• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#1981 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 21 2021 - 12:51 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Guess who not only did the 100th page on here, grew over 9 inches over the last three years, got vaccinated, and found another pennsylvanicus queen?  THAT WOULD BE ME!

• noebl1 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#1982 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 21 2021 - 1:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Guess who not only did the 100th page on here, grew over 9 inches over the last three years, got vaccinated, and found another pennsylvanicus queen? THAT WOULD BE ME!

Now you’re really livin’ it up!
  • Chickalo likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1983 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 21 2021 - 1:59 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Guess who not only did the 100th page on here, grew over 9 inches over the last three years, got vaccinated, and found another pennsylvanicus queen?  THAT WOULD BE ME!

Wow!! I still am bumbed that I have to wait month or so for the camponotus in my yard to fly

#1984 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 21 2021 - 2:39 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Wow!! I still am bumbed that I have to wait month or so for the camponotus in my yard to fly

if we ever meet up ill give you a queen or two :)

シグナチャーです。예.

#1985 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 21 2021 - 3:43 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Thanks..

#1986 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 23 2021 - 3:54 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I'm going down to the most west part of MA just to look for pheidole, but I am looking for Bicarinata, but any pheidole works. Even if I don't find anything it's worth a try.

#1987 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 23 2021 - 6:34 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I found a camponotus queen!! My little sister said she saw a big ant and It was a queen!! We have poison around our house because of the ant problems in the house, and the queen almost went in ti so I hope she doesn't die.

The poison wasn't my idea btw

#1988 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 23 2021 - 8:53 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Besides from the camponotus queen I found while looking for pheidole, I didn't find anything else yet.

#1989 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 23 2021 - 10:10 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

So I got back from my search, and while lifting up rocks, I found a small colony of what looks like pheidole! Idk if it's Pilifera but if it is then that's great! (I don't know if it's pheidole yet either)

There is one queen and 7 workers and 1 major

#1990 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 24 2021 - 4:02 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Guys, this is not a joke, I just found a pennsylvanicus queen roaming the hallways of my school outside of homeroom...  A teacher saw me pull out a drug bottle.

• MinigunL5 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#1991 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted May 24 2021 - 4:04 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]

So I got back from my search, and while lifting up rocks, I found a small colony of what looks like pheidole! Idk if it's Pilifera but if it is then that's great! (I don't know if it's pheidole yet either)

There is one queen and 7 workers and 1 major

Pilifera are the only pheidole found in MA, although bicarinata can be found in/near greenhouses. Albeit, pilifera often dig extremely deep chambers so finding a colony under a rock would be a very rare occurrence. I’ve looked at your journal, and I cannot distinguish the species from the given pics, although it does seem to be Pheidole .
  • Chickalo likes this

#1992 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 24 2021 - 5:38 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Guys, this is not a joke, I just found a pennsylvanicus queen roaming the hallways of my school outside of homeroom...  A teacher saw me pull out a drug bottle.

Well, good luck.  :D

• Chickalo likes this

#1993 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 24 2021 - 11:39 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Lol, that's lucky

#1994 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 29 2021 - 4:27 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

:( Some bad news. My P. impairs is still eggless, but what’s worse is my year old C. novaeboracensis queen’s last nanitic from 2020 died. Last week I watched her eclose the first pupa of this season but it was dead. She has a clutch of eggs and some larvae but I’m concerned. She’s active and seems to be foraging so I’ve been giving her a bit extra food (crickets and apple). I hope she can survive until some of her larvae pupate and eclose. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the P. impairs queen?

iirc, Prenolepis can take a very, very long time to lay eggs.  I believe Mack from TarheelAnts had luck with a couple year old queens after putting them with a bunch of other.  

Well I can't say the same for my Preno queen, she has 12 pupae.

You lucky dog!

#1995 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 29 2021 - 5:07 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

:( Some bad news. My P. impairs is still eggless, but what’s worse is my year old C. novaeboracensis queen’s last nanitic from 2020 died. Last week I watched her eclose the first pupa of this season but it was dead. She has a clutch of eggs and some larvae but I’m concerned. She’s active and seems to be foraging so I’ve been giving her a bit extra food (crickets and apple). I hope she can survive until some of her larvae pupate and eclose. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the P. impairs queen?

iirc, Prenolepis can take a very, very long time to lay eggs.  I believe Mack from TarheelAnts had luck with a couple year old queens after putting them with a bunch of other.  

Well I can't say the same for my Preno queen, she has 12 pupae.

You lucky dog!

I know, I have 7 queens, one solo queen (the one with the pupae), one quadro of queens, which has the most brood, and a double queen, which have the least brood. Only my solo has pupae though. She even started a laying more eggs! She really wants a big colony.

#1996 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 29 2021 - 5:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Hey, at least you weren’t pulling out a vape pen or something.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1997 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 29 2021 - 9:13 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

It took me until now to get back to editing and uploading photos. I’ll post my newest shots in the photography thread. At yesterday’s feeding time, my C. novaeboracensis queen is foraging for herself now that all her nanitics have died. She’s got eggs and larvae but no new pupae yet. I guess we’ll see. My C. americanus have a few eggs but no larvae or pupae but both C. pennsylvanicus colonies have had a population boom. Workers from both colonies have been depositing fragments of pupae casings along with ant carcasses in their garbage piles. Since both colonies seem to be thriving, I'm assuming the majority of pupae survived with the remainder going to the garbage heap. 

0B8330AD 8E61 476D AA7F DD36C3C04093

I'm still amazed at everyone’s anting zeal. About ten days ago while cleaning my grill to start the season, I found a C. pennsylvanicus queen inside the firebox but she flew off before could grab a tube to catch her. We've had heat but so little rain that we haven’t yet hit the ideal conditions for a big flight. I can just manage my 4 colonies cleaning, feeding, and occasional photographs. Here’s hoping for ideal conditions!

• akaant likes this

#1998 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 29 2021 - 4:54 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Wow, the queen is foraging for herself? That's cool. I wouldn't think a queen would do that.

#1999 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 29 2021 - 7:18 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Wow, the queen is foraging for herself? That's cool. I wouldn't think a queen would do that.

I think it’s out of necessity. She’s in a 2 test tube setup linked through a feeding chamber. With all her nanitics dead, she has to!

#2000 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 30 2021 - 4:23 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

That's kind of cool.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users