• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SF Bay Area Anters

• Please log in to reply
842 replies to this topic

#681 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted February 11 2020 - 8:15 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

no prob, if you have any extras, i'll take them lol  :D

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#682 Offline Vern530 - Posted February 13 2020 - 9:54 AM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas
Does any one know if imparis is polygenous???

#683 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 13 2020 - 2:13 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Does any one know if imparis is polygenous???

Yes, they are.

Edited by YsTheAnt, February 13 2020 - 2:13 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#684 Offline miksha - Posted February 17 2020 - 6:41 PM

miksha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Is it possible to find formica fusca soon? I really want to find some and get a colony started :P

#685 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 17 2020 - 7:34 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Is it possible to find formica fusca soon? I really want to find some and get a colony started :P

In a few months time! Formica start flying around May-June in the bay.

#686 Offline Vern530 - Posted February 19 2020 - 1:08 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas

when you guys are collecting imparis queens?what is the time of day temp,and are you guys finding them on ground or on plants and trees?i read somewhere you will find them gathered on  trees after mating..???

#687 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 19 2020 - 2:27 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

when you guys are collecting imparis queens?what is the time of day temp,and are you guys finding them on ground or on plants and trees?i read somewhere you will find them gathered on trees after mating..???

In past seasons, I have found dozens upon dozens of queens on warm days, at least high sixties but preferably in the eighties. Clouds of males start forming around noon, and mating continues into the afternoon and evening.

I collect most of my queens right under the mating clouds, which often occur around trees or poles. I find queens with males swarming them usually on the ground underneath these swarms. My best location for these is at the edge of a forest, at a small parking lot. The queens stand out quite well against the pavement, so I don’t look on trees as under the swarms there are tons of queens on the ground. Oak forest edges work well for finding these guys.

Good luck anting!
  • Somethinghmm likes this

#688 Offline Josh.Antlover - Posted February 22 2020 - 6:18 PM

Josh.Antlover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBenicia, California
Where are the places to go anting? Like somewhere in SF or near SF...I need some name of places

#689 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 22 2020 - 6:50 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Where are the places to go anting? Like somewhere in SF or near SF...I need some name of places

The first post on this thread has some great anting locations. Check those out next time it is warm and hopefully will find something!

#690 Offline Josh.Antlover - Posted February 22 2020 - 10:03 PM

Josh.Antlover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The closes location to me is Walnut Creek, but can a person collect ants in a state park or is that only for like natural preserves but it’s mount Diablo. Can someone explain pls

#691 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 22 2020 - 11:11 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

The closes location to me is Walnut Creek, but can a person collect ants in a state park or is that only for like natural preserves but it’s mount Diablo. Can someone explain pls

A quick search for these parks’ websites will give you all those answers.

#692 Offline Josh.Antlover - Posted February 23 2020 - 11:02 PM

Josh.Antlover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

A quick search for these parks’ websites will give you all those answers.

Thank you

#693 Offline antwall - Posted February 25 2020 - 7:00 PM

antwall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Prenolepis flying the next few days!
Argentine ants are mean.

#694 Offline Josh.Antlover - Posted February 28 2020 - 10:32 PM

Josh.Antlover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Prenolepis flying the next few days!

Where?

#695 Offline antwall - Posted February 29 2020 - 6:02 PM

antwall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Wherever there are prenolepis!
Argentine ants are mean.

#696 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 29 2020 - 8:12 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I caught some a few days ago, but it appears that their flights have started to slow down. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next week or so are their last flights for the season.

On a brighter note, Camponotus have started flying :).

#697 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted March 10 2020 - 1:23 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Hi all - I am. a relatively new antkeeper, and am now living in Sonoma County. I live next to a giant wetland area in Petaluma, which seems like it would be productive! Does anyone have any tips about when to go hunting, where, etc? There hasn't been much rain, but some warm days around here. I am trying to get my head around how to know when to go search for ants!

• Jadeninja9, ANTdrew and Thunder_Birds like this

#698 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 10 2020 - 1:34 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Hello! Well, let’s see here...right now isn’t a great time to get queen ants, but in the next few months will be a good time. Most of the time you find queen ants in open areas, but woods are good places to find queen ants. I recommend to have some small containers when your queen ant hunting.
To be honest I am pretty new to ant keeping too, and I don’t live in your area :( sorry about that. Anything else that would be helpful?  :)

Edited by Thunder_Birds, March 10 2020 - 1:37 PM.

#Ants4Life

#699 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted March 10 2020 - 1:37 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Hello! Well, let’s see here...right now isn’t a great time to get queen ants, but in the next few months will be a good time. Most of the time you find queen ants in open areas, but woods are good places to find queen ants. I recommend to have some small containers when your queen ant hunting. Anything else that would be helpful? :)

Hi - thanks for that! I live close to a big, open area with lots of water so I'm optimistic. What I'm hoping to learn is, WHEN to go out hunting for ants? For example, I know that it's good to go after a rain - but are there any other tips? Would it be possible to learn what kind of ants might be in this general area, and then learn more about when they might fly? I'm also trying to figure out if day or night is better, etc. 

#700 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 1:43 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
It’s easier to see queens on paved surfaces. As for local ant diversity, you can check out AntMaps.org. Not always completely accurate, it’s the best we’ve got at the moment.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users