• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Etsy Illegal Sellers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 8 2021 - 4:28 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Honestly this just sounds like Drew wants to take out another Ant seller because they are stealing “his business”.
This is actually a very disgusting way to try to take out the competition.
No I won’t help you snitch on another seller.

i think he literally just made an account to post this. Heck, I'm not pro native in the slightest and literally have a messor colony (don't attack me pls) and I agree with everything antdrew says. If you’re gonna sell illegal ants, which I don’t recommend, at least do it privately and not on a huge website where you will flood out the legit native sellers.

Does the permit allow you to get European species? I mean, even if it does, the buyer would need one too so it is still illegal, but it would be nice to know if the seller is also acquiring them illegally. Also, that guy/girl got off immediately after posting that so I think he/she did just make the account to do that. I literally wouldn't be surprised if he/she is one of the sellers this thread is about.

Edited by Kaelwizard, February 8 2021 - 5:14 AM.

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#42 Offline Scherme - Posted February 8 2021 - 11:13 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

Honestly this just sounds like Drew wants to take out another Ant seller because they are stealing “his business”.

This is OBVIOUSLY  an ANTdrew multi who was created to increase support for ANTdrew by giving us all a common enemy. Nice try bud.

Just kidding. Look at all the nice things everyone has to say about you.

Anyway, you got links or usernames for these sellers? is that allowed here?

I wonder if these are ACTUALLY European species being sold. I also wonder how informed the buyers are. Do you think a majority of them know and don't care or are just ignorant?

• TennesseeAnts and Devi like this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#43 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 8 2021 - 11:53 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

This is OBVIOUSLY  an ANTdrew multi who was created to increase support for ANTdrew by giving us all a common enemy. Nice try bud.

Just kidding. Look at all the nice things everyone has to say about you.

Anyway, you got links or usernames for these sellers? is that allowed here?

I wonder if these are ACTUALLY European species being sold. I also wonder how informed the buyers are. Do you think a majority of them know and don't care or are just ignorant?

ignorant, or they are actually not knowledgeable. as I have said before, there are people on reddit who buy from random websites, and ask or information after, meaning that these people don't care, and just want to keep ants for looks.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#44 Offline Tyr_Ants - Posted February 8 2021 - 12:04 PM

Tyr_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa California

The saddest listing I saw (well saddest for me) was someone on ebay selling Pheidole megacephala. Located in orange county california...so they know where the invasive Pheidole are and decided to sell them. This was last year I think? I remember I commented on it, but maybe it was in chat or on discord I forgot. But made me worried at the time they figured out by my anting thread where they are located, since I haven't really made my actual location that private (they could find it if they were that zealous about it through geographical details in my anting section of the pheidole vs argentine ant war and if they searched the apartment company up and my username. I'm probably not that hard to find)

They were also selling them for over 200 USD which was crazy. Lots of queens but don't remember how many they said. But I remember their sells pitch was selling them as a "supercolony variety of native pheidole megacephala". Even though there are no native pheidole megacephala and no supercolony native Pheidole.

Bruh I live in Orange County wtf I never knew there were illegal sellers selling magas in my area I am very surprised 😱

Edited by Tyr_Ants, February 8 2021 - 2:01 PM.

Ant Shop: (restocking soon) https://www.formicul...op/#entry195574  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  B)  B)  B)

#45 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 9 2021 - 6:11 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

From what i'm seeing this has to be quite new, as a month ago I was looking at bamboo test tubes a lot but did not see these. I don't support selling illegal species into a place where they have a good chance to found, but I can see someone keeping an exotic species in a state where if it got out it could not survive at all. The camponotus vicinus on the other hand as well as messor can have a good chance to found in a lot of places there being sold.

We don’t talk about that

#46 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2021 - 1:34 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I agree.

If you want to sell, sell.

Don't let someone talk you out of it !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users