• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#581 Offline Myrmidon - Posted July 6 2017 - 7:12 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

I've seen Tetra queens around here mostly. Found them underneath pots and stones, which means they probably had a flight in the AM. Also saw one wandering on my deck. 

This is great because my original Tetra I had caught died while I was away, oops. But I don't need to discontinue my journal since I caught 2 of them. 

Also - do we know much about the Formica rufa (or similar group??) of slave-makers in New England? Because I definitely saw them.

Edit: I found a heavy trail near some leaves and lifted some up to find some HUGE pupae (reproductives??) and you can definitely see the two different Formica sp in here.

IMG_3559_zpsw8l9x0rc.jpg

IMG_3567_zpsa5zexlgr.jpg

IMG_3572_zpsrm1nsmwp.jpg

Edited by Myrmidon, July 6 2017 - 7:47 AM.

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#582 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 6 2017 - 2:51 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Just found a live Tetramorium dealate here as well on the driveway.

Also been seeing a parasitic Lasius queen that is more reddish-brown than the L. umbratus I typically saw this Spring.  Been seeing a lot of them for the last few days.

#583 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 6 2017 - 2:56 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Also been seeing a parasitic Lasius queen that is more reddish-brown than the L. umbratus I typically saw this Spring.  Been seeing a lot of them for the last few days.

At Mine Falls yesterday I also saw something like this; A parasitic queen that looks very much like L. umbratus, but is more noticably bicolored with a reddish brown mesosoma. Also a bit shinier. Perhaps L. speculiventris however I might also be overanalyzing it, and it's L. umbratus.

#584 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 6 2017 - 3:02 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

At Mine Falls yesterday I also saw something like this; A parasitic queen that looks very much like L. umbratus, but is more noticably bicolored with a reddish brown mesosoma. Also a bit shinier. Perhaps L. speculiventris however I might also be overanalyzing it, and it's L. umbratus.

I'll see if I can get a pic. If these are L. umbratus, either they just flew, or something else as figure the over-wintering ones should be pretty all dispersed I'd think by now? They do appear to have more hairs on them as well, but that's from a quick look.  Still possible it's a slightly different color variant.

#585 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 6 2017 - 3:06 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I'll see if I can get a pic. If these are L. umbratus, either they just flew, or something else as figure the over-wintering ones should be pretty all dispersed I'd think by now? They do appear to have more hairs on them as well, but that's from a quick look.  Still possible it's a slightly different color variant.

When I went to Greeley Park 3 days ago, I found an umbratus-group dealate. Not sure if just late or something recently flew. (or maybe an ejected queen?)

I actually captured the one from Mine Falls, but it died only a few hours later in it's collecton container. Pics coming up.

Edited by Nathant2131, July 6 2017 - 3:07 PM.

#586 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 6 2017 - 4:06 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

CbTBRXI.jpg

She's even yellow in some places.

Pretty sure it's just L. umbratus though.

Edited by Nathant2131, July 6 2017 - 4:06 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

#587 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 6 2017 - 5:41 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Temnothorax flying *now*, found 3 as I opened my door...

• Nathant2131, Cindy and Myrmidon like this

#588 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 6 2017 - 6:07 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Caught 4, lost 1 unfortunately as it shifted at the last second as I put the tube down (not sure if she made it...), and saw 1 dead one in a driveway light.

#589 Offline Myrmidon - Posted July 6 2017 - 6:07 PM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Sweet! Just as I was considering bed... well gonna see if there are out in the yard ;)

• noebl1 likes this

Keeper of:

#590 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 6 2017 - 6:11 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Sweet! Just as I was considering bed... well gonna see if there are out in the yard ;)

So strangely 5 of these in the last couple days I've caught in the identical spot; on the top of a solar deck post about 3 feet below a CFL light on the side of the house.  1 on an LED light itself, and 2 on the door on that same deck as the CFL bulb.  Deck is white so pretty reflective. 

Termites are flying as well.

I've also have yet to see a male this year or last.

• ctantkeeper, Myrmidon and Aquaexploder like this

#591 Offline Myrmidon - Posted July 7 2017 - 5:59 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

It was a bust on my end. You have me totally wanting to paint my deck white...  :lol:  But in reality I may actually swap out some of my yard lights with backlights in hopes to attract more before it's too late. I was considering this anyway as I'm intrigued about this Formica development so I'm hoping to catch a queen of that variety. I am going to watch the pupae and kind of guesstimate a flight after they hatch (if they are actually queens).

• noebl1, Nathant2131 and Aquaexploder like this

Keeper of:

#592 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted July 7 2017 - 6:46 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
I found at least 10 Tetramorium drones stuck to my car today so definitely a flight.

