• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Formicarium 09 Research and Design (Updated 11-12-2023)

formicarium out world ant nest how-to tutorial dspdrew

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#181 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 20 2017 - 5:12 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Nah... You lost me at this point. Went off in a direct that I'm not interested and do not like the style or set up.

Good luck to ya though!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#182 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 20 2017 - 5:56 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nah... You lost me at this point. Went off in a direct that I'm not interested and do not like the style or set up.

Good luck to ya though!

You like the old one and don't like the new one? If so, that's interesting. None of the changes were about style, only functionality.

#183 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 20 2017 - 6:10 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeaaah....I like the box-with in-box, I understand the water pipe/reservoir to hold them all..... wasn't too sure how to articulate exactly what my feelings were towards my dislike of them, and needed to start the work day so I just went with a "Nah.."

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#184 Offline Jelly - Posted March 20 2017 - 10:17 AM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I like the style of this "dirt box" so many improvements!

what's your hydration medium? Looks like a chuck of foam?

#185 Offline XZero38 - Posted March 20 2017 - 11:36 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

the white layer at the bottom is a layer i think he said 1/8 inch of hydrostone

#186 Offline Jelly - Posted March 20 2017 - 2:07 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

the white layer at the bottom is a layer i think he said 1/8 inch of hydrostone

Yes, youre right.... it says it in the past post. IDK how i missed it! Thanks!

#187 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 20 2017 - 4:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeaaah....I like the box-with in-box, I understand the water pipe/reservoir to hold them all..... wasn't too sure how to articulate exactly what my feelings were towards my dislike of them, and needed to start the work day so I just went with a "Nah.."

I'm still not following you here. You like the box within a box? That's pretty much everything in this thread. Also not sure what you mean by "water pipe/reservoir to hold them all". Did you read through the whole post?

#188 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 21 2017 - 5:08 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yes. It would be easier to actually chat about it but my chat doesn't seem to work now!

#189 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 23 2017 - 9:59 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

The clean functional work here is amazing, I am so confused as to whether invest time into this or try to purchase crazy legs stuff. ( - _{ }_ -) <--- my head tearing in half.

#190 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 26 2017 - 1:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Before I start setting all these new dirt boxes up, I decided to get a definite answer as to what material or substrate will hold the most water (water holding capacity). I have always just filled the inner container up with the same clay/sand mixture that the ants live in, but I would like to know once and for all what would keep these nests hydrated the longest. I did a lot of research online, but most of the information is very specific to particular hobbies, and doesn't include the materials I would like to know about. Also as always, there is a lot of conflicting or confusing information. From what I have read, clay supposedly holds the most water of any substrate, because it has the most surface area (the extremely small particles obviously). I always knew that that gave it some very strong capillary action, like Hydrostone does. I know materials like that can pull water upward a relatively long distance.

I like to just answers these questions for myself by doing a simple experiment. Here I just filled a bunch of cups up with approximately the same volume of material/substrate and rigged them up to be able to soak up water from some of my small water tanks. I put tape across the tops of all the cups to cut down on any evaporation; this isn't going to take very long, so there shouldn't be too much. when it's all over, whichever tank has the lowest water level will be the winner.

I poked holes in the bottoms of all these cups, applied some tape across the bottoms, and poured about 3mm of Hydrostone in them. This allows them to soak up water, without any allowing anything to leak out.

med_gallery_2_295_532721.jpg

Not pretty, but does the job.

med_gallery_2_295_1110059.jpg

I tried a few different materials and substrates: clay dirt, fine sand, cellulose sponge, powdered perlite, solid Hydrostone (completely dried), clay/sand mixture, compressed sphagnum moss, regular perlite.

med_gallery_2_295_889665.jpg

Made a few water tanks that I will be needing anyway for all the new founding formicariums I recently made.

med_gallery_2_295_1337526.jpg

The competition begins. :)

med_gallery_2_295_839660.jpg

My guess is either the clay dirt, powdered perlite, or the Hydrostone will soak up the most water simply because of the particle size, but I'm not completely sure, which is the reason for this experiment. Also, some of the materials I already know are going to soak up less than the others, like the fine sand for instance, but I'm just curious to see HOW much less.
  • drtrmiller, Del and Jelly like this

#191 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 26 2017 - 3:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
The differences between the results are too close for the margin of error in measurements. For some reason I thought the results wouldn't be so close. It is obvious however, which 3 soaked up the most water--the clay dirt, powdered perlite, and sphagnum moss.

