• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gah, parents...

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#81 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 6 2022 - 1:02 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

A few new questions just popped up :D: what if f a colony that I want to sell gets to big for a test tube? Do I move them to a formicarium and give the consumer the entire formicarium? How do I ship ants? And what do I do if I don't catch many queens this Spring (also when do nuptial flights start and end here in NJ?). Thanks

• ColAnt735 likes this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#82 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 6 2022 - 1:19 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

A few new questions just popped up :D: what if f a colony that I want to sell gets to big for a test tube? Do I move them to a formicarium and give the consumer the entire formicarium? How do I ship ants? And what do I do if I don't catch many queens this Spring (also when do nuptial flights start and end here in NJ?). Thanks

You could also put however many test tubes you need in an outworld instead of giving them a formicarium.

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#83 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 6 2022 - 4:00 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

If you need more than 10 tubes, just move them into a commonly recycled container with some damp dirt. I think they will sell quicker than you think. One trachymyrmex colony in my area sold within a week and people were bidding on it

Edited by SolenopsisKeeper-, March 6 2022 - 4:01 PM.

#84 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 6 2022 - 4:06 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Nuptial flights are beginning in Florida, so I would say very soon. Also, to ship ants within your state, you do not need any permits(someone please correct me if I am wrong). If the species is invasive, you cannot sell or distribute them by US law. If you want to sell to out of state, it can be difficult as it requires permits.

#85 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 6 2022 - 4:27 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Nuptial flights are beginning in Florida, so I would say very soon. Also, to ship ants within your state, you do not need any permits(someone please correct me if I am wrong). If the species is invasive, you cannot sell or distribute them by US law. If you want to sell to out of state, it can be difficult as it requires permits.

So what do I do to ship the ants to someone?

You could also put however many test tubes you need in an outworld instead of giving them a formicarium.

So could I do something like this?:

Drawing for GAN (drawn with kleki.com)

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 6 2022 - 4:32 PM.

• ColAnt735 likes this

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#86 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 6 2022 - 4:42 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Follow my tutorial I linked up above. Eat some salad and use the plastic boxes for outworlds. Put the tubes directly in the box.
  • Kaelwizard and azzaaazzzz00 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#87 Offline antgallery - Posted March 6 2022 - 5:16 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

All you have to do to ship them is:

1. Get a box from your local post office (they are free, at USPS at least).

2. Move you ants into test tubes (if they aren't already in test tubes).

3. Put paper, bubble wrap, etc. in the box and place the test tube/s in the center.

4. Have someone take you to the post office or walk if your close, and ship them. You might also be able to ship them from your house but I've never done that.

5. Give your customer the tracking number, it should be located on the receipt.

6. Done!

Note: Before any of this you need the recipients first and last name and address to put on the package.

#88 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 6 2022 - 6:04 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Follow my tutorial I linked up above. Eat some salad and use the plastic boxes for outworlds. Put the tubes directly in the box.

A little problem is that all the leafy greans my mom gets are either in bags or little boxes that have more holes than any cheese you could ever imagine. I only have this one container that doesn't have a cap but is the right size and no holes. Other than this I got nothin

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

#89 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 6 2022 - 6:09 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

3. Put paper, bubble wrap, etc. in the box and place the test tube/s in the center.

4. Have someone take you to the post office or walk if your close, and ship them. You might also be able to ship them from your house but I've never done that.

6. Done!

Note: Before any of this you need the recipients first and last name and address to put on the package.

Ok, thanks! that clears it up alot more :)

• Antkeeper01, antgallery and ColAnt735 like this

#90 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 6 2022 - 8:44 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
I would just make sure they are not out of state, as this is illegal without proper permits. But assuming you know adresses, this shouldn’t be a problem, Good luck!

Edited by SolenopsisKeeper-, March 6 2022 - 8:45 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#91 Offline NicholasP - Posted March 6 2022 - 11:01 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

6. Done!

This is not right. In order to ship an ant species across state borders you must:

1. File an account with the USDA

2. Designate part of your house for containment for any species that you may be exporting (but to my knowledge you don't need to do that for exporting ants native in your state)

3. You must file with the USDA a set of ant species you want to get export permits for where you want to sell them to in the U.S. (and this is where I get a little iffy since I'm only working on import permits...)

4. After that I believe that just like the import permit you must wait and see if the USDA approves your permit and make sure to be friendly and answer any and all questions they may ask in an email or your permit may be swept off to the side by them (wait times for approval can be anywhere between a week to months so make sure to only start with a small list of species)

5. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING BEFORE SHIPPING. You must make sure to include a copy of the export permit in the package!

