• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crazy ants displacing fire ants in US

crazy ants nlanderia fulva fire ants

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 28 2014 - 10:08 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

"As their population swells, the ants, formally known as Nylanderia fulva (but also sometimes called Rasberry crazy ants in honor of the Texas exterminator that discovered them), are harming the environment—not to mention people’s homes and electronics. Now we have a new clue as to why they are able to prevail over the previously dominant fire ants: Crazy ants produce chemicals they then rub on themselves as an antidote to fire ant venom. And the acidic substance exuded from where a stinger would be located on other ant species also doubles as a chemical weapon they spray at foes, allowing the crazy ants to defeat competitors that would otherwise help keep them in check."

Full story in the Scientific American Magazine.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 28 2014 - 10:23 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is why I like my Nylanderia vividula colonies! (y) Then again, I keep Solenopsis invicta as well, but hey, whatever... Also the fact Nylanderia vividula are not the same thing as fulva, but whatever... again...

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 28 2014 - 10:27 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have already read about this though. Still pretty cool though, maybe RIFA will lose their throne.

#4 Offline dermy - Posted December 30 2014 - 12:31 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Oh noes not before they make it to Canada :(

J/King you can keep your RIFA and all that.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 30 2014 - 2:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh noes not before they make it to Canada :(

J/King you can keep your RIFA and all that.

I don't think RIFA likes the place you live.

#6 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 30 2014 - 3:45 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

65q24g4g5f

Edited by Vendayn, March 9 2018 - 7:15 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crazy ants, nlanderia fulva, fire ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users