• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What are the ants doing in these pictures?

ants fire ants

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Cali4nia - Posted May 24 2022 - 4:51 PM

Cali4nia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I was hoping people more knowledgeable of ants could help me understand what is going on here.

These pictures are from a second story window. We once saw a couple carpenter ants but we think there are thermites somewhere on the top of the window. The fire ants came in today and there has been constant activity.

In the first picture, there are lots of ant corpses. I've seen some of the fire ants carry these around. Not sure if they were fighting each other, the dead fell from the top of the window or they got taken out by some other insect.

In the second picture, a fire ant is carrying something white around. Most of the time, they get lost but a few have been able to carry things like that outside.

I'm so confused, hope you guys can provide some insight. Thanks

Attached Images

• 20220524_193630.jpg
  • 20220524_193619.jpg

Edited by Cali4nia, May 24 2022 - 4:52 PM.

#2 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 24 2022 - 5:26 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Those red ants are carpenter ants. The white things they are carrying around are pupae. 

• DDD101DDD, lazyant and Cali4nia like this

#3 Offline Cali4nia - Posted May 24 2022 - 6:11 PM

Cali4nia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Oh, then that explains a lot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, fire ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users