• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Liquid Feeder 01 Research and Design (Updated 5-30-2016)

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 11 2015 - 5:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nice. You should cut that wick down, because that's a lot of unnecessary surface area that's just going to cause more evaporation.

• Crystals likes this

#22 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 11 2015 - 8:20 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Good point, thanks for the tip!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#23 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 14 2015 - 8:20 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Well it's been nine days, and the feeder is still working fine. You can see the difference in the amount of evaporation between this feeder, and the ByFormica feeder. This one only experienced about 25 percent the evaporation.

med_gallery_2_494_517074.jpg

I think you'll find that the substantial difference in osmotic pressure between the two units is responsible for this observation.

With the wick having an inverted pressure differential compared to a gravity-assisted feeder, you have pretty much reached the threshold for what is possible—about 1 inch—given the solution's viscosity and composition.

After this point, it will be nearly impossible for ants to recover the remaining liquid, because the pressure will be at equilibrium lower down the wick.

You can repeat this experiment with a sponge or paper towel drawing up the liquid from the top of the wick, and come to the same result much more quickly—within a few seconds, the liquid will stop flowing.

Edited by dspdrew, June 20 2020 - 11:09 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 14 2015 - 1:21 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The experiment was to check the rate of evaporation. Basic science would tell you that a much larger surface area will result in more evaporation, so that is no surprise. I just wanted to get a feel for how much more it would be.

Were you talking about the distance that capillary action would move the liquid?

#25 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 14 2015 - 1:31 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#26 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 14 2015 - 1:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well that distance depends on the cohesion/adhesion properties of the material and liquid, and the size of the capillaries.

#27 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 18 2015 - 1:00 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
This is about the limit for the distance capillary action will pull this liquid up the kevlar strands. This feeder was just starting to dry out.

med_gallery_2_494_356855.jpg

I decided to put it to the burying test by giving one to the real professionals.

med_gallery_2_494_893696.jpg

So far they aren't trying to bury anything.

med_gallery_2_494_83317.jpg

This on the other hand, is what my Myrmecocystus navajo did to one. if this is all they do to it, there's no problem at all.

med_gallery_2_494_70462.jpg
  • Here for the honeypots likes this

#28 Offline Crystals - Posted October 18 2015 - 7:41 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

With my colonies, the worst ones for draining waterers only put a bit of dirt on top.  Not enough to go over the edge, so they don't drain.

I would stick with the flat top type, besides, it can be hard to clean triangular ones.

http://s445.photobuc...xbhjzy.jpg.html

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#29 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 18 2015 - 8:17 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hmmmm. I will think about that.

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 23 2016 - 11:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
So it's been months now, and this is the worst mess the ants could make... any of them. It's not a mess at all.

med_gallery_2_494_813648.jpg

Anyway, the actual design I had in mind wouldn't even allow for that.

I guess you can call this the Feeder of Providence. :D I should have one made very soon.

sml_gallery_2_494_10054.png  sml_gallery_2_494_45255.png
  • Gregory2455, ctantkeeper, Barristan and 1 other like this

#31 Offline john.harrold - Posted February 23 2016 - 3:59 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca

I guess you can call this the Feeder of Providence. :D I should have one made very soon.

sml_gallery_2_494_10054.png  sml_gallery_2_494_45255.png

Are you going to make the outside surface textured? Also is it going to be translucent so the liquid level can be seen from the outside?

#32 Offline klawfran3 - Posted February 23 2016 - 4:38 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
Don't say I didn't warn you if your ants elect a new pharaoh, Drew!

Also it would be a shame to not use this with Monomorium pharaonis!

Looks good, how much liquid will it hold?

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 23 2016 - 6:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Looks good, how much liquid will it hold?

About 5 ml.

• prettycode likes this

#34 Offline Shaye - Posted March 19 2016 - 12:05 AM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Is the lid going to be like a twist and click?

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#35 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 19 2016 - 12:37 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Just friction-fit.

#36 Offline Barristan - Posted March 19 2016 - 1:28 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I was inspired by your idea and created a feeder for sugared water too. That's how it looks like:

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

• ctantkeeper and PaigeX like this

#37 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 19 2016 - 10:05 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Looks good. Funny how it took a while before I realized looping it over solved a lot of the minor problems with this design. Are those wicks sponges?

#38 Offline Barristan - Posted March 20 2016 - 3:23 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Looks good. Funny how it took a while before I realized looping it over solved a lot of the minor problems with this design. Are those wicks sponges?

I made the loop so that more ants can drink simultaneously. Those are called sponge cloths but it's not a sponge. It's made out of cellulose and cotton. It's food safe and compostable so It's safe for ants.

#39 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 20 2016 - 8:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I see. I looped my wick over because I wanted something small (to cut down on evaporation) and clean looking. All the other ideas I had to accomplish this had a wick that could easily fall out, which would be a bigger problem. So that was my reasoning.

#40 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 23 2016 - 10:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I finally got my 3D printer.

It took a while because of the small size, but I finally got these to print out correctly. The caps fit nicely, and they are water-tight.

med_gallery_2_494_88124.jpg

med_gallery_2_494_291425.jpg

med_gallery_2_494_215353.jpg

med_gallery_2_494_365374.jpg
  • Trailandstreet likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users