• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SF Bay Area Anters

• Please log in to reply
842 replies to this topic

#741 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 3 2021 - 7:21 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Sure! Hopefully it gets warm enough for something to fly, based off of last year we will need ~80f temperatures...

You think we won't get more flights until the temps reach 80 degrees?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#742 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 3 2021 - 8:06 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Sure! Hopefully it gets warm enough for something to fly, based off of last year we will need ~80f temperatures...

You think we won't get more flights until the temps reach 80 degrees?

Yeah highly doubt it. Been checking the local Camponotus grounds most days that it gets above 72F, and nothing so far. 

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#743 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 29 2021 - 8:18 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Myrmecocystus testaceus and Pognomyrmex subdentatus flew in the Santa Cruz Mountains yesterday! Also found a handful of Pogonomyrmex subdentatus queens in the East Bay. Checked a few spots, they only flew at the highest elevation one where it was cooler. I suspect the lower, hotter spots might have flown during the heatwave last month, whereas the higher elevation areas didn't get hot enough back then. Camponotus clarithorax supposedly had some flights as well, I suspect the main Camponotus flight for us will be sometime around Wednesday.

• B_rad0806 and Swirlysnowflake like this

#744 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 29 2021 - 4:36 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I collected 4 Pognomyrmex subdentatus yesterday in San Benito County.  A buddy of mine collected 4 the day before in the same location, so they have been flying over the weekend.

• YsTheAnt likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#745 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 31 2021 - 5:24 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Going to head to the local hills to look for Camponotus tonight! Found a few males during the day, so hopefully they flew in decent numbers.

#746 Offline antmcantkeeper - Posted April 18 2021 - 9:31 PM

antmcantkeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBay Area - California

Is it too late for Camponotus? I've found nothing after a couple nights. also, what's the best time of night to go looking for them? just after dusk? middle of the night? or just before dawn?

#747 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted May 5 2021 - 7:51 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Anyone know what's flying right now? Most places are pretty far for me. Cupertino is like 40 minutes away. Looking for any species really.

#748 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 5 2021 - 6:12 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Which part of the bay are you from? I found a single Liometopum occidentale queen in the pool yesterday, but I don't think much will fly until it gets very hot (mid 90's ideally) later this month or in early June.

#749 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted May 8 2021 - 5:49 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Which part of the bay are you from? I found a single Liometopum occidentale queen in the pool yesterday, but I don't think much will fly until it gets very hot (mid 90's ideally) later this month or in early June.

East of the bay,

#750 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 8 2021 - 11:52 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

East of the bay,

Any of the hills and untouched land in the East Bay will have plenty of ants.

#751 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted May 13 2021 - 12:04 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

East of the bay,

Any of the hills and untouched land in the East Bay will have plenty of ants.

thanks.

#752 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted May 13 2021 - 1:09 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Has anyone caught queens recently? I’ve been going out multiple times a week to a lot of different places, but I haven’t seen any queens.

My YouTube channel :)

#753 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 21 2021 - 9:12 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Its been really cold this month. We should see some summer fliers start later this month and into June when it hits the mid 90's, namely Veromessor andrei, Liometopum occidentale, Formica spp, and all the small nocturnal night fliers.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#754 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted May 25 2021 - 5:00 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Do you reckon the Camponotus boat has sailed? I've found nothing this whole season and was wondering if it had to do with how shockingly cold it's been this year.

Edited by JamesJohnson, May 25 2021 - 5:02 PM.

#755 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 28 2021 - 2:13 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Do you reckon the Camponotus boat has sailed? I've found nothing this whole season and was wondering if it had to do with how shockingly cold it's been this year.

Yeah they've flown in most places... Might still be some stragglers at the higher elevations in logs and under rocks! I think they have not flown in the Truckee and South Lake Tahoe areas either.

#756 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted May 28 2021 - 3:04 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Yeah they've flown in most places... Might still be some stragglers at the higher elevations in logs and under rocks! I think they have not flown in the Truckee and South Lake Tahoe areas either.
That is highly coincidental as it just so happens that I’m going to Tahoe this weekend. Thanks for the info, I’ll definitely be on the search for them.

Edited by JamesJohnson, May 28 2021 - 4:28 PM.

#757 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 28 2021 - 6:43 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Yeah they've flown in most places... Might still be some stragglers at the higher
elevations in logs and under rocks! I think they have not flown in the Truckee and South Lake Tahoe areas either.
That is highly coincidental as it just so happens that I’m going to Tahoe this weekend. Thanks for the info, I’ll definitely be on the search for them.

Good luck!

#758 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted May 29 2021 - 12:13 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Camponotus are having their nuptial flight. I caught 15 of them walking from the trail I was looking for queens at to where I’m staying. I don’t even have enough test tubes at home, let alone here. Do you think it’d hurt to keep queens together for the next couple of days?

#759 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 29 2021 - 12:34 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Camponotus are having their nuptial flight. I caught 15 of them walking from the trail I was looking for queens at to where I’m staying. I don’t even have enough test tubes at home, let alone here. Do you think it’d hurt to keep queens together for the next couple of days?

Some species may kill eachother if kept together...

What area are you finding them in!?

#760 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted May 29 2021 - 1:38 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I found them (which was IDed by Cheeto to be C. modoc) at downtown Tahoe City (or at least as downtown Tahoe City can get) just all over the pavement. Very odd, but I’m not complaining.
  • YsTheAnt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users