#593 Offline zkublin - Posted July 7 2017 - 7:01 AM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I found at least 10 Tetramorium drones stuck to my car today so definitely a flight.

Ya I found 4 on the short walk from the garage I park in to my office.  Now I just need to figure out where all the queens went.  Anyone have any advice on where I should look to find the queens that flew this AM?  I am in Somerville and Allston, both fairly urban areas, so if anyone has any tips on where to look in an urban area for queens that just flew let me know!

• Aquaexploder likes this

#594 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 7 2017 - 9:26 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

@Myrmidon  If you have oak trees, that's a prime chance of having them close by.  Do you have an old aquarium fluorescent hood light (like the cheap ones for 10g aquariums)?  Put that shining on a white sheet, I bet that would work as well.   I've thought about using a sheet with a fluorescent bulb on a light fixture, but a chance you may cook them if the bulb doesn't have any protection.

FWIW I caught one more in the about the same spot on the deck before I went to bed.  Really weird and wonder if they are fertile or not as never saw any males.

Like the Camponotus, I am unsure if there has been a big flight yet or they were affected by the drought.  Last year I saw a couple small Temnothorax flights, then a really good sized flight of them where I saw tons of them (and foolishly didn't grab any as looking for Lasius alienus.)  From what I have read, Temnothorax have huge mortality rates in the winter and rebound each year, so not sure if the drought would affect them dramatically.

#595 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 7 2017 - 6:29 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Nothing happening tonight so far; cold front I think came through today with the rains, so may not be a good night at all.  Not a lot of other night insects, which is usually a sign probably no ants flying tonight.

So forgot to post this about yesterday when I went out... I've mentioned before there's a lot of wildlife here as I live in the woods.  My driveway is fairly long and wooded the whole way, so can't see much as you go up/down (can be a bit of an eerie feeling at night.)  I had the driveway lights on and a reasonably bright LED flashlight.  As I got about 1/2 way down the driveway I heard a commotion in the woods and as I moved the flashlight, I caught the side of a fairly large deer as it stamped off from about 50' away.  It moved a bit back into the woods, stopped, and started snorting pretty loudly and making some noise.  Not a hunter personally so not familiar with the particulars of deer communication, so took this as my cue it wanted me to probably back off.  Happily went back up the driveway towards the house area.  I suspect it was probably this guy from the day before:

QZnDNxz.png

So besides the coyote, fisher, and racoons that often conflict with my night anting, apparently can add deer to the list of things that potential dislike my presence :)

Edited by noebl1, July 7 2017 - 6:37 PM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#596 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 8 2017 - 6:57 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Also forgt to mention that on 7/5, I found a nest of bright yellow Lasius under a rock with alate pupae.

octlRWv.jpg

OIvKqCZ.jpg

Edited by Nathant2131, July 8 2017 - 6:58 AM.

• noebl1, Connectimyrmex and Myrmidon like this

#597 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted July 8 2017 - 7:00 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Found a couple of Lasius alates. Isn't it a little early?

#598 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 8 2017 - 7:02 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Found a couple of Lasius alates. Isn't it a little early?

Nope, Lasius alienus fly in July.  I found one last year at 10:45pm on 7/22.

EDIT:  Found the link: http://www.formicult...ssachusetts-usa

Also looks like ~7/22 last year was when I saw a large Temnothorax flight based on my comments.

Edited by noebl1, July 8 2017 - 7:07 AM.

#599 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 8 2017 - 10:13 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Tetramorium flew this am; found a dead male alate.  As it's getting dark here as a thunderstorm is rolling in, just found a couple Tetramorium dealates scattering before the rain started which was interesting.  I was observing L. umbratus when noticed a couple close by dealates that indeed were different.

I suspect @Nathant2131 is right about the L. umbratus we saw.  I did see a few variations in color today from dark brown, to reddish brown, to some with some yellow.  I suspect they must have just flown recently as we had a lull for a bit, and now they are everywhere again like the Spring.

#600 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted July 9 2017 - 7:19 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Also forgt to mention that on 7/5, I found a nest of bright yellow Lasius under a rock with alate pupae.

octlRWv.jpg

OIvKqCZ.jpg

there's one of these nests in my backyard with alate pupae! I also found a dead Lasius Parasite in a wild Aphaenogaster nest.

Also I've been seeing alates in my captive colony of Aphaenogaster. There is also a wild colony in my yard with a few alates.

Almost forgot to mention the vast multitude of L. Umbratus queens I've been seeing on tennis courts. I personally love that species, so I purposefully dumped the queens I found on a Lasius Neoniger hill...

Edited by Connectimyrmex, July 9 2017 - 7:23 AM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users