• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Liquid Feeder 01 Research and Design (Updated 5-30-2016)

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 Offline bekss0nn - Posted August 13 2016 - 2:03 PM

bekss0nn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Could you post mabey some links to materials you would recomend for building one of these? :)

#62 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 13 2016 - 7:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I already did.

#63 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 20 2016 - 11:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I had something strange happen to one of these feeders over a period of about seven months.

med_gallery_2_494_149358.jpg

#64 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 20 2016 - 11:36 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Is that PLA or ABS? PLA is supposed to be hydrophilic but I couldn't find any examples of it behaving to this degree.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#65 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 20 2016 - 11:58 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They're PLA, but that is dried sugar water that slowly oozed out. I'm not exactly sure how that happened; it doesn't seem typical of capillary action.

#66 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 21 2016 - 6:45 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

And how did the rock candy taste, Drew?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#67 Offline TKD102 - Posted July 11 2017 - 12:18 PM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Iluminati Confirmed.  :lol:

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

#68 Offline cpman - Posted July 12 2017 - 6:56 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

They're PLA, but that is dried sugar water that slowly oozed out. I'm not exactly sure how that happened; it doesn't seem typical of capillary action.

It could be capillary action -- similar things form in caves (helictites), and they are thought to form my capillary action through very small pores in rock.

Basicaly, a little droplet forms, hardens around the edges first, and then acts as a "tube", so another droplet gets pulled to the front.

If there isn't great bonding between the layers near the tip, it could be acting the same way.

Just a note -- I've seen similar formations of Ca(COOH)2 on CaSO4 when I've tried dissolving plaster on vinegar. I'm pretty sure they were formed from capillary action, because they formed pretty high above the liquid line.

Edited by cpman, July 12 2017 - 7:03 AM.

• Kevin likes this

#69 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 13 2017 - 12:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It could be capillary action -- similar things form in caves (helictites), and they are thought to form my capillary action through very small pores in rock.

Basicaly, a little droplet forms, hardens around the edges first, and then acts as a "tube", so another droplet gets pulled to the front.

If there isn't great bonding between the layers near the tip, it could be acting the same way.

Just a note -- I've seen similar formations of Ca(COOH)2 on CaSO4 when I've tried dissolving plaster on vinegar. I'm pretty sure they were formed from capillary action, because they formed pretty high above the liquid line.

Well yeah, capillary action is what brought the liquid up there. I just don't get why it did exactly what it did. It's not typical at all.

#70 Offline Kevin - Posted July 13 2017 - 5:53 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I just don't get why it did exactly what it did. It's not typical at all.

Because, underextrusion and layer separation.

Generally, the layers are more susceptible to separation at the point of a tall object, likely from the increased layer creation speed not allowing for proper cooling (layer separation) or the printer's incapability to provide enough filament due to increased speeds, jams, clogs, misconfigurations, and many other possible issues. Sugar water leaked through and crystallized on the outside creating a tube-like shell and piping the sugar water up (capillary action) and making these "crystals" you see in the picture.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#71 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 13 2017 - 9:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just don't get why it did exactly what it did. It's not typical at all.

Because, underextrusion and layer separation.

Generally, the layers are more susceptible to separation at the point of a tall object, likely from the increased layer creation speed not allowing for proper cooling (layer separation) or the printer's incapability to provide enough filament due to increased speeds, jams, clogs, misconfigurations, and many other possible issues. Sugar water leaked through and crystallized on the outside creating a tube-like shell and piping the sugar water up (capillary action) and making these "crystals" you see in the picture.

The caps are not even close to under extruded. Nothing is coming out of the sides of the cap.

#72 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 20 2018 - 8:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
It's been a while now, and these feeders are still working great for me.

I did however, just improve the design quite a bit.

First of all, they are printed in one piece now instead of having a base and a cap. This allows them to hold more liquid, and you don't have the problem of caps that don't fit very well due to slight variations in size. Another problem with the old ones is sometimes (not too often) I would even break the neck off trying to remove the cap.

Second, these new ones are printed from PETG instead of PLA, so they should not deform should you wash them in really hot water.

