• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#2021 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 30 2021 - 3:40 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

If you consider that a queen’s brood production remains relatively stable over time, and youngest workers take on brood rearing tasks, the amount of ants in the nest remains somewhat constant over time. What really ramps up is the number of older workers that have gone through the mental switch to foraging outside the nest. Their pheromone scents change along with their whole mentality to be: explore, explore, explore. This is especially true with a large, solo foraging species like yours. All commercial formicariums fail miserably to take this into mind, as their outworlds are pathetically small. A much larger outworld would alleviate a lot of your difficulties now, but at the same time, keeping a pristine level of cleanliness may be a thing of the past.
My Crematogaster colony is probably about 8k or more now. I only clean once a year, during diapause. I can easily feed them without escapes, though, thanks to the two huge outworlds I made. The long tubing connecting them helps give them a sense of distance travelled as well.

This is totally spot on!  A 3x2", even 3x4" little box is not enough for real foraging. My suggestion if you don't mind some very trivial DIY, make a larger outworld, here's a simple part lists, initial investment maybe around $50, but can make a couple for less after.

Other items... stepped drill bits and some screening. I basically add some screen to the high heeled shoe box on the side vent holes to prevent escapees with a bit of super glue, and then cut a hole in the top and put some additional mesh to give some added air flow. Drill at least 2 holes for the cable glands for passing through the vinyl tubing. Add the ultracal30 maybe 1/4" thick, and then sprinkle sand on top. Once it's set, takes a day or too, add a bit more sand and maybe some aquarium pebbles or whatever decor you want. 

It's maybe an hour worth of work, very basic DIY, and you'll have a large expandable setup for your outworlds. As the colony grows, can add additional ones for them to go to.  TBH you can go different routes... 3D printed connectors, or rubber gaskets, etc, several ways to go. It will be SO much easier to maintain with a larger outworld and much less concern for escapees. 

Looks like I need to clean the top again of dust and sugar pieces, lol so excuse the mess. Their trash pile is cleaned up yearly, so that's the last 6mos or so of trash from these. Test tubes are need to be replaced shortly as well obviously as getting low, this is one of my P. occidentalis setups. You can also go neater on the super glue for the screening, but I went for functionality over beauty on this one as they needed it.:

BlhJS1u.png

Edited by noebl1, June 30 2021 - 4:11 AM.

• ConcordAntman, ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#2022 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 30 2021 - 4:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Great stuff, Noebl1!
Your first link didn’t work. Here are the containers I use. They’re massive with great lids: https://www.amazon.c..._bap_m_rp_15_sc
  • noebl1 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2023 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 30 2021 - 4:13 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Great stuff, Noebl1!
Your first link didn’t work. Here are the containers I use. They’re massive with great lids: https://www.amazon.c..._bap_m_rp_15_sc

Yeah looks like TCS broke their links again... searching for the SKU should bring it up at least. I've normally gotten the tallest ones. When I first built it, the ants explored the outworld and tried to climb a bit... however now looks like they don't bother any more and I could take off the lid, however trying to avoid the cat getting into it.

#2024 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 30 2021 - 8:17 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

When my Fluon+ shipment arrived, I chilled my big colony so I could wipe off the earlier applications (I hadn’t done that previously) and apply a fresh coating. With that done, I expected a relatively easy feeding session next time around. That didn’t happen! It was was messy. Three escapees (all recaptured) one fatality  :( I always have 70+ workers in the outworld with 100+ in the nest. Too many to count. I painted the inner surface of the lid and a 1” rim at the top of the outworld with Fluon+. Even with ample time to dry, enough ants can still cross the barrier that even swiping my feather like a one-armed bandit doesn’t keep them contained. It’s almost impossible to clean the outworld or refill their feeding dish (trying to minimize fruit & insect parts being strewn around) without casualties or fatalities (good thing this queen is so prolific). I may have to go back to a quick chill just prior to feeding though I really don’t want to harm a colony I've had for 3 years. I’d be really interested in hearing how those of you with big colonies and active foragers in the outworld handle this!

I found that virgin olive oil works well for Camponotus pennsylvanicus.  Normal olive oil will probably also work.  However that might've just been my ants being too lazy to bother trying to escape :D

• ConcordAntman likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#2025 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 30 2021 - 11:36 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Thanks noebl1! :hi:

• noebl1 likes this

#2026 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 30 2021 - 12:42 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Today was a feeding day and I have to report that across my 4 colonies that crickets and Dubia roach feeders were the only insects harmed in this exercise :lol: Though I did put my “Gremlins after Midnight” C. penns in the cooler for 20 minutes, there were no formicine casualties or fatalities :yahoo:

I started with my easier to manage colonies first while the lil’ Gremlins were chillin’. My previously laid back C. americanus have been feisty of late (thanks again for the sale Akaant). They've started bringing their larvae up to the feeding dish in the outworld. I’ve seen half a dozen late instar larvae. Now there’s alway a gaggle of workers patrolling the outworld or tending the larvae. As a result, when I remove the lid for feeding, they go nuts. In an attempt to avoid escapees or carnage (this colony is too small for any losses), I decided to paint the inner lid and upper 1” of the wall with Fluon+. I’d never used any barrier with this colony previously as they'd been so docile. The application dried relatively free of streaks or clumps and the ants were hosed, they were dropping like flies. Feeding was a piece of cake! I fed my May 2020 C. pennsylvanicus colony (10-15 workers and a large brood pile) and my June 2020 C. novaeboracensis who’s decided to get busy after her nanitic eclosed last week. 

