• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gah, parents...

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#61 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 4 2022 - 12:07 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Hm, yea ill continue to observe and study ants, I hope I'm not moving completly out of town because I'll have to leave behind even more than just ants. I wonder if there are other ways I can earn easy money that don't involve ants...

• ColAnt735 likes this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#62 Offline bmb1bee - Posted March 4 2022 - 1:20 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Hmm, there are a few easy suggestions you could do to gather money:

Lemonade stand
Lawn mowing

Walking dogs

Red envelope money on Lunar New Year  :yahoo:

• Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and ColAnt735 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#63 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 4 2022 - 1:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Absolutely. Cut lawns, rake leaves, buy groceries for the elderly. If you’re skilled in a subject, you could tutor. That sort of stuff.
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#64 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 4 2022 - 3:12 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Tutorings not going to work (I'm trying to get a grip of my own grades). Cutting lawns, raking leaves, mowing lawns and other stuff like that would work but everyone here would just rather do it themselves. I have thought about a lemonade stand, although Its always sounded kinda...lame to me (I also don't like standing there all day waiting for some random person to approach me). there's not many elderly people around that actually need help doing anything (their all fit and can probably lift more weight than me :lol:). The only thing that actually gets me a decent amount of money is shovling snow, but winters basicly over and there's no more snow.

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#65 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 4 2022 - 8:11 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Antpartment? You don't have to do that, it's just something I guess I have to just deal with. I mean to give you guys a better Idea heres a brief summary of what's been going on (and a little peek at how the converstion between my mom and I would probably go). I live in Bogota NJ and my parents work at a resturant that gets us enough money to get by. Now the resturant is going to be sold, and so is our house. No resturant=now job for my parents=no money=have to save money=no ants. We're probably moving into an aparment and ants in there are going to be a no-no. If I did ask, this is probably how it goes:

Me: can I pleaaasssseeee keep ants like inside or outside, or anywhere really???
My mom: can't you see we're in a type of money crisis right now?!
Me: but on Formiculture, there are people who are will to hel-
My mom: I don't care what they have to offer, I can't stand ants and that's that!
Me: Bu-
My mom: no
Me: B-
My mom: NO! And I don't want to hear ANYTHING about ants ever again. *angrily walks out of the room*

Short and sad conversation, but it's basicly what happens anytime I bring up ants (also the part about "And I don't want to hear ANYTHING about ants ever again" was directly quoted from every conversation about ants I've had with her). I know I shouldn't give up but what other choices do I have?

This was me for a while… unfortunately many people do not recognize ants true beauty.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#66 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 4 2022 - 8:15 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Tutorings not going to work (I'm trying to get a grip of my own grades). Cutting lawns, raking leaves, mowing lawns and other stuff like that would work but everyone here would just rather do it themselves. I have thought about a lemonade stand, although Its always sounded kinda...lame to me (I also don't like standing there all day waiting for some random person to approach me). there's not many elderly people around that actually need help doing anything (their all fit and can probably lift more weight than me :lol:). The only thing that actually gets me a decent amount of money is shovling snow, but winters basicly over and there's no more snow.

This sounds like a difficult situation, and what I just though of as I am typing this is what about washing cars?

I do know many people will actually pay people to wash cars, but it may be a long shot.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#67 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 5 2022 - 3:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Also dog walking. Whatever service you try, you’ll want to post ads somewhere to get clients.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#68 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 5 2022 - 9:04 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Good news and bad news...

Good news is that I somewhat convinced my mom into letting me keep ants, she put down some rules tho, I have to keep my grades up, I must keep them out of sight from anyone (she's worried that someones going to come thinking about buying the house then see the ants, she thinks that once someone ees ants their deal is gone), and I have to keep em outside (like in the garage). 

Bad news: my parents are still going to sell the resturant and maybe the house (maybe...idk if that good or not). If we do move ill have to let let my ants go. That's why for now I won't acually keep ants but instead sell em. So, any that I don't get to sell the queens I catch (on the GAN project) Ill either give away for free (if anyone wantes the queen) or just let them go.

