• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

DIY nestmate or alternative water source that doesn't mold?

hydration water drinking hydrating drink humidity nestmate water source homemade diy tar heel ants tha

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BlueNinja - Posted July 13 2021 - 5:55 PM

BlueNinja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'm printing and building my own nests and don't want to use cotton because of mold.
Has anybody built one or something similar? What is the mesh size? I have a roll of stainless 120 mesh screen but I think the holes may be too big to keep the water in? Any other mold-free drinking alternatives? 

Thank you!  :)   

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted July 13 2021 - 6:09 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I use these little bottles:

https://www.aliexpre....27424c4dhlI68V

(3ml)

and these sponges:

https://www.aliexpre...-014ccddec531-6

You need to change the water every 12 days or so, it's a small feeder but all my ants use it and it doesn't get moldy. Not even with Pogonomyrmex

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline BlueNinja - Posted July 13 2021 - 6:19 PM

BlueNinja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I actually have little bottles like that and PVA sponges.. I got them off amazon as "facial sponges" for makeup removal. They came compressed and dry and then expand when ran under water and are really soft. Does that sound like yours? (aside from the compressed part. namely the extreme softness)
I could use a test tube instead of the bottle since I designed a port specifically for the 16mm OD tubes I have a million of. 
PVA sponge it is! Thanks! 

I use these little bottles:

https://www.aliexpre....27424c4dhlI68V

(3ml)

and these sponges:

https://www.aliexpre...-014ccddec531-6

You need to change the water every 12 days or so, it's a small feeder but all my ants use it and it doesn't get moldy. Not even with Pogonomyrmex

#4 Offline UtahAnts - Posted July 13 2021 - 6:19 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Where is this cotton replacing mesh going exactly? Is the mesh on the floor of the nest, above a reservoir like a hybrid nest? If so, you don't need to necessarily hold the water back, rather let it evaporate into the nest to create humidity. 120 micron mesh should work fine for that.

Edited by AntsUtah, July 13 2021 - 6:27 PM.

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#5 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 13 2021 - 6:38 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Where is this cotton replacing mesh going exactly? Is the mesh on the floor of the nest, above a reservoir like a hybrid nest? If so, you don't need to necessarily hold the water back, rather let it evaporate into the nest to create humidity. 120 micron mesh should work fine for that.

Considering they titled it with "nestmate" in the title I would assume they want to make something similar. It is basically a tube with mesh melted on one end that gets filled with water and shoved into the side of the nest.

#6 Offline BlueNinja - Posted July 13 2021 - 8:35 PM

BlueNinja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I wish I could upload a picture here but one of my designs has a wall that'll have a sponge behind it and on one side there's a wall with holes in it that are covered with 200 mesh (stainless) but I don't think the ants will be able to drink through it without overfilling the sponge and risking flooding. I was thinking about trying window screen for larger openings but was curious about the nestmate idea because clearly it works. At a minimum the 200 mesh will provide humidity. 

#7 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted July 13 2021 - 8:35 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

Cut a little square of mesh, place it on a pan, turn the fire on, wait for it to heat up. Then take your vinyl tubing and press it into the mesh. After that, all you need is something to plug up the other side, I 3d printed a cone similar to THA's rubber stoppers, it works fine

Edited by SleepyAsianAnter, July 13 2021 - 8:36 PM.

• ANTdrew and futurebird like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydration, water, drinking, hydrating, drink, humidity, nestmate, water source, homemade, diy, tar heel ants, tha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users