• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant species of New Brunswick, Canada

ant canada new brunwick oberving journal collecting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kingofthephil - Posted July 12 2022 - 10:04 AM

kingofthephil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey folks. 

I started ant keeping this Spring, and I really love it.

I'd like to learn as much as I can about the species in my province, and ideally see as many as I can in doing so. I've seen a paper estimating that there could be as many as 90 species in New Brunswick, but there are only around 50 documented species using using Antmaps, Antwiki, iNaturalist, and my own observations. 

So now for a bit of an odd request! If anyone has time to look at my NB ants spreadsheet for missing species/mistakes/etc. I'd appreciate then help. If you have experience in the area, can add helpful comments about tagging, flights, etc. it would be super helpful. 

This may turn into a project such as a small printable guide sheet. Still mulling it over!

Here are the species I have found myself so far:

- Brachymyrmex depilis
- Camponotus herculeanus
- Camponotus novaeboracensis - Currently keeping one queen
- Camponotus pennsylvanicus - Currently keeping one queen
- Dolichoderus mariae
- Dolichoderus plagiatus
- Dolichoderus taschenbergi
- Formica argentea
- Formica subsericea
- Formica ulkei 
- Lasius americanus
- Lasius neoniger
- Lasius subumbratus

I'm excited to share my progress on this journal about both keeping and observing as many species as possible here.

Phil

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 12 2022 - 10:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck with the search! If you do not already have a copy of A Field Guide to the Ants of New England by Ellsworth, Gotelli, Farnsworth, and Alpert, I highly recommend buying a copy.
  • lazyant and FloridaAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Canadant - Posted July 13 2022 - 2:44 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Hello fellow Canadian. I'm across the bay from you in Nova Scotia. I'm currently raising Camponotus herculeanus. Where bouts are you in NB?

I noticed you did not have Crematogaster on the list. Probably both cerasi and lineolata are there. They are here in NS.

I wonder if you guys have Tetramorium there somewhere too. I have heard they're here in Halifax but I haven't seen them.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 13 2022 - 4:37 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hello fellow Canadian. I'm across the bay from you in Nova Scotia. I'm currently raising Camponotus herculeanus. Where bouts are you in NB?
I noticed you did not have Crematogaster on the list. Probably both cerasi and lineolata are there. They are here in NS.
I wonder if you guys have Tetramorium there somewhere too. I have heard they're here in Halifax but I haven't seen them.

I certainly hope you don't have tetramorium...

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#5 Offline kingofthephil - Posted July 13 2022 - 5:46 PM

kingofthephil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the welcome @canadant! I'm in Fredericton. I lived in HFX for 4 years before moving back to NB last fall.

Possibly Tetramorium immigrans @ants_dakota I'm working out an ID for this queens I found today.

@antdrew I plan on buying it now!! Thanks for that suggestion

#6 Offline kingofthephil - Posted July 13 2022 - 5:52 PM

kingofthephil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is an image

Attached Images

• 20220713_211519.jpg

Edited by kingofthephil, July 13 2022 - 5:54 PM.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 14 2022 - 1:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That looks like Tetramorium to me.

Edited by ANTdrew, July 14 2022 - 1:56 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 14 2022 - 4:54 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Thanks for the welcome @canadant! I'm in Fredericton. I lived in HFX for 4 years before moving back to NB last fall.
Possibly Tetramorium immigrans @ants_dakota I'm working out an ID for this queens I found today.
@antdrew I plan on buying it now!! Thanks for that suggestion

It is an easier and aggressive species to keep, so you will enjoy it. the native ant colonies around you, on the other hand...
  • kingofthephil likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#9 Offline kingofthephil - Posted July 14 2022 - 6:40 AM

kingofthephil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's a shame that they are invasive. Very beautiful queen. I'm planning to capture any I find if I can accurately ID them. I'm sure lots of ant keepers would be happy to take them so they aren't messing with local ant colonies.

#10 Offline Canadant - Posted July 14 2022 - 1:59 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
I have the Ants of New England and its great. I lived in Freddytown for two years. Winters too cold for me! 😀

Just when I mention Tetramorium.... there is a queen. They're awesome
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#11 Offline kingofthephil - Posted July 16 2022 - 10:28 AM

kingofthephil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Happy to say that I caught and started a few Lasius subumbratu queens off with some queenless Lasuis ants and brood. 

They have made it to day three with no queen fatalities and generally happy behaviour. The queens and workers that I did pair up have been happy to groom each other, share food, and generally getting along (minus a few workers that attacked the queen, and now are serving as perfume for the queens).

I'll post some photos of these queens, especially if the colonies do found successfully. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant, canada, new brunwick, oberving, journal, collecting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users