• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#1041 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 24 2018 - 9:51 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

P. imparis are flying in MA today!  Just caught my first alate.

• rdurham02 likes this

#1042 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted April 25 2018 - 1:00 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Somehow, my Prenolepis imparis queen is pretty stress-free. Except for the time her tube rolled, she has never eaten her eggs. She's doing fine in a low-light condition right now!

• noebl1 likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#1043 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 25 2018 - 2:35 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
I don't think i'm gonna get any p. imparis this year. I think they flew mon I. northern ri

#1044 Offline Myrmidon - Posted April 30 2018 - 6:50 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

Apologies about my abrupt disappearance the last few months. Life and all that jazz. Since the season is about to start up again I thought I'd pop back in and say hello! My foray into ant keeping last year was fun but only one of my queens (Formica sp) survived hibernation so I'll certainly be interested to hear about the nuptial sightings in MA in the coming weeks/months.  (y)

• noebl1 and Connectimyrmex like this

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#1045 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 30 2018 - 7:07 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Apologies about my abrupt disappearance the last few months. Life and all that jazz. Since the season is about to start up again I thought I'd pop back in and say hello! My foray into ant keeping last year was fun but only one of my queens (Formica sp) survived hibernation so I'll certainly be interested to hear about the nuptial sightings in MA in the coming weeks/months.  (y)

Welcome back!  I missed the P. imparis flying Saturday, and will probably miss them Wed as well as will be WFH and not at the office that I've caught them before.

Sorry to hear about the loses during hibernation.  I lost a couple myself, including all my Myrmica which really bummed me out (though most of that was my fault.)  I also lost my Camponotus as well. Will try again for those this season as usually fly in large enough numbers so easy to find, though Myrmica I may have to get lucky and hopefully find a dealate foraging from last year.

My Aphaenogaster picea colony is doing great and seem to have a new worker eclose every week now.  Painfully waiting for my other new queens to have their first nanitics....  I'll probably have some extras to give away to MA people if my Lasius and Crematogaster are all fertile.

• Myrmidon likes this

#1046 Offline Myrmidon - Posted April 30 2018 - 7:14 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Welcome back!  I missed the P. imparis flying Saturday, and will probably miss them Wed as well as will be WFH and not at the office that I've caught them before.

Sorry to hear about the loses during hibernation.  I lost a couple myself, including all my Myrmica which really bummed me out (though most of that was my fault.)  I also lost my Camponotus as well. Will try again for those this season as usually fly in large enough numbers so easy to find, though Myrmica I may have to get lucky and hopefully find a dealate foraging from last year.

My Aphaenogaster picea colony is doing great and seem to have a new worker eclose every week now.  Painfully waiting for my other new queens to have their first nanitics....  I'll probably have some extras to give away to MA people if my Lasius and Crematogaster are all fertile.

Thank you! I was bummed but I'm not surprised since it was my first attempt at trying to raise my first colonies. I think I've learned quite a bit from the experience so I'm hoping this time around I'll have a little more success. I'm also striving to successfully house some Camponotus queens so I'll be on the hunt with you!

Sorry about your losses but best of luck on your new queens!

Keeper of:

#1047 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 30 2018 - 7:24 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

This is now my 3rd season keeping ants, and I find every year I learn more and more, and it keeps it interesting.  Still plenty of mistakes for me to make too, hehe

Also reminds me I need to run do a pet store to get some crickets, as I was finding some mosquito like insects flying in huge numbers the last couple weeks (ants loved them), and they stopped flying.

Based on last year, the Camponotus should start flying very soon.  I actually wouldn't be surprised with after the rain we got, if there's a small flight on Wed or Thurs.  Though we're still a month or so away from any of their big flights that typically happen in May/June.   I'm also curious to see if we have larger flights this year, as last year was 18 Camponotus flights I observed, however due to the 2016 draught, they were definitely smaller than the 2016 flights. 

• Myrmidon and rdurham02 like this

#1048 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 30 2018 - 4:03 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Oh, one of the guys on Discord in Boston believes he saw a Camponotus castaneus flying with P. imparis on Sat.  Said he tried to grab it, but got away.  Was quite orange/yellow for a Camponotus.  I had heard they are in MA, but haven't seen evidence of any.  I'm not sure if he's here on FC, I'll find out.

