• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#1061 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 10 2018 - 3:23 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

It is nearly impossible to find the main termite nests. However, you can find termite satellite colonies under rocks, logs, and leaf litter, with nymphs, workers, and all. If you do come across one, I would collect maybe thirty or so workers, and collect a king and queen from the same nest during flight season to top off the "colony". (make sure you get at least one king and one queen!)

• Aquaexploder likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#1062 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 10 2018 - 3:38 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

My A. rudis and some of my Fall Lasius are starting to eclose!  Still not 100% on their ID yet.  Also my Crematogaster are getting close too; very excited about these.

Time to prep a thread to start offloading queens in MA.

#1063 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 10 2018 - 3:56 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Nice!

I'm still waiting for my Lasius queen's pupa to eclose.

• noebl1 likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#1064 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 11 2018 - 3:16 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Nice!

I'm still waiting for my Lasius queen's pupa to eclose.

For some reason of the dozen or so queens I got last Fall, three of them laid before hibernation and apparently had made it to the larval stages to survive hibernation.  First time I've seen Lasius lay before hibernation (besides L. alienus), but not unheard of.

I've also finally been able to print with flexible filament, so my test tube stoppers I use in my mini-outworlds can be a bit more snug without risking breaking the test tube.  This is one of my earlier rough prints to make sure it was possible, later ones came out much better (but I was too lazy to take a pic):

honSjty.jpg

It's weird stuff as feels like printing with spider webs when cleaning the nozzle off as stringy, stretchy and sticky.  But cool stuff!  Having a bowden printer I didn't think I could do it, but it works.  Really only issue is it sticks to much to the bed.

• Myrmidon and Aquaexploder like this

#1065 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 11 2018 - 5:58 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
If you don't mind me asking, what printer are you using?

#1066 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 11 2018 - 6:07 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I don't mind at all!  I built a D-Bot Core XY printer ( https://www.thingive...m/thing:1001065) with a few modifications to make it larger and such.

I know a bunch of the guys here use the CR-10 printer and love it.  There's something to be said about buying a printer vs DIY as I found it took a lot of adjusting and experimenting before I was happy with the results.

#1067 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 11 2018 - 6:23 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

I don't mind at all!  I built a D-Bot Core XY printer ( https://www.thingive...m/thing:1001065) with a few modifications to make it larger and such.

I know a bunch of the guys here use the CR-10 printer and love it.  There's something to be said about buying a printer vs DIY as I found it took a lot of adjusting and experimenting before I was happy with the results.

Cool! Unfortunately I'm not the type of person to have that much patience so I bought a Robo R1 Plus. It is a very good beginner printer, but I just wish it had a higher print resolution.

#1068 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 11 2018 - 9:12 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Rumors are Nylandria sp flying in Boston today.

What resolution is it missing?  The Robo R1 Plus looks pretty good.

#1069 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 11 2018 - 9:16 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Its just that when I try to make a print that has multiple pieces that are meant to fit together, I need to sand them down in order to get them to connect.

#1070 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 12 2018 - 2:40 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Currently printing a new formicarium! I'll post pictures when it finishes.

• noebl1 likes this

#1071 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 12 2018 - 3:26 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Currently printing a new formicarium! I'll post pictures when it finishes.

Can't wait to see the pics!

My Lasius look like L. neoniger and *maybe* L. alienus.  I need to get some serious macro shots, but she laid before hibernation, and she's noticeably smaller than the other queens.  In the past I've observed the local L. alienus queens are smaller compared to the other local Lasius queens, however there is variation in queens, so this isn't a perfect way to tell.  The majority of my other Lasius queens now have pupae, that was fast as was just larvae a few days ago. Should be able to get a better idea what they are in the June/July time frame I bet.

My 2016 Tetramorium colony has an insatiable appetite.  No matter how much I give them, it's not enough. Their brood pile is getting huge as well...  Last year I starved them a bit so didn't grow fast, but ballooned this year...

• rdurham02 and Aquaexploder like this

#1072 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 13 2018 - 6:49 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

IMG_0406_zpsmhi3jajx.jpgIMG_0405_zpsnwfqwqq0.jpgIMG_0413_zpskzemtykd.jpg

So as you can see it turned out pretty well, and to be honest much better then I ever expected. There was some warping as expected (it doesn't look that bad in person), but overall I am really happy with the results. I found the STL on thingiverse and I like the idea of it being modular because I feel that it will be handy to just slide on a piece in the future as my colonies grow in order to expand the nest. 

