• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Idontexist's solenopsis journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#81 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 2:31 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

WOOOOOOOOOOOOT. I am shooketh to the core. To me that looks like a Polyergus Mexicanus queen which are slave making ants. I'll ask my anting buddies what they think of it.

#82 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 2:34 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

My friends got back to me and they say it is Ectatomma Tuberculatum. You are one lucky guy. I'll search up what they need to live and let you know what to do. For now keep her in that test tube.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#83 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 2:37 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

For now here's a link to Antwiki that has very reliable information on all ant species. You can read this so you get the basic knowledge of Ectatomma Tuberculatum meanwhile i'll go in and look deep into how to care for them to let you know.

#84 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 2:43 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

So here's the information I just gathered. They are semi Claustral which means that every other day or every few days you should feed them a type of sugar like a little piece of orange, apple, or hummingbird sugar water and some protein which could be crickets, fruit flys, or termites. Make sure any food you give them does not contain pesticides or fertilizer.

#85 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 2:46 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Now let's go into what they need to survive in that test tube for now. You will be needing to gather from sand or dirt from outside. Not a lot though just a little bit should go into the test tube so the queen's larvae can spin cocoons. If you have anymore questions let me know. I'm always here to help people out.

#86 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 3 2022 - 2:51 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

So here's the information I just gathered. They are semi Claustral which means that every other day or every few days you should feed them a type of sugar like a little piece of orange, apple, or hummingbird sugar water and some protein which could be crickets, fruit flys, or termites. Make sure any food you give them does not contain pesticides or fertilizer.

oh well i can do that

#87 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 2:53 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

If possible though post in the journal a picture of her test tube setup with her in it if you have the chance please so I can see if everything looks good for her.

Edited by NicholasP, January 3 2022 - 2:53 PM.

• ColAnt735 likes this

#88 Offline Shazza - Posted January 3 2022 - 3:23 PM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Put her in a dark place and resist the urge to check her all of the time

#89 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 3 2022 - 3:28 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Ectatomma are fairly closely related to Rhytidoponera, a species very common where I am. A few tips:
1. They sting and it hurts. Apparently it's like a pulsating kind of pain, never been stung before myself.

2. Substrate will help them. I know Rhytidoponera are very bad at climbing glass, if Ectatomma is the same she'll slip around in the test tube, substrate like sand or dirt will stop that.

3. The queen and workers themselves only needs sugars, the larvae are the only part of the colony that needs protein. However I do think protein helps the queen lay more eggs, it would be wise to still give her some.

And some general antkeeping tips if you're having trouble:
1. AntsCanada isn't always the most reliable source of information, especially in the newer videos. I'd recommend Ants Australia, The Ant Lab Australia, (excellent beginner tips) Ender Ants and Ants Scandinavia.

2. Keep everthing clean, take out any uneaten food or it will mould.

3. Protein, protein, protein. Helps the colony grow much faster. Nuts and seeds work for some species, most accept insects (kill them first), and egg whites are good too. Sugar is still important however, the workers need energy.

Good luck!

Edited by Leptomyrmx, January 3 2022 - 3:57 PM.

• NicholasP and Idontexist like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#90 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 3:38 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Ectatomma are fairly closely related to Rhytidoponera, a species very common where I am. A few tips:
1. They sting and it hurts. Apparently it's like a pulsating kind of pain, never been stung before myself.

2. Substrate will help them. I know Rhytidoponera are very bad at climbing glass, if Ectatomma is the same she'll slip around in the test tube, substrate like sand or dirt will stop that.

3. The queen and workers themselves only needs sugars, the larvae are the only part of the colony that needs protein. However I do think protein helps the queen lay more eggs, it would be wise to still give her some.

1. AntsCanada isn't always the most reliable source of information, especially in the newer videos. I'd recommend Ants Australia, The Ant Lab Australia, (excellent beginner tips) Ender Ants and Ants Scandinavia.

3. Protein, protein, protein. Helps the colony grow much faster. Nuts and seeds work for some species, most accept insects (kill them first), and egg whites are good too.

Good luck!

Not just Protein they also need sugars since they're semi claustral. And I recommended Ants Canada tutorials because they're the old videos.

#91 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 3:39 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Put her in a dark place and resist the urge to check her all of the time

Please take a picture of her test tube setup. It's ok to check up on her. Just don't be doing it every minute. Like once a day is fine.

#92 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 3 2022 - 3:56 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

3. Protein, protein, protein. Helps the colony grow much faster. Nuts and seeds work for some species, most accept insects (kill them first), and egg whites are good too.

Good luck!

Not just Protein they also need sugars since they're semi claustral. And I recommended Ants Canada tutorials because they're the old videos.

Sorry, I phrased that wrong, I'll edit it.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#93 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 3 2022 - 5:04 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I have given her a grape slice. Her test tube has been burried into the soil.

#94 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 3 2022 - 5:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sugar water would be much safer to avoid pesticides. Most commercial grapes are coated in pesticides.
  • Antkeeper01 and NicholasP like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#95 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:35 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

WAIT WHAT!? Burried!? Send pic pls.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#96 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:38 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Please post a pic on imgur of her setup and post the link here.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#97 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 4 2022 - 8:38 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

WAIT WHAT!? Burried!? Send pic pls.
Just the entrance was visible. Btw i unburied her and is still alive.
I saw some termited outside might go

#98 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 4 2022 - 9:21 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Humidity level

#99 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 5 2022 - 7:36 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Please
She is still alive

#100 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 5 2022 - 9:12 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

What do you need help with? Tell me what you need help with and I can help.

• Ecan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users