• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A noob with a massive colony of Myrmecia Nigrocincta...

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 23 2020 - 5:59 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

So I recently caught a full colony of Myrmecia Nigrocincta (complete with a queen, 50+ workers and eggs), in my backyard. And as you guys know from my last post I am but a noob. So does anyone have any idea on how to keep them? Any suggestions at all will be appreciated on anything. My main concern is my ants haven't been eating much and their workers have been dying off at a rate on 1 worker every 2 days. Thanks in advance! 

Here are some of my videos on them:

And in case any of you were wondering, yes their outworld is a bit too small. I have a larger outworld already on it's way.

• Skwiggledork likes this

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 23 2020 - 6:37 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Um.. if you are a noob I don’t understand why you would take a wild colony of such a difficult to keep species. Myrmecia in general are notoriously hard to raise.

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 23 2020 - 6:46 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Um.. if you are a noob I don’t understand why you would take a wild colony of such a difficult to keep species. Myrmecia in general are notoriously hard to raise.

Well, they're actually very simple. Founding colonies are the hard part, this is not one of them. What I don't get is digging out a mature colony of Myrmecia. Everything about that screams unethical and impractical.

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, Ants_Dakota and 3 others like this

#4 Offline Froggy - Posted July 23 2020 - 6:50 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

Well, they're actually very simple. Founding colonies are the hard part, this is not one of them. What I don't get is digging out a mature colony of Myrmecia. Everything about that screams unethical and impractical.

Digging out any mature colony for that matter

• ANTdrew likes this

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 23 2020 - 6:59 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Digging out any mature colony for that matter

Arguable, some ants can't really be raised otherwise, and if you're tediously careful with collection and rehabilitation it can be fine, but yeah Myrmecia likely have a lot of workers out foraging, large nests so its easy to miss parts of it, and they're rather sensitive ants.

• Froggy likes this

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 23 2020 - 8:26 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Id give them an aus ants ytong nest.

#7 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 23 2020 - 8:32 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I agree, but making mistakes is a part of the hobby. Live and learn, right?

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#8 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 23 2020 - 8:36 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Not exactly. Taking a colony away from its natural habitat, and then not knowing how to care for them, then possibly killing them all so even if you wanted to return them back to their native ecosystem. Which said ecosystem they were keeping stable, they may not be as big as they used to or they may be dead.

(To the keeper) I’d suggest you release them back to where you dug them up, if you really have no idea how to care for them.

Also, I strongly have a suspicion that some of the workers and/or Queen May die of stress. As stated above, they are highly sensitive gentle giants. Please read up on how to care for them if you really want to keep them. I’d hate to see a colony of these precious ants die or something.

Edited by TechAnt, July 23 2020 - 8:38 PM.

• Spazmops and Miketheawesome like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#9 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 23 2020 - 8:42 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado
Oh dang, I kinda skimmed the genus of ant, sorry about that. For some reason I was thinking of myrmecia as Argentine ants. Yeah that’s not a ‘live and learn’ scenario, that’s a ‘put those awesome ants back right now’ scenario. Don’t listen to my previous advice, it was terrible, please return those ants as best you can.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 23 2020 - 8:43 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Aus flights are starting up soon, it'd be best in my opinion to catch some Myrmecia queens then and raise them in captive conditions they know how to deal with, as opposed to suddenly forcing a wild colony with many years under their belt into a restricted environment with very different resources than they're used to.

#11 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 23 2020 - 9:16 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

It is never a good idea to get any type of pet without doing your research on it beforehand.  Digging up a whole colony is even worse without any research.

If you left them there, there is a better chance to get queens in the long run from mature colonies.

With that aside, if you insist on keeping them, go with an Aus Ants formicarium.  Bull ants seem to do very well in those.

• TennesseeAnts, MinigunL5 and DaAnt like this

#12 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 23 2020 - 9:33 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

It is never a good idea to get any type of pet without doing your research on it beforehand.  Digging up a whole colony is even worse without any research.

If you left them there, there is a better chance to get queens in the long run from mature colonies.

With that aside, if you insist on keeping them, go with an Aus Ants formicarium.  Bull ants seem to do very well in those.

Ok, so I actually came across this colony by accident. I was bushwaking at the time (looking for Linepithema) when I flipped this rock and accidentally found the whole colony. I have some experience with Linepithema, Crematogaster, Iridomyrmex and Pheidole.

#13 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 23 2020 - 9:37 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

And I did a lot of research, which included scrolling through forum articles for hours on end. I resorted to asking for advice after I couldn't find any good advice. Thing is, I really don't want to get rid of this colony...

#14 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 23 2020 - 9:38 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I bought them a massive outworld and good food, and they now seem ok. I am feeding them Rhino Beetle jelly and procarb powder with sunburst ant nectar. I already spent over $1000 aud on them...

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#15 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 23 2020 - 9:44 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Id give them an aus ants ytong nest.

Thanks for the advice. I bought a Tar Heel Ants custom designed Traditions nest that will be coming in a few months. 

And no I did a ton of research (after I caught them) and I didn't dig them up on purpose. I was not expecting the catch and at the time I thought that, with the queen exposed, the colony would do better with me than try to rebuild their nest, especially in a place full of spiders, centipedes, birds, and other predators. Thanks for the advice by the way.

#16 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 23 2020 - 9:49 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Not exactly. Taking a colony away from its natural habitat, and then not knowing how to care for them, then possibly killing them all so even if you wanted to return them back to their native ecosystem. Which said ecosystem they were keeping stable, they may not be as big as they used to or they may be dead.

(To the keeper) I’d suggest you release them back to where you dug them up, if you really have no idea how to care for them.

Also, I strongly have a suspicion that some of the workers and/or Queen May die of stress. As stated above, they are highly sensitive gentle giants. Please read up on how to care for them if you really want to keep them. I’d hate to see a colony of these precious ants die or something.

Thanks for the advice mate. I don't want them to die either. That was the reason why I spent all my free time the past few days non stop searching about how to care for them. I can't release them back where I found them as that was a few centimeters away from a bush trail. If I did then the formicarium would either get stolen before they moved out or the ants would get run over by bikes and humans before they get the chance to dig. I think releasing them would not really be a good choice, especially on a trail where lots of curious little kids go. 

#17 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 23 2020 - 9:51 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

By the way, my backyard is a bush  :)

#18 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 23 2020 - 10:44 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

the colony would do better with me than try to rebuild their nest, especially in a place full of spiders, centipedes, birds, and other predators.

The colony would have been fine on their own.  I've moved rocks with whole colonies before and you just put the rock back down and they'll rebuild shortly after.  

Also, if you were to release them, dumping them would be fine, you don't have to leave a formicarium the whole time for them to move on their own.

Anyways, I've never seen people keep bull ants in a THA nest, so it will be interesting to see how they'll take to it.

#19 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:09 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Thanks mate. So I guess I'll keep them. The problem turned out to be that the outworld was too small, and now that I upgraded their outworld it seems like they are doing fine. I have all the equipment and facts (after reading this article:http://australian-an...depth of 15 cm.), so I guess I'm up for the challenge. 

#20 Offline Ants.co - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:44 PM

Ants.co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

And just to clarify, I mean noob as in noob with bull ants. I am an experienced keeper of other ants, but I just never received enough birthday money to keep them. I recently got a massive boom in business, and so I could take a dive into professional keeping. I currently keep Pheidole, Iridomyrmex (Bicknelli and Purpureus), Aphaenogaster, Linepithema, Camponotus (3 different colonies), Rhytidoponera and more.

• TennesseeAnts and TechAnt like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users