6. After it's approved I'm not very sure but to my knowledge you ship to the customer if they live in the native range of the ant and just do regular shipping

I believe this is all of the steps but I am not a hundred percent sure about them so please double check with someone else or even with the workers at USDA as they can help you through any problems you may have! If you have any question feel free to ask!

Edited by NicholasP, March 6 2022 - 11:03 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#92 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 7 2022 - 2:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
He never said anything about shipping across state borders. Don’t overcomplicate things for him. Keep in mind that customers are going to come to him having read the GAN guidelines that say no shipping. If he wants to mail in state, that’s fine. If not, the customers will come to him.

Edited by ANTdrew, March 7 2022 - 3:19 AM.

• azzaaazzzz00 and antgallery like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#93 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 7 2022 - 8:43 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

So is mailing things just putting my ants in a box and give it to the post office...? I'm confused %).

• ColAnt735 likes this

#94 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 7 2022 - 12:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

So is mailing things just putting my ants in a box and give it to the post office...? I'm confused %).

Yeah, that’s all there is to it. I also ask for ground shipping because pressure changes during airmail can cause test tubes to flood. Ground shipping is cheaper, too. Don’t tell them you’re shipping ants; they don’t need to know. Also put a bit of apple or some chopped seeds in the tube to sustain them if it will be a long trip.

#95 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 7 2022 - 12:36 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

6. Done!

This is not right. In order to ship an ant species across state borders you must:

1. File an account with the USDA
2. Designate part of your house for containment for any species that you may be exporting (but to my knowledge you don't need to do that for exporting ants native in your state)
3. You must file with the USDA a set of ant species you want to get export permits for where you want to sell them to in the U.S. (and this is where I get a little iffy since I'm only working on import permits...)
4. After that I believe that just like the import permit you must wait and see if the USDA approves your permit and make sure to be friendly and answer any and all questions they may ask in an email or your permit may be swept off to the side by them (wait times for approval can be anywhere between a week to months so make sure to only start with a small list of species)
5. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING BEFORE SHIPPING. You must make sure to include a copy of the export permit in the package!
6. After it's approved I'm not very sure but to my knowledge you ship to the customer if they live in the native range of the ant and just do regular shipping

I believe this is all of the steps but I am not a hundred percent sure about them so please double check with someone else or even with the workers at USDA as they can help you through any problems you may have! If you have any question feel free to ask!

I think process differs by state,(According to ants emporium Florida makes u send a specimen)but I agree with Antdrew, he probably won’t be going to get orders out of state.

#96 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 7 2022 - 1:36 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Yeah, that’s all there is to it. I also ask for ground shipping because pressure changes during airmail can cause test tubes to flood. Ground shipping is cheaper, too. Don’t tell them you’re shipping ants; they don’t need to know. Also put a bit of apple or some chopped seeds in the tube to sustain them if it will be a long trip.

Do I put like a little sticker on the side indicating the address and stuff? What would I say if the post office person checks the boxes content (or do they never do that)? Could I possibly do this? (and disconnects from the outworld to be reused again for another colony, I don't have clear boxes like the vegitable ones because my mom never buys the ones with the box): 

gallery_6053_2174_97221.png

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 7 2022 - 1:37 PM.

#97 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 7 2022 - 2:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Get tupperware boxes at the dollar store. None of your colonies will need more than one tube before you sell them. Put the tubes direct in the box to 1) save costs on tubing and 2) cut down on possible escape points where you have all the connections. Simplicity is the name of the game here. The ants won’t care.
Address your box with a marker just like a letter. Your address in the upper left, the customer’s address below and to the right. Nobody really cares what’s in your box, plus nobody has time to check them. I wouldn’t say anything, or they may hassle you. Just say science equipment or something if they ask.

Edited by ANTdrew, March 7 2022 - 2:13 PM.

#98 Offline antgallery - Posted March 7 2022 - 8:03 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

I agree with ANTdrew, it's best not to tell the people working there.

• Leptomyrmx likes this

#99 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 8 2022 - 6:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I just checked GAN, and there are only five GAN farmers in your state and none of them have colonies for sale now. You have a wide open market there.

#100 Offline OiledOlives - Posted March 8 2022 - 6:51 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

You can distribute invasive species within your state as long as they are not quarantined. Please check your facts before giving information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users