8B69B71E 791A 4EDC B586 CDD6C30E082E

The instant response of my C. americanus to the Fluon+ application made me rethink the application to my “lil’ Gremlins” outworld. I’d been using a 2018 bottle of Fluon that sat on a shelf for 3 years and had been shaken before I started using it when the Gremlins became hard to manage after diapause. I’ve lost track of the number of applications but there were streaks and clumps. I tried to wash them off prior to applying the new stuff Monday but there were still some clumps. When I took them out of the cooler, I reapplied the Fluon+ to the inner lid and a 2” rim along the walls taking care to avoid streaks, remove clumps, and double-coat the corners. After drying, I think it worked, Feeding accomplished! Perhaps I’ll manage Friday’s session without a pre-chill. 

https://www.formicul...6-f32d3714b5eb/

Now I just have to figure out how to manage the space for the ‘lil Gremlins with a larger nest (on order from THA) and outworld. I’ll be able to swing the spring and summers but there won’t be space in my cooler for diapause. Thanks MinigunL5, Chickalo, ANTDrew, and noebl1 for your help!

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#2027 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 30 2021 - 12:53 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
There is no lovelier sight in ant-keeping than seeing your ants fall awkwardly off your barrier.
  • ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard, MinigunL5 and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#2028 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 30 2021 - 1:34 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

There is no lovelier sight in ant-keeping than seeing your ants fall awkwardly off your barrier.

That huge sense of relief when you realize your ants won’t escape while you sleep 😂
  • ConcordAntman, yaboiseth, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#2029 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 30 2021 - 2:40 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

That huge sense of relief when you realize your ants won’t escape while you sleep

The realization that you no longer half to fear of escaping ants when opening the lid to feed them

• ConcordAntman and Antkeeper01 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#2030 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 30 2021 - 6:19 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Or that terrible feeling when you realize why you felt that slightly different resistance when you slipped the outworld lid back in place :shout:

• Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#2031 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 2 2021 - 5:34 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

What a difference a fresh application of “new” Fluon+ makes. Today was feeding day again, and it was a piece of cake! No chillin’ and no killin’! It was raining ants in my C. penns colony. I was able to clean and feed with no drama. For now, it seems I’ve gotten their outworld managed. I’m working on expanding the nest in hopes that it will lead to fewer workers in the outworld. We’ll see!

Edited by ConcordAntman, July 4 2021 - 12:19 PM.

• AntsMaryland, ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#2032 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 3 2021 - 2:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

What a difference a fresh application of “new” Freon+ makes. Today was feeding day again, and it was a piece of cake! No chillin’ and no killin’! It was raining ants in my C. penns colony. I was able to clean and feed with no drama. For now, it seems I’ve gotten their outworld managed. I’m working on expanding the nest in hopes that it will lead to fewer workers in the outworld. We’ll see!

Double like!

#2033 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 4 2021 - 12:30 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Another feeding session with no issues. Everyone seems to be stable for the moment. I still have a P. imparis queen that I caught in March though. She’s alive but eggless and I haven’t fed her. What should I do for her?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2034 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 4 2021 - 12:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Another feeding session with no issues. Everyone seems to be stable for the moment. I still have a P. imparis queen that I caught in March though. She’s alive but eggless and I haven’t fed her. What should I do for her?

It’s pretty much certain she never mated then. Let her go, or euthanize in the freezer.

#2035 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 4 2021 - 12:41 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Thanks man, I’ll let her go and let Mother Nature do her thing. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2036 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 4 2021 - 12:43 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

My thought when I saw that^ 

https://www.youtube.....J.Thomas-Topic

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#2037 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 4 2021 - 1:07 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Thanks man, I’ll let her go and let Mother Nature do her thing.

Sometimes you just need to let go…

#2038 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 4 2021 - 2:43 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I gotta admit, I really didn’t expect (or want) to be making this post. I actually debated over posting this in the “Worst Deaths from Colony’s/Queens” thread but it didn’t quite fit. In response to ANTDrew’s reply to the query on my eggless P. imparis queen, I went up to my “Ant Closet”, it’s where I keep my colonies spring-fall. My plan was to release the P. imparis queen to her fate. 

B477BDFF C7EF 4446 828E 34579A0D78A8

This is an old shot, taken in 2018 prior to my 6/2020 C. novaeboracensis and 3/2021 P. imparis capture. Here’s a more recent shot. Pay close attention to the plugged port on the left of the Phalanx formicarium there’s a nestmate on the right. 

002F83DA 009F 4D3F B2CC 25A528A4D6D2

This had been a feeding day and about 3 hours earlier, I’d finished feeding and cleaning my bunch. As I mounted the stairs to the Ant Closet, I noticed 2 workers on the stairs. No biggie, this a 100+ year old farmhouse in farmland. But when I opened the door to the closet, I found the plug had fallen out of the port and ants were on the shelves and walls :scare2: THIS IS MY MOST LOVED AND MOST PROLIFIC COLONY!!! I got out my aspirator and began sucking as if my life depended on it! Hell, I didn’t want to admit to my wife that my ants were loose on our 3rd floor after she’s allowed me to keep ants in the house, cockroaches, fruit flies, and crickets, in the freezer for the past 3 years (I did eventually spill the beans though). I either sucked up (too many to count) or killed (4-5) what I couldn’t catch and released the P. imparis queen. As I write this, I've been sitting in front of the Ant Closet for 90 minutes, aspirator at the ready (I just sucked up another two in the last 10 minutes). This could be a long night! I am sooo screwed :facepalm: At least the Fluon+ is still working!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2039 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 4 2021 - 4:07 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Oh no!!!
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#2040 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 4 2021 - 4:38 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Oh no!!!

I owe you another thanks! If it hadn’t been for your post, I wouldn’t have checked on them until I went to bed. Six + hours with an open nest :scare2:

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users