heating mat for reptiles, but you can reduce the temperature as needed.

Is there a human-sized one that I can use in the summer ? hahaha

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eggs, colony, winter ants, feeding, brood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users