• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rbarreto's Ant Journal

ontario canada ottawa

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#121 Offline rbarreto - Posted November 22 2019 - 10:29 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

I'm glad these guys are still active, they are super easy to keep! The seeds don't go bad and are easy to clean up, they store so many that I rarely have to feed them, they're super active, and they suck at climbing.

They have reached around 25 workers with a few more on the way, they seem to love dandelions seeds above all others. I have had problems getting them to accept insect protein though, they took in a few fruit flies but have rejected all superworms and mealworms. The one thing they did go crazy over was the unmated Camponotus novaeboracensis alate I gave them, they picked her clean.

They are still in the process of moving into the minihearth, seems nothing can make them fully commit lol (might dump the rest of them in soon).

1LlguX8l.jpg

i2tYK5Xl.jpg

tT9wnCql.jpg

MXFF9xSl.jpg

cOI77ZFl.jpg

TLUCG0Hl.jpg

9b6HSRol.jpg

JTDBJ9cl.jpg

ZI5aGDyl.jpg

Edited by rbarreto, November 22 2019 - 11:18 AM.

• Lazarus, Nare, ANTdrew and 2 others like this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#122 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 22 2019 - 5:24 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

G7aPXRwl.jpg

I know this is really old, but due to the lighter mesosomas in the workers and the polygynous behavior of the queens, these look strikingly like Tetramorium tsushimae.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#123 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 22 2019 - 7:48 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
My Pogonomyrmex take insect protein more often than seeds.... Any idea why? I'm feeding them crickets, chia seeds and wheat grass seeds.

#124 Offline rbarreto - Posted November 25 2019 - 10:06 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

G7aPXRwl.jpg

I know this is really old, but due to the lighter mesosomas in the workers and the polygynous behavior of the queens, these look strikingly like Tetramorium tsushimae.
Not polygynous, they 95% of the time kill the extra queens as soon as workers arrive. We also don't have T. tsushimae here in Ontario.

My Pogonomyrmex take insect protein more often than seeds.... Any idea why? I'm feeding them crickets, chia seeds and wheat grass seeds.

Maybe try other seeds? Mine love dandelion and Kentucky blue grass seeds.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Check our my store here!

#125 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 27 2019 - 10:01 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Not polygynous, they 95% of the time kill the extra queens as soon as workers arrive. We also don't have T. tsushimae here in Ontario. 

I meant your colony specifically. I know there is no record and chances slim, but due to their invasive nature (and relatively close proximity to infested states like Illinois), I wouldn't put it past them.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#126 Offline Canadian anter - Posted November 27 2019 - 2:23 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Pretty sur I sold a tsushimae colony earlier this yewr
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#127 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 28 2019 - 12:50 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Pretty sur I sold a tsushimae colony earlier this yewr

Yeah and I own that tshushimae colony. They are much more red than what he has here.

Edited by Manitobant, November 28 2019 - 12:51 PM.

#128 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 28 2019 - 6:39 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I know I have two Tetramorium species around, no matter what AntMaps might say. Either one of them's tsushimae, or it's a rare or undiscovered species (presumably the former, though).

#129 Offline AntsBC - Posted November 30 2019 - 11:45 AM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Small update, the queen I had been labeling as Formica rubicunda is actually another pergandei queen. Contrary to what antwiki would have you believe, Formica rubicunda only accepts subserecia complex hosts. This comes straight from Dr. Trager so I'm inclined to believe it hahaha. I now have four Formica pergandei queens all with Formica incerta hosts. The formerly F. rubicunda will be queen 1, the dual queens will be 2 &3, and the fourth winged queen will be number 4.

Formica pergandei

Queen 1

These guys are doing the best by far. They still have one large larvae and have been moved into a minihearth (dirty tube)

mjozqFll.jpg

SP94IINl.jpg

Queen 2 & 3

No brood for these two but they get along great and have managed to keep a relatively clean test tube.

oqv2eTYl.jpg

Queen 4

This queen is definitely doing the worst. she's the one who killed like 30 workers before some finally accepted her. That being said even though she fought so much she doesn't seem injured at all. She also had the moldiest test tube by far so I am in the process of moving them.

