• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

looking for L. Humile in CA

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 30 2020 - 5:03 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Well if there are no argentines in your area then I suggest you keep it that way, honestly I would not even take the risk of them being able to escape.

• AntsDakota and TestSubjectOne like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#42 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 30 2020 - 5:09 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Well if there are no argentines in your area then I suggest you keep it that way, honestly I would not even take the risk of them being able to escape.

I have seen the ants in my area, I just can't find their nest. Either they are underground in a park, or I just can't trace the ant back to it's nest

My YouTube channel :)

#43 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 30 2020 - 5:11 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I have seen the ants in my area, I just can't find their nest. Either they are underground in a park, or I just can't trace the ant back to it's nest

Maybe if you put a rock down some might come and nest under it? or get some honey and leave it on one of their trails, maybe a queen might come.

#44 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 30 2020 - 5:14 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Maybe if you put a rock down some might come and nest under it? or get some honey and leave it on one of their trails, maybe a queen might come.
I don't think the queen leaves the nest at all? Idk

#45 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 30 2020 - 5:16 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

If they're anything like the invasive Nylanderia flavipes here I don't think they will care much. I actually found 3 queens just wandering around with some workers.

Edited by DDD101DDD, July 30 2020 - 5:16 PM.

#46 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 30 2020 - 5:18 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

If they're anything like the invasive Nylanderia flavipes here I don't think they will care much. I actually found 3 queens just wandering around with some workers.
I'll try it :P

#47 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 30 2020 - 5:27 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

But if you pay me 20 bucks I can go outside with a shovel

Rlly? O.o

#48 Offline Broncos - Posted July 30 2020 - 9:39 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

Rlly? O.o
Why Argentine ants tho? But when you find a nest you just dump water on it and the entire colony will rush up with brood workers and queens

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#49 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 31 2020 - 8:38 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Rlly? O.o
Why Argentine ants tho? But when you find a nest you just dump water on it and the entire colony will rush up with brood workers and queens
The thing is I can’t find any nests. I see workers all the time tho. I need them to feed my blind snake lol
[/quote]Why Argentine ants tho? But when you find a nest you just dump water on it and the entire colony will rush up with brood workers and queens[/quote]The thing is I can’t find any nests. I see workers all the time tho. I need them to feed my blind snake lol

#50 Offline JenC - Posted July 31 2020 - 1:41 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
Check your dms
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#51 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 31 2020 - 1:41 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Get a planter full of nice dirt and a plant. Water daily. You'll probably have argentines making a satellite nest in it. They tried that in my living room once.

But if you have them inside and a few escape and make it outside, you could easily have 26234111341 argentine friends coming back inside, since their trail making is pretty indiscriminate. You really don't want them anywhere near your normal ant colonies.

I found a dead argentine in an unused THA formicarium that I'd left on the floor. I have no idea how it even got in.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#52 Offline Hayashi - Posted July 31 2020 - 2:15 PM

Hayashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVista, California
I had a small Forelius pruinosus colony with about 10 workers in a tube and tub set up. Argentines got in a carried the queen and all her bebes away.

#53 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 31 2020 - 2:19 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
*sigh* So no one has any argentines?

#54 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 31 2020 - 2:46 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Did you try following the trails back to the nest?

#55 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 31 2020 - 2:59 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

If you can't find nests, then the invasion isn't complete, and could get worse. If a colony escaped you'd make it worse. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#56 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 31 2020 - 3:23 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

If you can't find nests, then the invasion isn't complete, and could get worse. If a colony escaped you'd make it worse. 

I often find nest entrances that lead underground, but I can’t start digging up Central Park in search of ants  :lol:

#57 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 31 2020 - 3:40 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Just go to somewhere that snows. You won't really find any argentines there.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#58 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 31 2020 - 3:57 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

The males absolutely do fly, I have seen them in the thousands at lights. And yes the queens frequently will leave the nest sometimes to forage with the workers but more often when the colony relocates.

Edited by gcsnelling, July 31 2020 - 4:02 PM.

#59 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 31 2020 - 4:44 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The males absolutely do fly, I have seen them in the thousands at lights. And yes the queens frequently will leave the nest sometimes to forage with the workers but more often when the colony relocates.

Didn't know the queens forage. Makes sense, though.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#60 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 31 2020 - 5:31 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I've seen queens out and about eating honey and dog food. They're highly nomadic, I've seen them nest in all sorts of things, like pvc pipes, under cardboard, in gravel, etc.

• AntsDakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users