I'm also only using one loop of kevlar now instead of two. I've watched the ants drink from these things, and there is just no reason they need two. that really just creates more surface area that leads to slightly faster evaporation. Ants can drink from the absolute tiniest source of liquid. Sometimes it takes them quite a while to fill up, but this is probably much closer to the way things are in the wild.

med_gallery_2_494_196414.jpg

I now have three sizes. I made smaller ones that fit inside my little starter formicariums, and probably other small starter formicariums, and I made very large ones for large colonies. I have a few colonies that I have to give three of the medium-sized feeders too to last them two weeks. Having just one large one will save me the extra work.

med_gallery_2_494_199529.jpg

med_gallery_2_494_475028.jpg

In case you are wondering how they are filled, the hole is in the bottom now. I'm of course using one of my little ever-so-useful silicone plugs in the bottom to seal it shut.

med_gallery_2_494_696614.jpg

The plug fits all the way inside the recessed hole, so the feeder still sits perfectly flat. All it takes is your thumbnail to get it out.

med_gallery_2_494_306617.jpg
  • drtrmiller, noebl1, Martialis and 3 others like this

#73 Offline T.C. - Posted January 30 2018 - 10:45 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

I'd be interested in buying a few... are you selling them?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#74 Offline nurbs - Posted January 30 2018 - 12:34 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Looks good Drew. Might have to try these out. I've resorted to using aluminum foil. With commercial feeders, the ants just stack dirt and gunk all over it.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#75 Offline KBant - Posted January 30 2018 - 2:26 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

would refilling be easier if a really tiny hole just under the string holes were made on the pyramid feeder design, small enough to fit a needle, or by inserting a really hot small gauged needle. that way all one would have to do is insert a needle with some fluon around the syringe and load up some sugar water. I'm thinking more long term with larger colonies- it would be much easier to feed if you didn't have to take out the feeder each time.  I'm sure with smaller colonies it would be just as easy to take out and refill. 

#76 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 30 2018 - 10:08 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

would refilling be easier if a really tiny hole just under the string holes were made on the pyramid feeder design, small enough to fit a needle, or by inserting a really hot small gauged needle. that way all one would have to do is insert a needle with some fluon around the syringe and load up some sugar water. I'm thinking more long term with larger colonies- it would be much easier to feed if you didn't have to take out the feeder each time. I'm sure with smaller colonies it would be just as easy to take out and refill.

That would be an interesting modification... I honestly wonder how easy it would be to do such a thing thought, because if it wasn't very difficult, Drew probably would have done it already.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#77 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 31 2018 - 3:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

would refilling be easier if a really tiny hole just under the string holes were made on the pyramid feeder design, small enough to fit a needle, or by inserting a really hot small gauged needle. that way all one would have to do is insert a needle with some fluon around the syringe and load up some sugar water. I'm thinking more long term with larger colonies- it would be much easier to feed if you didn't have to take out the feeder each time. I'm sure with smaller colonies it would be just as easy to take out and refill.

That would be an interesting modification... I honestly wonder how easy it would be to do such a thing thought, because if it wasn't very difficult, Drew probably would have done it already.

I've already thought about that. I've had a few ideas, but I'm not sure if they will be compatible with my design. The only way it can be done is using a grommet like the ones that hold the air in basketballs. Otherwise you're just giving small ants a way inside the feeder. There is obviously air pressure issues too. It would all have to be tested.

Right now I'm focusing on trying to make a 100% 3D printed one without the need for kevlar string.

#78 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 31 2018 - 3:20 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'd be interested in buying a few... are you selling them?

I've been selling them and giving them away with ant colony and formicarium purchases. The new design still has to be perfected though. I'm still trying to eliminate some minor problems they have had for a long time. Once I perfect them I'll post them up along with everything else I sell. I just haven't really posted anything yet, other than ant colonies in my GAN thread.

#79 Offline FSTP - Posted January 31 2018 - 12:53 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I like these, they seem like they would be less susceptible to ants wanting to bury it or stack sand and particles on it.

• sgheaton likes this

#80 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 31 2018 - 5:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I like these, they seem like they would be less susceptible to ants wanting to bury it or stack sand and particles on it.

They definitely are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users