• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Formicarium 09 Research and Design (Updated 11-12-2023)

formicarium out world ant nest how-to tutorial dspdrew

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#141 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 16 2016 - 7:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Where exactly do you find the cylinders for this?

I get them from a place called W.G.V. International, about 20 minutes from where I live.

About that mold experiment from earlier - wood has anti-microbic/anti-fungus substances in itself. Wood is dead material which means the tree can't really react if it gets infected so it has to deposit substances inside it before the cells die. By sterilizing it you may very well wash out or destroy these substances.
Also while working with wood clean hands and clean equipment are VERY important. Most of the mold is actually brought in when the wood is worked on.

Yeah I concluded the main reason wood molds so bad after sterilizing it, is the lack of springtails and other organisms that feed on fungus.

#142 Offline Serafine - Posted November 16 2016 - 10:37 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Most likely the moisture brought into the wood during sterilization has also something to do with it. You'd need to intensively dehydrate it after cleaning, like leaving it in a room with an air dryer for several weeks.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#143 Offline FSTP - Posted November 17 2016 - 1:51 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Most likely the moisture brought into the wood during sterilization has also something to do with it. You'd need to intensively dehydrate it after cleaning, like leaving it in a room with an air dryer for several weeks.

Perhaps placing the wood pieces in a desiccant would be more effective. Something like a silica gel

#144 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 17 2016 - 5:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's not hard to dry wood out to get rid of fungus. What's difficult is keeping it wet without fungus. Springtails solve that problem.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#145 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 17 2016 - 6:37 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeah....your cylinder looks of better quality compared to MSCDirect or Home depot. Is it glass?! 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#146 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 17 2016 - 10:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yes it's glass.

#147 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 17 2016 - 10:22 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Dang son, love it. ....guessing....$180? 

....................did you move the responses/threads around???? 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#148 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 17 2016 - 4:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Dang son, love it. ....guessing....$180? 

They're actually not that expensive--around $25 if I remember right. They are not as thick as they look. The very top and bottom are about 3/8" thick, but in the center they are only about 1/16" thick. They also have imperfections, as they are actually hand-made.

....................did you move the responses/threads around???? 

Say what?

#149 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 18 2016 - 1:46 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Dude I don't know. I come into work early morning and go through the site. It was one of those I thought I posted it over in this thread...but now its over in this one...when in all reality I think it was just a different page. But $25 dollars for a giant glass cylinder?! Where the heck are you getting/finding that! I was getting quotes for the "window pane" version, but slightly larger, and that was $160. Pretty sure the acrylic tube I've got was $60.... They do look mega thick. Handmade...who cares? Those be perfect for anting! I can't wait to see your bigger colonies get to work in them. 

#150 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 18 2016 - 5:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Acrylic tubes that large are VERY expensive. In general acrylic is much more expensive than glass. I get the vases from www.WholesaleGlassVasesInt.com.
  • drtrmiller likes this

#151 Offline Miles - Posted March 6 2017 - 8:25 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

med_gallery_2_295_767334.jpg

Where can I find these?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#152 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 6 2017 - 9:47 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Yeah, I would be interested in that as well!

YJK

#153 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 6 2017 - 9:52 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

First of all... Micron is different from Mesh. It's very easy to mix the two up. Micron refers to the internal diameter, "how easily things can pass" through if you will. 

Can't find my notes ..but I believe it was said that, "No ant can pass through 100micron screen." That being said, check amazon. It's looking cheaper than it was before that I was resorting to eBay. 

100 mesh would have 150Micron which would be overkill, but you use what you can. 

Edit:

A comparison chart! http://www.netafimus...h-vs-Micron.pdf

Also leaving my stupidity from before because that's how we all learn! Mesh actually refers to "How many openings are there in an inchXinch segment."

Edited by sgheaton, March 6 2017 - 11:50 AM.

• T.C. likes this

#154 Offline noobkeeper - Posted March 6 2017 - 11:41 AM

noobkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationItaly

Can't find my notes ..but I believe it was said that, "No ant can pass through 100micron screen."

Does this also apply to ants' brood? I mean, in a formicarium design of mine I'm going to use a 150 micron (100 mesh) mesh as the floor of the nest to allow humidity to pass through. Can I do that, or do I risk some eggs falling down?

1x Tapinoma nigerrimum (4 queens) ~200 workers

9x Lasius sp. (founding)

#155 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 6 2017 - 11:48 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

You know, I'm not sure. Good question. I would think you're fine... But I'll wait for someone who uses it with many species and actual experience to comment.

#156 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 6 2017 - 12:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

med_gallery_2_295_767334.jpg

Where can I find these?

https://www.mcmaster.com
  • Miles and Martialis like this

#157 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 7 2017 - 8:34 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Hi drew, would you be willing to sell one of the rotten wood set ups? My dad and I are very fascinated by this set up and would love to purchase one with a camponotous queen or any other tree ant if possible.

#158 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 18 2017 - 4:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I found the perfect little plug, and ordered what I thought would be a hand-full of them, only to find out I paid $4.50 for a single tiny 8 mm plug.

med_gallery_2_281_50638.jpg

I was pretty pissed, but that just gave me an even better idea. Since these plugs were black, and I would have preferred something more translucent to match the tank better, I just made a mold from the one I got, and then poured a whole bunch of them myself using translucent silicone.

I started with a resin mold of one.

med_gallery_2_281_486261.jpg

Then once I had four made, I lined them up inside a small square plastic container and made a silicone mold from all of them.

med_gallery_2_281_128634.jpg

med_gallery_2_281_385501.jpg

med_gallery_2_281_130202.jpg

These plugs are working great, and cost me hardly anything. Now I just have to create the plug for the water ports, and the tanks will be complete.

I have a much larger mold now, so I can make a lot more at once. :)

med_gallery_2_281_457097.jpg

I tried using some silicone pigment for the first time, and I like how it turned out.

I have some black ones now. :)

med_gallery_2_295_557163.jpg
  • Martialis likes this

#159 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 18 2017 - 4:45 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
You must be really proud of these plugs to have double posted them like this!

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#160 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 18 2017 - 6:05 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well the black ones have nothing to do with my fungus grower formicarium, and without some context here, this post might not make much sense. Plus, this information should be on both of these threads.

Edit: I guess until I make my next post, people still wouldn't have any idea what the black ones are for. :P

Edited by dspdrew, March 19 2017 - 2:58 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, out world, ant nest, how-to, tutorial, dspdrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users