• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gah, parents...

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#21 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted February 28 2022 - 1:01 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

It says that they only take some ants (I don't think they take the smaller species), are there any other companies like THA that takes all species? 

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 28 2022 - 1:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t mess with that yet. Try GAN project first. Customers can come to you, no mailing required.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 28 2022 - 2:04 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
I got a plastic bin and put bricks at the bottom so that it wouldn’t fly away (bin with lid) also it was very stormy and windy when I started keeping ants so I don’t think bricks should be necessary. But basically I kept them in that bin outside and my ants did great and during the winter they stayed in a shed or for your case a garage which you could explain to your parents that because it’s cold the ants will hibernate and not move at all.
We don’t talk about that

#24 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 28 2022 - 3:02 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Additionally, you could make a sales page here on formiculture and show it to your parents? Just an idea, but it'll only work if you have any ants that you're willing to sell (your parents might ask you to sell ALL your ants for money, which you probably don't want).

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#25 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted February 28 2022 - 4:02 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Don’t mess with that yet. Try GAN project first. Customers can come to you, no mailing required.

Yea ok.....how would I set that up...? Believe me when I tell you I don't know anything about selling (please don't think I'm like that big of an idiot, but at first I was like: What the hell is GAN?)

Additionally, you could make a sales page here on formiculture and show it to your parents? Just an idea, but it'll only work if you have any ants that you're willing to sell (your parents might ask you to sell ALL your ants for money, which you probably don't want).

THAT won't be a problem because currently I have no colonies (my parents made me release them in my backyard :()

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#26 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 28 2022 - 4:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
GAN stands for Global Ant Network. You can sign up on the AntsCanada website. Minors will need parental permission.
95% of people looking for ants start there first, or at least they used to. I made 2k last year hardly even trying.

Edited by ANTdrew, February 28 2022 - 4:24 PM.

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and azzaaazzzz00 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#27 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted February 28 2022 - 4:57 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Ah, now I understand, ok I'll try to set something up after permission from my parents. Thank you to everyone who has replied here. If there's anything else I should know you can just put that here.

• ColAnt735 likes this

#28 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted February 28 2022 - 5:05 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

GAN stands for Global Ant Network. You can sign up on the AntsCanada website. Minors will need parental permission.
95% of people looking for ants start there first, or at least they used to. I made 2k last year hardly even trying.

I thought it was Global Ant Nursery.

2k? Geez
  • Antkeeper01 and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#29 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 28 2022 - 5:55 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Yea ok.....how would I set that up...? Believe me when I tell you I don't know anything about selling (please don't think I'm like that big of an idiot, but at first I was like: What the hell is GAN?)

THAT won't be a problem because currently I have no colonies (my parents made me release them in my backyard :()

They made you release your ants??? You need some sympathy here, although honestly that's what my parents used to do to me  :(

• Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and ColAnt735 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#30 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 1 2022 - 2:01 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I think someone mentioned something like this but it says that my parents have to fill out the form. "You must be at least 18 yrs old to sell ants through the GAN project or partner with your parent/guardian. Your parent/guardian should be filling out the form and providing us with the contact details (email, phone number, etc)." Does this mean that my parents have to come with me when giving a queen to a buyer or does it just mean that they fill out the form and their work there is done.

If this doesn't work I'm going to just have to wait until I'm old enough to go off on my own.

Oh yea and good news: I convinced my dad!!! Now it just my mom (not surprised as she...despises ants)

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 1 2022 - 2:17 PM.

• ColAnt735 likes this

#31 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2022 - 4:53 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
So here’s what you do: any new queens you catch are purely for sale. Start bringing cash money in and you’ll quickly convince both your parents. The founding stage is the funnest part of ant-keeping in any case. Once they realize ants won’t eat down your house, plus they’re lucrative, you’re literally in business.

#32 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 1 2022 - 7:46 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Agree with antdrew. Also, not all Camponotus actually eat wood, something to let your parents know(Floridanus is one of them, and this is more rare in Camponotus than other species) Also, you could attempt to raise leaf cutters(if in your area) I have heard that they sell for a lot after they have workers and a large fungus garden. Also, if you live in North America, nuptial flights are just around the corner.