Sorry for calling you out on this, but using the acceptance of hosts inside an artificial environment is not a reliable way to pinpoint identifications.  Inside a culture, parasitic queens may accept species that they would not naturally.  I could go more in depth on the reasoning behind this, but I think you can understand why without me doing so.

That being said, I have not spent the time to try to identify the queen in question for you, so I can not comment on whether your assessment was right or wrong.  I am just pointing out that the method you used to classify the queen as F. pergandei is not a reliable one.

Edited by AntsBC, November 30 2019 - 11:46 AM.

• Nare likes this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#130 Offline rbarreto - Posted November 30 2019 - 4:01 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Small update, the queen I had been labeling as Formica rubicunda is actually another pergandei queen. Contrary to what antwiki would have you believe, Formica rubicunda only accepts subserecia complex hosts. This comes straight from Dr. Trager so I'm inclined to believe it hahaha. I now have four Formica pergandei queens all with Formica incerta hosts. The formerly F. rubicunda will be queen 1, the dual queens will be 2 &3, and the fourth winged queen will be number 4.

Formica pergandei
Queen 1
These guys are doing the best by far. They still have one large larvae and have been moved into a minihearth (dirty tube)

mjozqFll.jpg

SP94IINl.jpg

Queen 2 & 3
No brood for these two but they get along great and have managed to keep a relatively clean test tube.

oqv2eTYl.jpg

Queen 4
This queen is definitely doing the worst. she's the one who killed like 30 workers before some finally accepted her. That being said even though she fought so much she doesn't seem injured at all. She also had the moldiest test tube by far so I am in the process of moving them.

Sorry for calling you out on this, but using the acceptance of hosts inside an artificial environment is not a reliable way to pinpoint identifications.  Inside a culture, parasitic queens may accept species that they would not naturally.  I could go more in depth on the reasoning behind this, but I think you can understand why without me doing so.

That being said, I have not spent the time to try to identify the queen in question for you, so I can not comment on whether your assessment was right or wrong.  I am just pointing out that the method you used to classify the queen as F. pergandei is not a reliable one.

Dr. Trager and MILTA are the ones who IDed these queens lol. That's one of the criteria they used.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Check our my store here!

#131 Offline rbarreto - Posted January 3 2020 - 11:23 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

These guys had no workers and no brood for about a week. I stopped checking on them for a while and I was on the verge of throwing them in the fridge when suddenly I saw this! I guess I won't hibernate them this year hahaha.

ZkfY1Isl.jpg

K5BKrQAl.jpg

Check our my store here!

#132 Offline rbarreto - Posted January 22 2020 - 7:58 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
I took all my ants out of hibernation this week. I'm very excited to start year three of my antkeeping journey. I've found that my interest lies mostly with parasitic Formica so I will be trying to find more of them this coming July.

O1bbw9Ol.jpg

Formica pergandei
Single queen
Unfortunately the pergandei worked died during hibernation, she was quite small so I'm not surprised. She was also covered in a pretty gross white mold so I wasn't able to take pictures. I'm confident this queen will lay again.

Dual queen
Trying to get these guys to move into a bamboo tube (picture).

deA74u7l.jpg

Formica cf. integra
Only two host workers left. I'm hoping they won't die before things defrost and I can find more or the queen finally lays some eggs.

Camponotus novaeboracensis
Took these guys out about 3 days ago, watching them wake up is always fun. The queen hasn't layed yet but I just gave them a piece of superworm which they quickly started to munch on. I'm predicting some pretty huge growth from this colony this year, hopefully I can keep up!

kcBCM1ml.jpg

CYfxvr6l.jpg

YRseXhQl.jpg

sywHcqql.jpg

gzdcqy4l.jpg

Edited by rbarreto, January 22 2020 - 9:24 AM.

• Ants4fun, TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Check our my store here!

#133 Offline Lazarus - Posted January 24 2020 - 1:00 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Took these guys out about 3 days ago, watching them wake up is always fun. The queen hasn't layed yet but I just gave them a piece of superworm which they quickly started to munch on. I'm predicting some pretty huge growth from this colony this year, hopefully I can keep up!

Yep, they should explode in numbers at this stage. Should go 200-300. I doubt that TH setup will be big enough to contain them and may end up restricting their growth. I'd start looking for a bigger setup soon.

