• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID please: March 11, 10p-12a Alta Dena, CA

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Offline nurbs - Posted March 14 2017 - 12:01 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Nice Nurbs! Congrats! I may swing back tonight after I get back from down here in the Cleveland National Forest. My wife and kids already think I'm crazy anyway!

There's more to the story if you are going tonight.

On the weekends, they apparently do not lock the gate so we were able to go in and out. Not sure what the actual county policy is, so there may be certain weekends where they do lock the gate. 

Sign says gate closes from 8pm-6am, all day everyday. Last night, figured theses quercicolas come out super late at night, so I drove in around 10pm. The gate was not closed or locked.

Was there for about 2 hours and left a little bit after 12am. Had my gym clothes in the truck, so took a tshirt and stuck it to a long tree branch to reach the queens high up in the trees. Using this method - and because it was late and also noticed it was quite warm last night - was able to find a lot. I pretty much just circled the parking lot and hit up the same few trees over and over again for two hours. Found a few on the pavement and ground as well.

When I left after 12am, however, the gate was locked. So I slept in the truck at the Chaney parking lot and left around 7am this morning. Just a heads up if you plan on going tonight and your wife and kids are wondering why you're not home til 7am  :lol:

Edited by nurbs, March 14 2017 - 12:05 PM.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#22 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 14 2017 - 12:06 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Holy smokes! Thanks for the warning! Yeah my son and I went on Saturday night and the gate was opened and we left around 12:30am.

#23 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 14 2017 - 3:17 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

I would be careful of late nights up there. I know of several people being harassed and shot at by gang bangers in recent history. Sadly it is not the same place it was when i was growing up.

#24 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 14 2017 - 6:04 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I would be careful of late nights up there. I know of several people being harassed and shot at by gang bangers in recent history. Sadly it is not the same place it was when i was growing up.

:o  :o  :o 

• thosaka likes this

YJK

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 14 2017 - 6:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Doesn't surprise me when the mountains are directly up against urban neighborhoods. It's a lot different in the foothills of Orange County. You drive miles out of the city before you even get to the mountains. Most ghetto riffraff don't have any desire to journey all the way out there.

• gcsnelling likes this

#26 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 15 2017 - 7:12 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
So I got up there around 7p last night just at twilight. I hung around the parking lot a bit and then went down the trail a couple of times. I saw a couple a the smaller Camponotus queens at first but then I saw like 5 of the black Camponotus on a tree but then realized they were just majors after I caught like 3 of them! Long story short, I only caught 2 more of the black Camponotus because I left at 8:30p. I didn't want to get locked in. The gate was actually closed when I drove down and I thought I was screwed and locked in and would have to spend the night, but I then noticed they hadn't locked all of the 15 pad locks yet. So I opened the gate, let myself out and then closed the gate again.

#27 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 15 2017 - 6:06 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
I'm so sad. All of the Californians have fun catching Camponotus queens but it's snowing here in Wisconsin... 😞
  • opezskiller likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#28 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 15 2017 - 6:08 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I'm so sad. All of the Californians have fun catching Camponotus queens but it's snowing here in Wisconsin...

When you live in Canada and someone in the US complains about snow

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#29 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 15 2017 - 6:17 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I'm so sad. All of the Californians have fun catching Camponotus queens but it's snowing here in Wisconsin...

LMFAO I used to live in Utah so can I complain Canada?

YJK

#30 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 16 2017 - 3:19 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I'm like an hour or two south of Canada, we get all your cold air. What have you done to me.... 😭

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users