Also, I wish you luck with your mom ;)

#33 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2022 - 3:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Agree with antdrew. Also, not all Camponotus actually eat wood, something to let your parents know(Floridanus is one of them, and this is more rare in Camponotus than other species) Also, you could attempt to raise leaf cutters(if in your area) I have heard that they sell for a lot after they have workers and a large fungus garden. Also, if you live in North America, nuptial flights are just around the corner.

Also, I wish you luck with your mom ;)

Zero Camponotus actually eat wood. Only termites do that.
  • Antkeeper01, OiledOlives, TacticalHandleGaming and 1 other like this

#34 Offline bmb1bee - Posted March 2 2022 - 11:04 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I feel like a lot of parents really hate ants for some reason. Maybe it's just because of the fact that they're "bugs", where they think that they're "dirty" or "harmful". Truth is, they're cleaner than most other insects since they constantly groom themselves. Parents probably hate ants also because of the wood-nesting species (like Camponotus) or species that raid kitchens and make messy nests in lawns. I'd say that the only problematic species would be Solenopsis and/or Camponotus if they escape, which isn't likely since they're a larger species. Monomorium would be up there too, but I'm reluctant to mention them here since there was a legit Monomorium minimum fanclub thread here  :lol: But anyways, try to raise species that your parents would be more willing to agree to, i.e. Lasius, Crematogaster, and other common-ish species you can find.

#35 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 2 2022 - 12:27 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Lasius is probably my best bet because last year, there were hundreds of them in the backyard, windows, and everywhere in general. I like keeping camponotus or larger species of any ant. My mom did mention that kitchen raids and damage to the house wasn't the only reason she doesn't like ants, it's also because the plain sight of ants (the more the worse I guess) freaks her out. I suggested that I put something over evrything but that would include the outworld, and I don't think the ants would want to be in the dark for the rest of their days.

#36 Offline bmb1bee - Posted March 2 2022 - 12:49 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Lasius is probably my best bet because last year, there were hundreds of them in the backyard, windows, and everywhere in general. I like keeping camponotus or larger species of any ant. My mom did mention that kitchen raids and damage to the house wasn't the only reason she doesn't like ants, it's also because the plain sight of ants (the more the worse I guess) freaks her out. I suggested that I put something over evrything but that would include the outworld, and I don't think the ants would want to be in the dark for the rest of their days.

My parents have that deal too, they not only hate ants from what damage they think the ants will cause, but also just by looking at them...

#37 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2022 - 1:04 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ants wouldn’t mind being in the dark at all.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#38 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 2 2022 - 5:57 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

I am curious to see if this would affect colonies in food intake, as some species only forage at night(Depending on size). If they constantly foraged, they would use more energy needed more carbohydrates. (I have tested and some(Only one tested so far) species will forage at day if kept dark)

Also, I simply misspoke on the Camponotus. I do know they don’t eat wood, only chew threw decomposing wood as they do not have the organs to break down cellulose(like termites)
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#39 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 2 2022 - 5:58 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

I feel like a lot of parents really hate ants for some reason. Maybe it's just because of the fact that they're "bugs", where they think that they're "dirty" or "harmful". Truth is, they're cleaner than most other insects since they constantly groom themselves. Parents probably hate ants also because of the wood-nesting species (like Camponotus) or species that raid kitchens and make messy nests in lawns. I'd say that the only problematic species would be Solenopsis and/or Camponotus if they escape, which isn't likely since they're a larger species. Monomorium would be up there too, but I'm reluctant to mention them here since there was a legit Monomorium minimum fanclub thread here  :lol: But anyways, try to raise species that your parents would be more willing to agree to, i.e. Lasius, Crematogaster, and other common-ish species you can find.

But also note, rare species do sell for more…
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#40 Offline OiledOlives - Posted March 3 2022 - 9:18 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I am curious to see if this would affect colonies in food intake, as some species only forage at night(Depending on size). If they constantly foraged, they would use more energy needed more carbohydrates. (I have tested and some(Only one tested so far) species will forage at day if kept dark)

Also, I simply misspoke on the Camponotus. I do know they don’t eat wood, only chew threw decomposing wood as they do not have the organs to break down cellulose(like termites)

Termites do not have organs to break down cellulose either, as far as I know. (https://sciencing.co...d-13406469.html)

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users