• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

looking for L. Humile in CA

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:16 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Linepithema do have flights :lol:  And why does that matter to you? If I remember every single ant has nuptials.

I thought that the alates don’t fly, the males just stay in the nest and mate with the female alates...

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, July 30 2020 - 2:18 PM.

My YouTube channel :)

#22 Offline Broncos - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:17 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

Honestly idek why I want them. I’ve tried flipping rocks, to no avail. If anyone really could ship me a colony I would pay shipping and some for the colony (but not too much)

They are invasive, kill native ants, and frankly annoying and boring. Not judging, but their are soooo many cooler ants in CA.

Yep, I know, but you can combine wild ants with the colony and I would like to keep a huge supercolony of them
And then they will escape and murder any ant or easy prey they can find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#23 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:19 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Honestly idek why I want them. I’ve tried flipping rocks, to no avail. If anyone really could ship me a colony I would pay shipping and some for the colony (but not too much)

They are invasive, kill native ants, and frankly annoying and boring. Not judging, but their are soooo many cooler ants in CA.

Yep, I know, but you can combine wild ants with the colony and I would like to keep a huge supercolony of them

I mean, they won’t always escape. Ant Invasion or AntsAustralia keeps them (or some other big youtube ant keeper) 

#24 Offline Broncos - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:22 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

I mean, they won’t always escape. Ant Invasion or AntsAustralia keeps them (or some other big youtube ant keeper)
Ants Australia kept them in a secure custom nest where it is nearly impossible to escape. There wasn’t any attachment. Just keep dorymyrmex or tetromorium. No one likes Argentine ants because they have such a large negative effect on the environment. And they will escape.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:22 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

That would be extremely hard to manage. Even if they don't escape, which is unlikely, with dozens of queens they will grow into the tens and hundreds of thousands. I don't think you realize how much food and space a colony like that requires. 

Edited by AntsDakota, July 30 2020 - 2:24 PM.

• Broncos and Dry_Twig like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#26 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:28 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

That would be extremely hard to manage. Even if they don't escape, which is unlikely, with dozens of queens they will grow into the tens and hundreds of thousands. I don't think you realize how much food and space a colony like that requires. 

I wouldn’t really add queens to the colony, just whatever workers I can find around. I also would be feeding off some of the ants to my blind snake, because I don’t like feeding ants from outside where they could be toxic in some way, or any of my colonies (prenolepis imparis and tetramorium). 

#27 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:44 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Did you see that on Aus Ants? 

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#28 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 3:01 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Did you see that on Aus Ants? 

I'm guessing so. If you just want a huge colony of ants, I guess argies would be the ideal candidate. Just keep them secure.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#29 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted July 30 2020 - 3:05 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

After a while, won't they stop accepting new workers/queens since they've been developing a separate colony smell? Or are argentines not like that?

Edited by Dry_Twig, July 30 2020 - 3:06 PM.

My ants: One small(0 worker) Solenopsis xyloni colony- Queen Colony died  :*( 

Link: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/14139-dry-twigs-solenopsis-sp-journal/

Spoiler

#30 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 30 2020 - 3:19 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

After a while, won't they stop accepting new workers/queens since they've been developing a separate colony smell? Or are argentines not like that?

All invasive Argentines have similar genetics, and therefore naturally produce similar pheromones, so they can't really 'develop' different pheromones.

• TennesseeAnts, zantezaint and Dry_Twig like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#31 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:21 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I don't think argentines could escape a tar heel ants nest. Even my tapinoma melanocephalum had a hard time with one of those.

#32 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:31 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
If anyone finds a colony of these I'll pay around 15 bucks for a queen and some workers. I'll also pay up to 10 dollars for shipping. I think that is the best offer you'll get, barely anyone wants Argentine ants lol

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, July 30 2020 - 4:32 PM.

#33 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:49 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If anyone finds a colony of these I'll pay around 15 bucks for a queen and some workers. I'll also pay up to 10 dollars for shipping. I think that is the best offer you'll get, barely anyone wants Argentine ants lol

that's probably the most anyone has ever offered for L. humile :lol:

Edited by ponerinecat, July 30 2020 - 4:50 PM.

• AntsDakota, TechAnt and pimplebutt007 like this

#34 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:51 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

All invasive Argentines have similar genetics, and therefore naturally produce similar pheromones, so they can't really 'develop' different pheromones.

Fun fact, not all invasive pops have the same genetics. There are odd groups that pop up here and there, and populations descended from different founding colonies will fight. We had 2 colonies of argentines fight in one particular spot every year at my school.

• AntsDakota likes this

#35 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:52 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Anybody who is selling them would think they are getting 1 million more then they are actually worth.

• AntsDakota likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#36 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:52 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I thought humile was everywhere in CA? Aren't there any just around you?

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#37 Offline Broncos - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:53 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
I personally don’t think anyone should sell or buy these. It’s a bad idea in every way. It doesn’t matter if they have nuptial flights or not. They aren’t going to fly in a formicarium unless you put them outside

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#38 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:53 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I thought humile was everywhere in CA? Aren't there any just around you?

Well, there are areas without them. It's just hard to find those spots. There also may be habitats that argentines tend to avoid.

• Broncos likes this

#39 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:55 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I personally don’t think anyone should sell or buy these. It’s a bad idea in every way. It doesn’t matter if they have nuptial flights or not. They aren’t going to fly in a formicarium unless you put them outside

If they want argentines and can contain them, there's really nothing wrong with the idea. 

#40 Offline Broncos - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:55 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
They avoid dry areas. That’s the only spot Pogonomyrmex can catch a break... along with many other ant species

• TechAnt likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users