• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NicholasP's Family of Camponotus Alotus

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 14 2021 - 7:23 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I would like to introduce my Camponotus vafer which I received from someone whos a GAN farmer on AntsCanada.com and when I took these home with me I saw that most of the workers kind of had a beautiful wafer like color especially the newborn workers! So right then and there I thought to myself "Why don't I name them The Wafers!" and so then that was their permanent name! More then a month ago I went with some friends up into the mountains of Tucson in search for some ants and we had a pretty good harvest but the main thing that I was interested in is the Camponotus ocreatus brood we aspirated there. Originally 1/2 of the ocreatus brood was intended for my Camponotus modoc queen but then the Modoc queen died after hibernation. So, my Camponotus Vafer were very lucky to receiver the Camponotus modoc queen's brood. So now they're enjoying the DIY Mini Hearth that I made. Let me know what you think about this journal guys!

Attached Images

• P1011886.JPG

Edited by NicholasP, June 30 2022 - 9:58 PM.

• Karma, NickAnter, Chickalo and 2 others like this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 14 2021 - 8:06 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Awesome! A first for the forum! Excellent photo, and I hope these continue to do well.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 14 2021 - 8:27 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

WOW! I never realized until now that I'm actually the only one with a Camponotus vafer journal! Thank you for reading my journal! I'll try to take good care of these ants! :)

Edited by NicholasP, January 30 2022 - 7:05 AM.

#4 Online ZTYguy - Posted April 14 2021 - 9:08 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Wow! Such gorgeous ants. So beautiful and I hope this journal lasts for a long time. Good luck!!!

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#5 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 14 2021 - 10:13 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Wow! Such gorgeous ants. So beautiful and I hope this journal lasts for a long time. Good luck!!!

Thank you very much ZTYguy!

• ZTYguy likes this

#6 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 27 2022 - 10:22 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I have come back with an update. Since almost a year ago the colony started dying out and not laying. I had messed up the nest water tower... So, the water tower wasn't providing adequate amount of water and unfortunately, they started dying quickly. Then, they didn't want to take food at all. So now I have decided to change the title of this journal to "NicholasP's Festive Camponotus festinatus".

I recently acquired the colony while I was in Payson, Arizona. As I was looking for ants there. I flipped a rock and found a colony of Camponotus festinatus. I saw the queen in the colony but decided against aspirating her into a vial since the colony seemed to be a mature size. So, I kept on flipping rocks finding Pheidole hyatti too, but the colony was also mature. So, after several more minutes of flipping rocks, I had found several colonies all too big though for me to want to aspirate. At last, I found a colony with the queen there.

They seemed to have 100 workers in total. So, I proceeded to aspirate the queen first. She was one chunky queen that almost didn't get through the aspirator, but in the end, I got her in. So, I now decided to aspirate as many majors as I could since they would be very important in the colony since they'd most likely be repletified or be used to kill any prey given to them. I aspirated around 10+ so now the last part was to aspirate the larvae and minors of the colony. At that point I started feeling or tasting a citrus like kind of smell or feeling. I stopped to think what the heck it was and then I realized... That was no citrus but instead formic acid... That I had been aspirating! I didn't know what to do and I wasn't able to notice at first when I was aspirating the formic acid with ants because I had lost my sense of smell almost completely just over a month ago due to the thing that's spreading among everyone right now, but that's not really important right now So, I decided that my only option was to carefully instead of aspirating I would need to breath outwards of the aspirator to push the acid out. I pushed slowly the air out of my lungs and after a couple of times doing that it was mostly normal so I started aspirating the ants again and I had to do it quick now because I knew I'd have to do that several more times and I knew it would be hard to do because I was already struggling coughing quite a bit... But I had to do it for the ants. I was not going to leave a single worker that I saw behind. after around 25 minutes later all the workers I was able to find were aspirated.

I went to my car to grab a plastic container I had to put them all into. Once they were in the container, I took a moment to actually admire and look at the beauty of these festinatus. The workers were a beautiful yellow. Kind of like Myrmecocystus navajo but as Camponotus. I noticed the colony was very well fed since the minors were gorged on liquids as their gasters were buldging with liquid.

Once I got home, I decided to start making a balsa wood ant nest for them since I had tons of Balsa wood lying around. I made a video of the process of making the nest which will be posted on my Youtube channel demonstrating how to make Miles Maxcer's balsa wood ant nest but instead with laser cut materials I showed how to make the nest with a Hacksaw and Coping saw. Fast forward to today and the nest is very close to complete. I have drilled magnet holes. The last steps are to cut the Plexi Glass, add the balsa wood sidings, glue in the magnets, and set it in the outworld so my Camponotus can move in. I will keep you all posted on how this goes! 

