• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#541 Offline akaant - Posted July 2 2017 - 2:28 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

" gatta catch em all"

• ctantkeeper and Nathant2131 like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#542 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 2 2017 - 2:41 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Pretty good confirmation we had a Tetramorium flight here in Northern MA as found dead female alates, and just found a male alate still alive.

Also saw two Camponotus pennsylvanicus alates outside in the last hour within a few mins of each other.  One was working hard to get her wings off, so not sure if due to mating or just because she landed.

Hoping to go out tonight to look for Temnothorax as no rain in sight, and the Camponotus and Tetramorium flights are encouraging.

• ctantkeeper, Nathant2131 and Aquaexploder like this

#543 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted July 2 2017 - 3:50 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Pretty good confirmation we had a Tetramorium flight here in Northern MA as found dead female alates, and just found a male alate still alive.

Also saw two Camponotus pennsylvanicus alates outside in the last hour within a few mins of each other.  One was working hard to get her wings off, so not sure if due to mating or just because she landed.

Hoping to go out tonight to look for Temnothorax as no rain in sight, and the Camponotus and Tetramorium flights are encouraging.

Do you have any other tips when looking for temnothorax?

#544 Offline CNewton - Posted July 2 2017 - 4:39 PM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY
When do Lasius fly? Just found a huge flavus colony with tons of alates.

#545 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 2 2017 - 4:54 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

The more experienced members can probably answer it better than me, but generally speaking all Lasius fly from June to November, with the bulk of them in September. Lasius interjectus are really early though.

Oh and are you sure on Lasius flavus? Could easily also be Lasius nearcticus if you didn't base the ID off of some fairly intense magnification.

Edited by Nathant2131, July 2 2017 - 4:56 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

#546 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 2 2017 - 5:02 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Do you have any other tips when looking for temnothorax?

Easiest I found is with a flashlight at night;  go near lights as they were very much attracted to them.  Our driveway lights are about 6" high or so, so just looking around the lights I could find them, often attracted to my shirt if white due to the light.  They also have multiple flights like other species do.  However they had one pretty major flight where they were pretty much a nuisance attracted to the flash light :)

I also noticed my CFL bulbs from last year attract a lot more insects than my LED ones do.

• Aquaexploder likes this

#547 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 2 2017 - 5:04 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

The more experienced members can probably answer it better than me, but generally speaking all Lasius fly from June to November, with the bulk of them in September. Lasius interjectus are really early though.

Oh and are you sure on Lasius flavus? Could easily also be Lasius nearcticus if you didn't base the ID off of some fairly intense magnification.

I believe @batspiderfish has mentioned in the past it's not well known when some of the parasitic species actually fly.  If someone manages to observe the flights, definitely post to the thread :)

If they were brown/black ants, they could be Lasius alienus which *do* fly in July; I caught a couple last year.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#548 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 2 2017 - 5:12 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I'll be out of the country from 7/10 to 8/7; Might miss the Temnothorax flights. Don't expect any reportings from me during that time.

At least I'll be swimming with a bunch of invasives in the Bahamas for a month  :ehh:

#549 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 2 2017 - 5:14 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I'll be out of the country from 7/10 to 8/7; Might miss the Temnothorax flights. Don't expect any reportings from me during that time.

At least I'll be swimming with a bunch of invasives in the Bahamas for a month  :ehh:

Have a good trip!!!  I'll see if I can grab some extras for you and some others as well if I get any this year; this year they've been pretty elusive :(

#550 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 2 2017 - 5:16 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Have a good trip!!!  I'll see if I can grab some extras for you and some others as well if I get any this year; this year they've been pretty elusive :(

I'm fine catching them myself. But thanks, I'll have a great trip!!  :)

• noebl1 likes this

#551 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 2 2017 - 5:33 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I'm fine catching them myself. But thanks, I'll have a great trip!!  :)

haha I figured, but felt bad not at least offering.  You've got time anyways if like last year.  I saw them a few times starting 6/30 - mid early July.

• Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

#552 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted July 2 2017 - 6:07 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
I left my CFL trap out side in hope of a temnothorax flight, but no sign of one yet.

#553 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 2 2017 - 6:23 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I just caught 3 Temnothorax as it started to rain...  Last one I definitely earned; took several minutes to safely get it off the deck post.

• Aquaexploder likes this

#554 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 2 2017 - 6:47 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Still moths and other insects flying, but too rainy right now for me :(  They may fly after the rain, but I'm not going to stay up.  Don't panic either if you haven't found one yet, as I mentioned before, they tend to fly a few times like other ants.  This could have been an early flight as only saw a couple in the span of 15-20mins.  

Look for a small winged ant either on the light, or within a few feet of the light on a wall, post, etc.   They are only 4-4.5mm in size, and have a bulbous gaster. Here's the pics of the one I got last year; fairly magnified and a smaller test tube:

xOYOi94qI6gT2XALBB7OkPOg0CgujscBC3Svryoq

MY9QnDYcFnCnxJTlk2eDv1lASPDu1vEjmwcCJdQq

Also saw a random Camponotus pennsylvanicus male alate attracted to the lights as well.  Definitely late season small flight :)

EDIT:  For perspective of the size you are looking for, they are 1/2 the length of a grain of rice which averages 8mm, hehe.  They are much much smaller than Lasius queens, so don't expect something that will stick out like they do.

Edited by noebl1, July 2 2017 - 6:51 PM.

• Myrmidon and Aquaexploder like this

#555 Offline CNewton - Posted July 2 2017 - 11:41 PM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

#556 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 3 2017 - 7:15 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Looks like all three I caught are Temnothorax curvispinosus; very tell-tail stripe on their gaster (thank you Field Guide to New England Ants!).  Also apparently one of the most popular Temnothorax species.  

Didn't see any signs here of Tetramorium flights; just saw one lone dying Camponotus male alate; not near where I saw the one last night, so not sure if the same one or not.

Been watching my Lasius, and I see now what they mean how messy Tetramorium are.  As soon as they eclosed, the Lasius neatly disposed of their cocoons and other refuse.  Tetramorium just sorta carry stuff in and leave it, LOL.

Here's the ones I caught last night... for perspective this is a 16mm test tube, so yes, they are tiny.  Once they land, they don't move very fast, and their wings are shiny/striking a bit so you notice enough that's it's not a "fly" like insect.  The one I caught last year *never* dropped it's wings and had quite a few workers before I fumbled this colony up.  So at this point wings are no indicator on these species for fertility.

T60VriW.jpg

bGpQOrr.jpg

fKxDr0n.jpg

• Nathant2131 likes this

#557 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 3 2017 - 7:21 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
Going to the Dracut Lowell State Forest now-hoping for Tapinoma.
  • noebl1 likes this

#558 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 3 2017 - 7:47 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
The horseflies persuaded me otherwise- I'll try a less dense area.
  • ctantkeeper likes this

#559 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 3 2017 - 9:33 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
So far in Greeley park (dense forest area), I've found an L. umbratus dealate wandering, and a Formica dealate under a log. Possibly from a flight.
  • Martialis likes this

#560 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 3 2017 - 11:22 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
Mine falls park: Nothing too exciting except for a random C. americanus major foraging (in the middle of the day, weird)
  • noebl1 and Martialis like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users