• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SF Bay Area Anters

• Please log in to reply
842 replies to this topic

#701 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 10 2020 - 1:44 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Yeah, any time! Well, I have kept this picture below for awhile and I think it is helpful. So, it depends on what kind of ant you want, but those are the months you can find different kinds of queen ants. Um, day is preferably the good time to find queen ants.

Attached Images

• EF02405C-DF45-43AB-BCCB-815B1ADB4462.jpeg

#Ants4Life

#702 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 2:01 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
This is mostly for the MidWest/NorthEast. California has a completely different set of species.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#703 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 10 2020 - 2:10 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Ok, well I found this: http://www.biodivers...ecies-list.html

Here is kinda all the types of species for America. So, PaxxMantid just look on this website for SW (South West) next to the ant species.

Edited by Thunder_Birds, March 10 2020 - 2:13 PM.

#Ants4Life

#704 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 12 2020 - 9:29 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
The queen ant spotting and mating chart here is far more accurate and detailed than AC’s videos... Good luck anting! :)
  • JimothyJ and Ants_Dakota like this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#705 Offline Vern530 - Posted March 12 2020 - 10:21 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationTexas
The best method for me has been finding local colonies, collecting a few workers and narrowing down the I’d through formiculture or other resources .then once you have an I’d search the forums and the web to pin down a flight- time of year and temps -then when the temps start getting close in that specific time of year start constantly observe those colonies or as much as possible.I've had lots of access to queens in high numbers this way .

#706 Online ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2020 - 9:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hi all - I am. a relatively new antkeeper, and am now living in Sonoma County. I live next to a giant wetland area in Petaluma, which seems like it would be productive! Does anyone have any tips about when to go hunting, where, etc? There hasn't been much rain, but some warm days around here. I am trying to get my head around how to know when to go search for ants!

Welcome back, man. I hope you can find some cool queens soon. Do you still have your old colonies?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#707 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 13 2020 - 2:02 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I’m in Santa Rosa and have available colonies if that’s of interest let me know

What do you have avaialble?  any large camponotous sp?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#708 Offline JenC - Posted March 13 2020 - 4:05 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

I’m in Santa Rosa and have available colonies if that’s of interest let me know

What do you have avaialble? any large camponotous sp?

That person said that in 2018 btw.
  • BugFinder likes this
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#709 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted March 13 2020 - 8:26 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Hi all - I am. a relatively new antkeeper, and am now living in Sonoma County. I live next to a giant wetland area in Petaluma, which seems like it would be productive! Does anyone have any tips about when to go hunting, where, etc? There hasn't been much rain, but some warm days around here. I am trying to get my head around how to know when to go search for ants!

Welcome back, man. I hope you can find some cool queens soon. Do you still have your old colonies?

Thanks!  They were all ok when I put them in the fridge. They come out tomorrow - I am hopeful they will be ok.  

• Thunder_Birds likes this

#710 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted March 18 2020 - 12:02 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

Nuptial flight time of day and time of year will vary with species. They will usually happen on a warm day, but chances increase on a warm day after a rainy one. On days like those, you could find a queen ant anywhere, at any time, so keep your eyes peeled. For instance, all the Camponotus vicinus queens I caught last year were in my house. Some species will have nuptial flights and the queens will hide and come out later to dig a chamber. For instance Prenolepis imparis flies around the afternoon(in the first quarter of the year), and you could catch newly mated queens then, or, you could wait awhile until about 5-6 and find them, usually wingless, scurrying around. I found it easiest to look for them on sidewalks or roads around this time, just easier to spot. It sounds like your property would be a haven for ants, so as long as you keep your eyes peeled you should find at least one queen there this year.

Here’s a list of Bay Area species: https://www.antweb.o...ect=bayareaants
-The map option allows you to see exactly where specimens were found.

Edited by Jadeninja9, March 18 2020 - 12:08 AM.

• YsTheAnt and ANTdrew like this

#711 Offline zantezaint - Posted March 18 2020 - 2:42 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

I heard SF is in complete lockdown. I hope you guys are handling this well.

• YsTheAnt and Thunder_Birds like this

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#712 Offline irvosanjose - Posted April 24 2020 - 1:42 PM

irvosanjose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

For those of you in the Bay Area have successfully kept Prenolepis Imparis colonies, do you keep them at room temp or in cooler for a number of months a year? I have a colony that has 6 nanitics all about a year old or more. They are in an AusAnts small ytong formicarium. I can't seem to get them to grow more. Thanks!

#713 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 24 2020 - 1:48 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

For those of you in the Bay Area have successfully kept Prenolepis Imparis colonies, do you keep them at room temp or in cooler for a number of months a year? I have a colony that has 6 nanitics all about a year old or more. They are in an AusAnts small ytong formicarium. I can't seem to get them to grow more. Thanks!

People often have trouble getting these to lay after hibernation (or presumably during spring if they don't hibernate, which I believe is your case).

• irvosanjose likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#714 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 24 2020 - 7:07 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I know a good place for Camponotus, Mt. Diablo. I'll let u guys know when I plan to beg my parents to take me there, since I know a guy that likes ants and lives near there.

Apparently, the place he goes to at the base of Diablo is good for Camponotus Vicinus, some unknown mytmentoma Camponotus, and Camponotus Quercicolas.

I'd love to get a C. Vicinus queen!!

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#715 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted May 25 2020 - 8:12 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

I know a good place for Camponotus, Mt. Diablo. I'll let u guys know when I plan to beg my parents to take me there, since I know a guy that likes ants and lives near there.

Apparently, the place he goes to at the base of Diablo is good for Camponotus Vicinus, some unknown mytmentoma Camponotus, and Camponotus Quercicolas.

I have two you could message me if you’re interested
  • BugFinder likes this

#716 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 26 2020 - 9:12 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I have two you could message me if you’re interested

Message sent!

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#717 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted May 31 2020 - 4:21 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I have an opportunity to go somewhere Wednesday, the weather says 90+ and it rained yesterday. Any recommendations? I'm thinking either Mt. Diablo, or somewhere closer on the Peninsula like El Corte for some good biking but not sure yet. Any of you guys planning on going out that day if so where?

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#718 Offline JenC - Posted June 1 2020 - 6:27 AM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
What are you looking for?
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#719 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 1 2020 - 7:32 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I might be able to go up to the Merced area on the 13th. Hoping for tetras and L. luctuosum. which, along with occidentale, is prevalent there.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#720 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 1 2020 - 8:45 AM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

What are you looking for?

I don't have much of a collection yet, but I'm basically looking for non-tetramorium. Also excluding Argentines and Tapinoma. From the AntWeb Species list for the Bay Area, they list some Myrmecocystus near Mt. Diablo which would be cool but probably unlikely to find. I also would be interested in finding basically anything else including more various Camponotus, as well as Pheidole, Crematogaster, Veromessor, Formica, etc... 

For the 13th, I'm probably free so it would be cool to look for the Liometopum (got some now). On the satellite maps, its mostly farms around the Merced Area, and the closest forests would be either something like Henry Coe, or Tahoe? I'd love to go anting with you though, and I have plenty of extra Tetra.

Edited by rcbuggy88, June 26 2020 - 11:07 AM.

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)