• Myrmidon likes this

#1049 Offline Myrmidon - Posted May 1 2018 - 5:54 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Very cool! That's a fun looking species!! If you get the details about which region in MA, I'd love to hear about it.  (y)

• noebl1 likes this

Keeper of:

#1050 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 3 2018 - 3:08 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Saw a small Camponotus flight today, about a couple dozen C. pennsylvanicus, and a couple C. Mrymentoma that I couldn't grab as too high.

Someone else observed P. imparis flights in Arlington? I think today on Discord.

Edited by noebl1, May 3 2018 - 3:08 PM.

#1051 Offline zkublin - Posted May 3 2018 - 5:20 PM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Saw a small Camponotus flight today, about a couple dozen C. pennsylvanicus, and a couple C. Mrymentoma that I couldn't grab as too high.

Someone else observed P. imparis flights in Arlington? I think today on Discord.

There’s a discord for mass flight sightings?

Also sorry for going MIA....I got married, bought a house and got a puppy....but I’m back for the start of the season!
  • noebl1 and Myrmidon like this

#1052 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 4 2018 - 3:48 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

There’s a discord for mass flight sightings?

Also sorry for going MIA....I got married, bought a house and got a puppy....but I’m back for the start of the season!

WELCOME BACK!!  I may have some extra Lasius if you need some :)  Congrats on all the life changes too, sounds like you had a busy year!

Discord invite link: http://discord.gg/qrAqPAQ   

Camponotus males and queens were flying after dark last night, not a big flight, but not bad for this time of year.   Only say C. pennsylvanicus;  I can grab some for MA people if they need any, just let me know.

#1053 Offline Myrmidon - Posted May 4 2018 - 4:16 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Welcome back zkublin and congrats!!

Looks like the season off to a start then! Didn't see any Camponotus queens yet, I thought I would last night but I guess not! I saw a lot of L. umbratus queens on Wednesday walking but that's the extent of queen sightings right now. A nearby colony of C. nearticus was active with alates peaking out of their nest but I don't think they flew. 

• noebl1 likes this

Keeper of:

#1054 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 6 2018 - 6:14 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
So my Lasius neoniger and Crematogaster (still unidentified) are the only ones that survived the winter. However they are also thriving! They all have a nice batch of eggs and have full gasters. I was just curious about how long it takes for an egg to turn into a worker for these genus.
  • noebl1 likes this

#1055 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 6 2018 - 6:56 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I find they take several weeks.  I have Lasius and Crematogaster I caught this Fall, all of them went into hibernation by the end of October.  I started taking them out the very beginning of March.  A couple of the Lasius laid before hibernation (not common, but not unusual), those Lasius have had pupae for the last 3 weeks (this also lines up to my Fall 2016 Lasius colonies also with pupae.)  The Lasius that laid post hibernation all have huge piles of eggs or larvae, but all quite small.  My Crematogaster, also who laid shortly after coming out of hibernation, have a mix of eggs, small larval, and a handful of late larval stage.  This is with the room in the upper 60Fs/low 70Fs until very recently (now that it's warmer and room has been in mid-70Fs) without any direct heating for them.  I noticed once the room warmed up into the upper 70Fs, development seemed to speed up for their larval stages.

• Aquaexploder likes this

#1056 Offline randeee - Posted May 6 2018 - 11:09 AM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Hey guys! Season's back and so am I.

I caught a few things this week including a Lasius Umbratus and I believe a Formica sp. but not sure.

DZBiA7U.jpg

VyxEDfP.jpg

• noebl1 and Myrmidon like this

#1057 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 6 2018 - 12:16 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

RANDEEE!  Was going to send you an email to see how you were doing; glad to see you back :D

• randeee likes this

#1058 Offline randeee - Posted May 6 2018 - 12:30 PM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Thanks, noebl1! Feels good to be back.

I just got a Mini-Hearth from THA and its stunning. She's laid a few eggs already as well. Fingers crossed for an easy season.

GMVf3wi.jpg

#1059 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 9 2018 - 3:56 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Y'all are getting Camponotus queens already?! I didn't know that they flew this early!

My local termite nests are stocked to the brim with alates right now! 

• Aquaexploder likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#1060 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 9 2018 - 4:06 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

My local termite nests are stocked to the brim with alates right now!

If you don't mind could you give me tips on how to look for termite nests and there queens?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users