• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I'm not a birder, but...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 2 2022 - 3:19 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Those of you who have followed any of my identifications may have noticed that I tend to be a little on the cautious, conservative side when applying a name to an observation. Yes I still make mistakes. All that has really had me in a battle with myself over this one. While on my way to a location I wanted to check out, a large black woodpecker flew across my field of vision. My first thought was pileated. I had seen one an hour or so prior so the flight and body profile were still fresh in my mind.  However as it got closer it became apparent something wasn't right. The bird had far too much white by a very good bit. This remained obvious as the bird  flew past me and finally came to rest on a lonely nearly limbless oak across the road from where I was. Upon settling the large prominent white saddle bags were very visible. I racked my brain for other options but none fit. The species often mistaken for an ivory bill other than a pileated is a red headed but this bird was far to large with the wrong head shape to be a red headed woodpecker. Sadly no pictures were possible as there was no place to safely park my vehicle. You can be sure I will be back. Let the fun begin.

• ANTdrew and Antcatcherpro3 like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 2 2022 - 3:41 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow! That would truly be an amazing discovery.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 2 2022 - 3:48 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

I will be going back to the area as much as possible to try to grab a picture this time.

#4 Offline OiledOlives - Posted June 2 2022 - 4:59 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I highly doubt that it's an ivory. More likely than not, it's just a weird colored or a juvenile pileated.

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 3 2022 - 2:09 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Don't blame you for being skeptical, had it been someone making the post I would have felt the same. I would have classified myself as a hopeful skeptic. All those things you mentioned went thru my head as well when I saw the bird and after. Whatever the actual Id of this bird I hope some drunken hillbilly does not take it out with a potshot or two. I also believe USFW should not have delisted the bird since if nothing else that may well remove habitat protections.

Edited by gcsnelling, June 3 2022 - 2:40 PM.

#6 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted June 14 2022 - 5:07 PM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGoose Creek, South Carolina, USA

Red cockaded woodpecker possibly.  If you’ve seen one, you’re lucky.

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 14 2022 - 5:44 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Definitely not that species. My bird was far to large and the color pattern was not right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users