Clay dirt

med_gallery_2_295_1078245.jpg

Fine sand

med_gallery_2_295_565452.jpg

Cellulose sponge

med_gallery_2_295_156343.jpg

Powdered perlite

med_gallery_2_295_498300.jpg

Solid Hydrostone

med_gallery_2_295_95101.jpg

Clay/sand mixture

med_gallery_2_295_1052880.jpg

Compressed sphagnum moss

med_gallery_2_295_1436250.jpg

Regular perlite

med_gallery_2_295_387138.jpg

The Hydrostone actually did as bad as the sand. I guess even though it does have very strong capillary action, it just doesn't hold much water.

The clay/sand mixture, which I think is more sand than clay dirt, did about as well as I would imagine after seeing the results of the pure clay, and pure sand--not so well.

Right away I can see the hydration in these things can definitely be improved.

I'm going to redo the test much more accurately for the clay dirt, powdered perlite, and sphagnum moss. I'm also going to see if I can add a PVA sponge to the test as well.
  • T.C., Antking117 and antaioli like this

#192 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 26 2017 - 8:13 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

This is important information scientist drew. Very curious about the upcoming outcome.

#193 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 26 2017 - 11:28 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Time for the next experiment.

I used some old collection containers this time so I could pack the sphagnum moss in better, and get more even amounts of the other substrates in each. This time I measured out the exact same amount of Hydrostone (5.5g) in the bottom of each.

med_gallery_2_295_516397.jpg

Once fully dried, I filled them all the way to the tops, except for the one with the PVA sponge and the one with the sphagnum moss, because those need a little room to expand as they fill with water. The fine particle substrates I packed in a little bit.

This time I'm testing (pictured in this order) PVA sponge, powdered perlite, clay dirt, sphagnum moss, and powdered vermiculite. I weighed them each before putting them on the water tanks, so I can weight them later and find out precisely how much water each one has absorbed. You can see the dry weight written on the container.

med_gallery_2_295_291930.jpg

Total dry weight (g):

PVA sponge - 26.4g
Powdered perlite - 35.7g
Clay dirt - 70.1g
Sphagnum moss - 26.0g
Powdered vermiculite - 30.6g

The competition is on.
  • antaioli likes this

#194 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 27 2017 - 4:58 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Random number generator told me to put it all on 2...so come on.... sand? Go sand!

• Martialis likes this

#195 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 27 2017 - 7:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

No sand in this experiment.

#196 Offline XZero38 - Posted March 27 2017 - 7:58 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Random number generator told me to put it all on 2...so come on.... sand? Go sand!

I'm guessing that #2 is the powdered perlite. I'm also guessing that the way they are in the picture is the same order he named them in. 

#197 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 27 2017 - 8:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Im guessing that #2 is the powdered perlite. Im also guessing that the way they are in the picture is the same order he named them in. 

Exactly. That's what the "(pictured in this order)" meant. :lol:

#198 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 27 2017 - 8:08 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Fine sand

med_gallery_2_295_565452.jpg

I meant this but didn't see test A was completed and now test B is underway.

#199 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 27 2017 - 8:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yup yup. I'm going to check the results right now I think.

#200 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 27 2017 - 8:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wow, I can't believe how long it's taking for these to saturate. Some of them, like the PVA sponge, are barely wet on the tops. Anyway, i filled the water tanks all the way up to saturate the sponges as much as possible, which should speed things up a bit. I also got some measurements while doing it.

Here's the rough running totals (g H2O):

PVA sponge - 10g

Powdered perlite - 20g

Clay dirt - 13g

Sphagnum moss - 20g

Powdered vermiculite - 23g

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, out world, ant nest, how-to, tutorial, dspdrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users