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, Leptomyrmx and 1 other like this

#69 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 5 2022 - 10:53 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Yeah the rules on GAN are completely ignored by pretty much everyone. Just make sure you don't break any actual laws (Shipping out of state without a permit is really the only one).

This is true. I see people breaking actual laws like not selling invasive species. What some people do is they put “contact for availability”

Edited by SolenopsisKeeper-, March 5 2022 - 10:53 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#70 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 5 2022 - 10:57 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Good news and bad news...
Good news is that I somewhat convinced my mom into letting me keep ants, she put down some rules tho, I have to keep my grades up, I must keep them out of sight from anyone (she's worried that someones going to come thinking about buying the house then see the ants, she thinks that once someone ees ants their deal is gone), and I have to keep em outside (like in the garage). 

Bad news: my parents are still going to sell the resturant and maybe the house (maybe...idk if that good or not). If we do move ill have to let let my ants go. That's why for now I won't acually keep ants but instead sell em. So, any that I don't get to sell the queens I catch (on the GAN project) Ill either give away for free (if anyone wantes the queen) or just let them go.

If you do move, that would be ok, as you could probably find some more queens in another area. I am releasing/“putting down” a lot of my colonies when I move…(Putting down is for invicta)

#71 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 5 2022 - 10:59 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Thanks for staying positive, I'm not going to leave the forum or anything but the problem is that 1) formicariums and equitment after the founding stage is to expensive for what my parents have now and 2) I worry about my parents health, their not really in great positions (from the hard work in th resturant), and the stress I would cause for them by keeping ants would just make things so much worse. I guess I'll try again in the futrure. Thanks for all the support.

I say you could try to make your own formicarium for that. I have seen DIY ant habitats that require tuphoware or recycled containers.

#72 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 5 2022 - 11:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I made this thread just for your situation:
https://www.formicul...g/?fromsearch=1

#73 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 5 2022 - 6:12 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

WHat does the GAN sign up form mean by "Proof of Identification (indicating your address)"?

also, what if my client lives too far away for me to meet them in person? What would I do then?

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 5 2022 - 6:28 PM.

#74 Offline antgallery - Posted March 5 2022 - 7:31 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

WHat does the GAN sign up form mean by "Proof of Identification (indicating your address)"?

also, what if my client lives too far away for me to meet them in person? What would I do then?

I think I just took a picture of a electricity bill for proof of identification. Most of the time the people your selling to will drive an insane distance just for a simple colony (I've had a family drive four hours, so eight to me and back, just for a Camponotus queen with workers) although that's people in the Midwest, it might be different in NJ I'm not sure. If they don't feel like driving very far you can have someone drive you to meet them half way. Although considering your parents don't seem thrilled about the idea of you keeping ants, they may not want to take time out of their day to drive you somewhere. Another option is to ship them, it's very simple, legal, and I believe the flat rate to ship is $10 which I make the customer pay, so you won't be losing any money. And in my introverted opinion I actually like shipping my ants more than meeting up with random people.

• Antkeeper01 and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#75 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 6 2022 - 3:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Your dad could also scan his driver’s license, but an electric bill is a good idea. I don’t think there are a lot of other sellers active in NJ anymore, so you could make bank.
  • Antkeeper01 and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#76 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 6 2022 - 8:55 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
That is true, in Florida we apparently have 43, but only like 6 or 7 are active

#77 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 6 2022 - 10:35 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I wonder if anyone will actually buy from me...I could just imagine myself with so many queens and people are just ignoring me :lol:

#78 Offline bmb1bee - Posted March 6 2022 - 10:42 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I mean, if you post a sales page on this forum, a lot of people here would be willing to consider buying your ants  :D

• azzaaazzzz00 and ColAnt735 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#79 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 6 2022 - 10:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Do both, but you’ll get way more business via GAN.

#80 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 6 2022 - 12:43 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Do both, but you’ll get way more business via GAN.

Yeah, this forum is a fraction of the antkeepers around the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users