• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gah, parents...

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#101 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 8 2022 - 3:01 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Where can I find where it says you can distribute them, but not sell them?
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#102 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 8 2022 - 4:20 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

On GAN can you sell items like formicariums? I'm not really good at making them but just wondering.

• ColAnt735 likes this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#103 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 8 2022 - 4:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

On GAN can you sell items like formicariums? I'm not really good at making them but just wondering.

Once you connect with customers via email, you can sell them anything under the sun.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#104 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 8 2022 - 4:31 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Oh, well that makes things even better!

• ColAnt735 likes this

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#105 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 8 2022 - 6:25 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Oh, well that makes things even better!

“Package” deal. Doubles price lol. Prices are ridiculous on GAN farming 250$ for a C. Floridanus colony, second year. They really aren’t that hard to catch or raise(Could probably find a small colony for free) but it comes with 60$ worth of equipment! Wow great deal.

The fact is, people will not actually know the value of formicarium, so they can’t piece it togetether(Unless they have made one before)I think it would be best to start out with just ants, then after you sell to a few customers, or customers emailing you with questions on what to do after they outgrow it, I think you could really sell then.
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#106 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 9 2022 - 5:10 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I suck at IDs so when I get the queens I'll still have to post like 100 ID's on here. But people will probably get annoyed...

• ColAnt735 likes this

#107 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 9 2022 - 7:06 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I suck at IDs so when I get the queens I'll still have to post like 100 ID's on here. But people will probably get annoyed...

It's completely fine with me if you post a ton of ID's  they help me improve my ID skills.

• Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and lazyant like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#108 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 9 2022 - 12:12 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Apparently(pretty sure) you don’t need exact ID for GAN, but it would be helpful for buyers
  • Antkeeper01 and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#109 Offline antgallery - Posted March 9 2022 - 12:39 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Eventually you will get the hang of IDing the common species in your area.

• Antkeeper01 and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#110 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 9 2022 - 12:51 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

The GAN directions said that you could just put a pic of the colony and say unknown sp., but I don't think people would want to see:

Queen #1:unknown sp.

Queen #2:unknown sp.

Queen #3:unknown sp.

Queen #4:unknown sp.

Queen #5:unknown sp.

Queen #6:unknown sp.

Then the customers: geez, this guys an idiot...better not buy from him!

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 9 2022 - 12:55 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

#111 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 9 2022 - 1:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You can easily get it down to genus with ID threads on here. That will be enough.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#112 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 9 2022 - 3:03 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Also if I raise a colony (that's not for sale) could I like breed them and have a garenteed restock of ants on GAN? I have lots to learn, I'm not as big brain as some of you people here :lol:

#113 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 9 2022 - 3:30 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Also if I raise a colony (that's not for sale) could I like breed them and have a garenteed restock of ants on GAN? I have lots to learn, I'm not as big brain as some of you people here :lol:

There are only a few select species known to breed in the nest, and almost none of them live in temperate climates. Queens of most species require unrelated males to mate with and highly prefer to do so far away from their parent nest.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#114 Offline antgallery - Posted March 9 2022 - 7:33 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

I think it should be possible, it just would take a long time and might be difficult.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#115 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 9 2022 - 7:35 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I do know that in order to breed Camponotus you'd need to release the alates in a greenhouse sized compartment in order for them to even mate.

But for other species that don't have the space requirements you'd need multiple colonies and nuptial flight stimuli (simulating rain).

• Antkeeper01 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#116 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted March 9 2022 - 8:18 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Maybe possible. Colonies that reproduce via splitting and in-nest mating are easier to breed. For example, Black Crazy Ants and Pharaoh Ants. Species like Oecophylla smaragdina can be kept in a massive container and the queens will mate inside. I don't know how Weaver Ant breeding works but I've seen it done multiple times.

• Antkeeper01 likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#117 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 10 2022 - 1:03 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I've seen someone put a queen from a one colony and a 1 or more males from another into a test tube so they would mate (then take out the males). Does this work for some ants?

#118 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 10 2022 - 1:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It would work for things like Prenolepis and Monomorium. Maybe Nylanderia, too. You need a couple years to get to that point, though.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#119 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 10 2022 - 1:46 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Here is an excerpt from E.O. Wilson’s “The Ants”. Not the newest piece of literature though.(1990)

Attached Images

• AB258C5B-937C-4943-835C-C231D5F0CDFE.jpeg

• AntsDakota and Antkeeper01 like this

#120 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 10 2022 - 2:46 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Right about now, I'm pretty sure nuptial flights have started here but I havn't seen a single ant, much less a queen. So, I want to try a black light, do you know good place to buy one?

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 10 2022 - 2:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users