Attached Images

• 20220127_082349.jpg

Edited by NicholasP, January 30 2022 - 7:04 AM.

• Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and PaigeX like this

#7 Offline OiledOlives - Posted January 27 2022 - 10:50 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Looks great! How will the nest be hydrated?

• Antkeeper01 and PetsNotPests like this

#8 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 27 2022 - 12:15 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

The nest will be hydrated Via 1-2 Tar Heel Ants style nest mates that I have made.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#9 Offline OiledOlives - Posted January 27 2022 - 3:06 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Are you sure that these will work? I didn't hydrate the water tower and relied on a nestmate for a Mini Hearth and this killed one of my Formica colonies.

#10 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 27 2022 - 4:33 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Are you sure that these will work? I didn't hydrate the water tower and relied on a nestmate for a Mini Hearth and this killed one of my Formica colonies.

It will. I highly doubt Miles Maxcer would post a tutorial on how to do a wooden ant nest that solely relies on nestmates to have many fail with their colonies.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#11 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 27 2022 - 4:35 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Also the other reason why your Formica died was because you didn't give an open water source. With nests that rely solely on Nestmates you need to make sure you have an open source of water like a test tube full of water.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#12 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 27 2022 - 6:08 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Well, I just found a second colony of festinatus in Payson! So now we will have 2 colonies! What should we name the queens? I will post pictures when I get home.

• Antkeeper01 and OiledOlives like this

#13 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 28 2022 - 7:01 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Well, I just found a second colony of festinatus in Payson! So now we will have 2 colonies! What should we name the queens? I will post pictures when I get home.

name the second queen you have: queen scarlet.

Edited by antsriondel, January 28 2022 - 7:02 AM.

#14 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 28 2022 - 8:38 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Wings of Fire reference?

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#15 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 28 2022 - 8:59 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

name... fireworks

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#16 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 28 2022 - 10:59 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Wings of Fire reference?

100%, I love the wings of fire books.they are AWESOME

• Antkeeper01 and Leptomyrmx like this

#17 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 29 2022 - 3:55 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Well I just sent pictures to my friends of close ups and turns out they're actually NOT Festinatus they're actually Camponotus pudorosus so that's the first record of pudorosus in Payson, Arizona!  :yahoo: pudorosus are basically festinatus with slightly different colors but one massive difference. They're polygynous which explains why 2 days ago when I was hunting for ants in Payson I saw 2 festinatus looking queens in a colony! So, I guess time to change the title again! This time though to "NicholasP's Suspicious Camponotus pudoro(sus)". I will include pictures of them tonight.

Edited by NicholasP, January 30 2022 - 7:00 AM.

#18 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 29 2022 - 11:38 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I have decided to conduct an experiment with my pudorosus! Well... Actually 2! One I will do no matter what and the other I want you guys to vote on if I should do it. The first experiment is since I have 2 colonies, I want to try breeding them together and if I get 3 colonies total before any get alates I will have 3 that can mate together. I'm wanting to attempt this experiment to see if Camponotus pudorosus can actually breed in captivity and to see if pudorosus are only Polygynous or can also be Oligynous where they found together but afterwards will present aggression towards each other when in close contact, but the workers will show no to aggression to either queen. A perfect example of this is CheetoLord02's video (Novomessor showcase: cockerelli and polygynous albisetosus! - YouTube) . The second experience that I need you guys to vote on with either "Yes" or "No" is to see whether we should proceed and see if the colonies can merge and/or tolerate each other when in close proximity. If this option is chosen with more than half saying "Yes" then I will have major precautions in this. One, I will attach both or all three nests at the same time so one doesn't get more scent than the other. Two, if there's a massive amount of aggression where one starts killing the other which by that I mean more than three workers killed I will remove the intruding workers and close off the entrances and end the experiment. I want to make sure any experiments taken that are potentially dangerous like the last one have precautions in place to be taken in case if anything goes poorly and I am not doing this for gladiator fights, I just want to study these ants since it appears I'm the only one on the forum currently that owns Camponotus pudorosus.

All votes will be counted on January 31 at 8:00PM.

Edited by NicholasP, January 30 2022 - 6:57 AM.

#19 Online ANTdrew - Posted January 30 2022 - 4:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Capitalize genus, but leave species name lower case.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#20 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 30 2022 - 7:02 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Ok. I've capitalized the Genus and lowercased the species name.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users