Edited by Aquaexploder, May 13 2018 - 6:50 AM.

• noebl1 likes this

#1073 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 13 2018 - 6:53 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Looks pretty good!  You printing in PLA or ABS?  ABS warps I find, but PLA tends to warp less for me.  It looks pretty superficial anyways :)

I have to use a decent bed covering (whether BuildTak or PEI sheets), and that helps me with bed sticking.

#1074 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 13 2018 - 7:07 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Looks pretty good!  You printing in PLA or ABS?  ABS warps I find, but PLA tends to warp less for me.  It looks pretty superficial anyways :)

I have to use a decent bed covering (whether BuildTak or PEI sheets), and that helps me with bed sticking.

For this print I used ABS. The print bed on the printer is made of glass and one of the methods the manufacturer recommends for adhesion is just to use a simple Elmer's glue glue stick and apply an even coat to the bed.

• noebl1 likes this

#1075 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 13 2018 - 3:04 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Try printing with PLA... I tried for 2 years with ABS, and finally switched to PLA or PET-G... and life was better :D  PLA does lift like that at all.  If you really want to print ABS, check out PEI sheets on Amazon with 3M adhesive on them already; I found ABS sticks really well to PEI.  You can also do an ABS slurry (acetone with ABS melted in it).

#1076 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 13 2018 - 3:07 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Try printing with PLA... I tried for 2 years with ABS, and finally switched to PLA or PET-G... and life was better :D  PLA does lift like that at all.  If you really want to print ABS, check out PEI sheets on Amazon with 3M adhesive on them already; I found ABS sticks really well to PEI.  You can also do an ABS slurry (acetone with ABS melted in it).

Thanks for the information! Will definitely try PLA in the future.

• noebl1 likes this

#1077 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 13 2018 - 5:20 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Thanks for the information! Will definitely try PLA in the future.

I meant to say it doesn't lift like ABS.. oh well.  This is what I usually get:

https://www.amazon.c...L70_&dpSrc=srch

They have a bunch of sizes as well.  Only about 1mm thick, so not hard to adjust most printers, especially if they support bed leveling.

I used to use BuildTak (I still have a few sheets), but much prefer PEI now that they sell PEI sheets with adhesive built in.  PEI tends to be more durable I find and sticks overall better, though your experience may vary.

Tues or Thurs looks like next possible days for flights.  Though still betting another 2 weeks+ until a large Camponotus flight IMHO.

Looks like my Ponera queen finally died.  She would eat, but never laid, so may not have been fertile.  I'll try again next year, and this time change out the coconut fiber/sand mixture for perlite as it doesn't mold and can see the ants better.

Noticed a funny reason why queens should remove their wings, I noticed one of the Crematogaster queens has some of her eggs stuck to her wings  :facepalm:  Fortunately looks like in a couple weeks her pupae will be eclosing anyways to take care of her/them.

Edited by noebl1, May 13 2018 - 5:20 PM.

#1078 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 14 2018 - 4:36 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Guys, the termites haven't flown yet, but I found maybe a trillion alates under a rock. My gecko and ants feasted. Unfortunately, I saw a mite on one of them, I hope that they didn't pick up anything. 

Also, Polistes, Vespula, and Bombus are nesting right now, get them while you can (before the workers come!)!

Also, @ Noeb, that stinks :( 
I've had some bad luck with Ponera too.

The Crematogaster thing is a bit funny, that happens with my termites sometimes. 

• noebl1, Myrmidon and Aquaexploder like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#1079 Offline Myrmidon - Posted May 15 2018 - 3:58 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

I believe I saw a termite dealate yesterday afternoon wandering about but it was alone so I don't think it will be very successful. Not sure if that was any indicator of anything. I've only just recently started reading up on them now that it's been added to the boards and I think it looked like a R. flavipes variety. I know there is/are colonies of those around here and I see them when I turnover rocks at times. I should have caught it but I'm still working on the anting thing before I cross over so I left it up to nature. :P

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#1080 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 15 2018 - 4:33 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I'll take note of termite alates this year when I see them, often during the summer I'll see them at night while looking for ant alates.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users