• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Idontexist's solenopsis journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#101 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 5 2022 - 11:18 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Please
She is still alive

release her I can already see the outcome. Please succesfully raise a beginner species before you kill yet another queen

Edited by Antkeeper01, January 5 2022 - 11:20 AM.

• Kaelwizard, ANTdrew and azzaaazzzz00 like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#102 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted January 5 2022 - 11:38 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Please
She is still alive

release her I can already see the outcome. Please succesfully raise a beginner species before you kill yet another queen
That’s not very cool, be nice please. It’s his queen he caught it and he can do what he wants with it.
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#103 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 5 2022 - 3:19 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Please
She is still alive

It disappoints me to see a antkeeper that has some experience in the hobby to not say anything helpful but instead say things to a new antkeeper that could be very hurtful. Be nice. Most beginner ant keepers can't even keep camponotus modoc alive. Moral of the story, If you don't have something nice to say don't say it. You could at least be helpful ant help this guy out with info on how to keep the queen going. 

Edited by NicholasP, January 5 2022 - 3:22 PM.

• antsriondel likes this

#104 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 5 2022 - 3:20 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I'm sorry I'm going a little bit angry sort of tone Antkeeper01 to you but you should be nice and I hate it when people decide to say something rude instead of helping.

Edited by NicholasP, January 5 2022 - 3:21 PM.

#105 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 5 2022 - 3:45 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I'm sorry I'm going a little bit angry sort of tone Antkeeper01 to you but you should be nice and I hate it when people decide to say something rude instead of helping.

I agree

#106 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 5 2022 - 5:51 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

You want me to be rude? I will but heres some advice maybe remove some of the dirt from the test tube? but idk Ectatomma arent for beginners like me and Idontexist sooo. I'm just saying expect disappointment if she dies.

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#107 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 5 2022 - 5:57 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Please
She is still alive

It disappoints me to see a antkeeper that has some experience in the hobby to not say anything helpful but instead say things to a new antkeeper that could be very hurtful. Be nice. Most beginner ant keepers can't even keep camponotus modoc alive. Moral of the story, If you don't have something nice to say don't say it. You could at least be helpful ant help this guy out with info on how to keep the queen going. 

well the fact they have continued to fail keeping ants(even beginner ants) alive for more than a month concerns me and as far as I know Ectatomma aren't easy to raise

#108 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 5 2022 - 6:28 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Please
She is still alive

still. Ok she isn't dying

#109 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 5 2022 - 7:33 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

You want me to be rude? I will but heres some advice maybe remove some of the dirt from the test tube? but idk Ectatomma arent for beginners like me and Idontexist sooo. I'm just saying expect disappointment if she dies.

Ectatomma are fairly easy. I have friends who have kept them. as long as you give them just a little substrate for their pupa and feed them every other day they're fairly easy.

Please
She is still alive

When you have a chance pls send a pic of her. Also, has she laid eggs yet?

#110 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 6 2022 - 7:29 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

You want me to be rude? I will but heres some advice maybe remove some of the dirt from the test tube? but idk Ectatomma arent for beginners like me and Idontexist sooo. I'm just saying expect disappointment if she dies.

Ectatomma are fairly easy. I have friends who have kept them. as long as you give them just a little substrate for their pupa and feed them every other day they're fairly easy.

Please
She is still alive

When you have a chance pls send a pic of her. Also, has she laid eggs yet?
not yet

#111 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 6 2022 - 7:33 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
https://imgur.com/gallery/ScsDayP

#112 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 8 2022 - 9:26 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Guys i have news

I FOUND A DEALATE Trap Jaw QUEEN foraging! :) she is currently in a test tube with apple
  • PaigeX likes this

#113 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 8 2022 - 9:33 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Please
She is still alive

That’s not very cool, be nice please. It’s his queen he caught it and he can do what he wants with it.

It is a living creature, not a toy, and he has a track record of killing every queen that comes into contact with him, so I think it's fair to be a little frustrated. He also barely provides any info on the queen's situation, and has seemingly put very little effort into researching how to raise a queen.

Idontexist, my recommendation for you would be to research an easy to keep species, and if you can find it, try to be successful with that species before moving on to any others.

Edited by Kaelwizard, January 8 2022 - 9:33 AM.

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#114 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 8 2022 - 9:35 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Please
She is still alive

It is a living creature, not a toy, and he has a track record of killing every queen that comes into contact with him, so I think it's fair to be a little frustrated. He also barely provides any info on the queen's situation, and has seemingly put very little effort into researching how to raise a queen.

Idontexist, my recommendation for you would be to research an easy to keep species, and if you can find it, try to be successful with that species before moving on to any others.
geminata flies in may.

#115 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 8 2022 - 9:36 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Please
She is still alive

geminata flies in may.

If you are okay with waiting for them to fly, that species is probably a good one to try your hand at, as they grow quickly and are quite hardy (from what I know). The only thing to watch out for is that sting.

#116 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 8 2022 - 9:36 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Guys i have news

I FOUND A DEALATE Trap Jaw QUEEN foraging! :) she is currently in a test tube with apple

RIP

• ANTdrew and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#117 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 8 2022 - 11:23 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Guys i have news

RIP
what

#118 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 8 2022 - 12:04 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Idontexist I will keep trying to help you but it's really hard to help a lot without much information on how she's doing.

Edited by NicholasP, January 8 2022 - 12:04 PM.

#119 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 8 2022 - 1:57 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Apparently trapjaws pretty much run on termites, if you don't have termites you're probably better off releasing/selling her. Trapjaws are probably some of the hardest ants to keep there are. I'd say still keep the Ectatomma though.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#120 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 8 2022 - 3:04 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Apparently trapjaws pretty much run on termites, if you don't have termites you're probably better off releasing/selling her. Trapjaws are probably some of the hardest ants to keep there are. I'd say still keep the Ectatomma though.

Honestly I might try and get a permit and buy from him the Ectatomma if he doesn't want the Ectatomma. But chances of me getting permits before moving are slim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users