• rbarreto and ANTdrew like this

My online ant spreadsheet

#134 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 24 2020 - 2:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I hope your third year of ant-keeping is the best yet. Formica is a goal for me this year as is finding Pheidole queens. I’m still enjoying hibernation at the moment, but I’m starting to get the itch again.
  • TennesseeAnts and rbarreto like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#135 Offline rbarreto - Posted January 24 2020 - 3:49 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Yep, they should explode in numbers at this stage. Should go 200-300. I doubt that TH setup will be big enough to contain them and may end up restricting their growth. I'd start looking for a bigger setup soon.

Yea I've got some tubing and I'm planning on giving them a satellite nest. Just some basic tubs and tubes until next year when I can afford a larger nest. I would make my own but this year of university is killing me, I've got no time.

• Lazarus likes this

Check our my store here!

#136 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 24 2020 - 5:43 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
One of my most desired species is also a Formica. And they live only a mile away. I sure hope I can get the timings right.
  • rbarreto likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#137 Offline rbarreto - Posted February 1 2020 - 12:10 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

So far these guys have been the perfect colony. They can't escape, grow quickly, and rarely need to be fed.

Formica pergandei
Single queen
These guys like to hide behind the stalactites of the Miniheart. I have managed to catch glimpses of the queen and she's looking about as fat as I've ever seen her. They've also been accepting a lot of protein so I do have my hopes up.

Dual queen

Believe it or not these guys have eggs! It's hard to take pictures of them because I'm trying to get them to move into a bamboo tube so there won't be any until they do. This was really unexpected, I thought they were doing poorly but I guess not. We don't have many polygynous ants here in Canada so this makes me very excited.

Formica cf. integra

The queen unfortunately passed away.

Finally have a nice little batch of eggs. I added a heat cable and they all bunched up around it, its pretty cute.

OyyQvOYl.jpg

GiKvgCBl.jpg

niKfVE7l.jpg

Edited by rbarreto, February 1 2020 - 2:08 PM.

• Nare, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Check our my store here!

#138 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 1 2020 - 5:13 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

So far these guys have been the perfect colony. They can't escape, grow quickly, and rarely need to be fed.

I'm hoping TarHeelAnts commences shipping March 1 so I can buy some. 

#139 Offline rbarreto - Posted February 1 2020 - 5:35 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I'm hoping TarHeelAnts commences shipping March 1 so I can buy some. 

You might want to make sure they don't freeze while shipping.

Check our my store here!

#140 Offline rbarreto - Posted February 10 2020 - 12:40 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Okay big update time!

Still growing, I'm not sure if they're ever going to need hibernation. I accidentally over-watered the Minihearth and some condensation built up on the glass. These damn workers proceeded to place seed shells all over the glass which are now stuck there. Its harder to take nice pictures of them.

hPkCtGVl.jpg

NbzAyKCl.jpg

2HMp5iKl.jpg

Formica pergandei
Single queen
As you guys can see from what I said in the parasitic Formica thread here, A pergandei worker survived hibernation! She must have been hiding behind the stalactites the whole time. This colony has some large larvae and the pergandei worker is actually taking care of the brood pile! This brings my hopes up that this species could grow independently of host workers. I will still steal some host brood for them but its nice to know I may not be dependent on finding random colonies. The larvae in the picture are even larger now! I'm sure they will pupate soon.

VCj8UJul.jpg

kF3oz1Vl.jpg

Dual queen

More eggs, they're consuming large amounts of protein and seem to be doing well. I wish they would move out of that moldy tube though.

bZ3V3Wtl.jpg

uPo1Uexl.jpg

Holy eggs, the pile grows larger everyday. Seeing how little these guys care about any disturbances at all is the reason they're my favorite colony.

OYRvPwVl.jpg

fkJdQc5l.jpg

KWIdyril.jpg

24IZ7sYl.jpg

Lasius claviger

Just took these guys out of hibernation, hopefully my fortunes change with this species.

AggzWqbl.jpg

TQbzUDhl.jpg

K8nPZiUl.jpg

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Check our my store here!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ontario, canada, ottawa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users