• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Change.org Petition to the USDA

gel farms #wedontapprove

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DerkaDoesGaming - Posted July 7 2021 - 4:10 PM

DerkaDoesGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Hey guys! 

I am sure some or most of you guys know that The Colonialist has a Petition to ban Gel Farms from the UK.

Well I felt like I needed to do the same on our end.

So if you live in the United States or Know Someone who does. 

Have them go to this site  and Sign it!

If we get 100 it will be on the recommended section on Change.org.

Please guys lets get this done! 

Thanks again,

Formicast out.

Formicast Website! Check it out HERE

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 7 2021 - 4:18 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I don't believe gel farms should be banned. They provide young people with the insight needed to develop a serious interest in the world of ants. While the argument may have a few valid points, they aren't enough to get gel farms banned. In the end, they're just ants.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 7 2021 - 4:21 PM.

• Manitobant, NickAnter, cocdeshijie and 4 others like this

#3 Offline Arthroverts - Posted July 7 2021 - 4:39 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSoCal, San Bernardino

I am not sure if the USDA has the authority to ban gel farms; most of what they enforce is by Congressional ruling, no?

If you could get a much larger organization like PETA to get on board, then something might happen, though I fear PETA as an organization does not seem to care about things that do not evoke as much sympathy as small mammals.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• TennesseeAnts, smares, Swirlysnowflake and 2 others like this

My blog devoted to invertebrates of all shapes and sizes

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#4 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted July 7 2021 - 5:23 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I am not sure if the USDA has the authority to ban gel farms; most of what they enforce is by Congressional ruling, no?

If you could get a much larger organization like PETA to get on board, then something might happen, though I fear PETA as an organization does not seem to care about things that do not evoke as much sympathy as small mammals.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Signed, but like most if not all petitions on Change.org it'll go nowhere no matter how many sign. I hope Peta stays out of this though because they are only in it for money and kill many many more animals then they save.

• TennesseeAnts and Manitobant like this

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 7 2021 - 5:59 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Signed, but like most if not all petitions on Change.org it'll go nowhere no matter how many sign. I hope Peta stays out of this though because they are only in it for money and kill many many more animals then they save.
if peta gets in on this, our entire hobby is potentially in danger.
  • Skwiggledork, TennesseeAnts, NickAnter and 5 others like this

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 7 2021 - 6:01 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Thanks,

Arthroverts

peta would probably bash antkeeping as a whole, not just gel farms. I really hope they don’t get involved.

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 7 2021 - 6:04 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Luckily PETA can't actually do anything as far as I'm aware. I think we're safe.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 7 2021 - 6:16 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yes, things like this can prove detrimental. Consider it a slippery slope: give government an inch, and they'll take a mile.

We DON'T want this to happen to our hobby. Government loves controlling things, no matter how small, and this could just be another thing to add to that micro-managerial list of theirs.

EDIT: The above statements are a general thing: a small petition on gel farms isn't going to cause the issues listed above.

Edited by NickAnter, July 7 2021 - 7:01 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Manitobant and Antkeeper01 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 7 2021 - 6:31 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Seeing as regulating antkeeping doesn't involve financially backing arsonists or mentally scarring young children, I doubt PETA would have much interest. 

• TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#10 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 7 2021 - 6:33 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Yes, things like this can prove detrimental. Consider it a slippery slope: give government an inch, and they'll take a mile.

We DON'T want this to happen to our hobby. Government loves controlling things, no matter how small, and this could just be another thing to add to that micro-managerial list of theirs.

I highly doubt the government would have much interest and/or is out to get antkeepers. After all, P. occidentalis were federally deregulated, which is very beneficial to people interested in this hobby.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#11 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted July 7 2021 - 6:59 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California
It will never happen (Change.org petitions do absolutely nothing) and honestly shouldn’t considering how small of a problem it is and the risk of the ant keeping hobby being affected by it. If you want people to not use gel ant farms, tell them why they shouldn’t.
  • NickAnter, Spazmops and Antkeeper01 like this

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 7 2021 - 7:00 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well its not that the bureaucrats would be out to "get us" but they could very well, like I said, decide its something to regulate.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#13 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted July 7 2021 - 7:22 PM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I highly doubt the government would have much interest and/or is out to get antkeepers. After all, P. occidentalis were federally deregulated, which is very beneficial to people interested in this hobby.

I believe that Camponotus pennsylvanicus has been similarly deregulated recently, so I definitely don't think that the Government has any desire to overregulate the antkeeping hobby - if anything, they seem to be taking the path of rethinking their heavyhanded ban on transporting all ants across state lines, and trying to instead only target species that pose a threat of becoming invasive. Nevertheless, I think the idea that there should be a ban on gel ant farms is absurd. Unless you want parents to buy their children formicaria and learn detailed ant care just to house a couple dozen workers, or think that children should instead (try to) rear full colonies, then banning gel farms and similar toy ant habitats will end the mainstream exposure of keeping ants. I think that it is valuable that children can get to experience to some degree the beauty of an ant colony, both as part of a general natural education and because it starts many on the path to becoming antkeepers themselves. And this is all disregarding the fact that there is no change of getting this law passed, as the vast majority of people have no interest in the animal rights of insects - as it should be, because they are far less intelligent and complex than any mammal. Yes, a gel farm is not a suitable habitat for a colony, and eventually the handful of ants in it will die, but as TennesseeAnts said, they are just ants and the cost is well worth it.

• TennesseeAnts and Spazmops like this

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 7 2021 - 7:30 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Do you have a link to where it says C. pennsylvanicus has been deregulated? I can't find the original list of deregulated plant pests on their website anymore. 

#15 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted July 7 2021 - 7:41 PM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

On the front page of Tarheelants they have a slide saying that they can now ship Camponotus pennsylvanicus to most of the U.S., and a link to where they're selling (overpriced, in my opinion) colonies of the species. I've not done any further research, but I doubt that they would be willing to sell C. pennsylvanicus on their front page if it was being done illegally.

Currently Keeping:

#16 Offline UtahAnts - Posted July 7 2021 - 8:02 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

I believe THA obtained permits to sell all the listed species on it's site. The only federally deregulated species, which you don't need to a permit to ship, as of now is Pogonomyrmex occidentalis.

• TestSubjectOne likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#17 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted July 7 2021 - 8:14 PM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Ah, my bad then. That was how I learn of Pogonomymex occidentalis, so I assumed that this was a similar situation.

Currently Keeping:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users