• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#61 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:16 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Honestly, he should care if he imports Atta, because it might not be able to survive in Washington, but someone could be a real creepo, ping his IP address and tell the local authorities...It's not likely, but a risk, and a risk I personally wouldn't take...He could get arrested, but he doesn't seem to care so why should I help him. He made the decision to not care about some laws so why should I care about him?
Edit: I could continue with how the authorities could find you with your IP address and etc. but I'm going to give you one warning, and this was it. I and I don't think anyone else wants to help you. Congrats, and I may sound like I'm overreacting, but I'm not, just being a realist before you yell at me

While although most likely true, apparently there was a British keeper that released an Acromyrmex colony in his backyard one year after he decided he didn't want them, thinking they'd die. They survived the winter in his walls and the following summer proceeded to cut the neighbor's plants. The colony was discovered when the neighbors complained about "large ants" de-leafing entire plants. The authorities destroyed the colony soon after.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, May 8 2020 - 12:55 PM.

• gcsnelling, Broncos and AntsDakota like this

#62 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:18 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Talk about irresponsible.........

• TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#63 Offline Mdrogun - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:47 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Honestly, he should care if he imports Atta, because it might not be able to survive in Washington, but someone could be a real creepo, ping his IP address and tell the local authorities...It's not likely, but a risk, and a risk I personally wouldn't take...He could get arrested, but he doesn't seem to care so why should I help him. He made the decision to not care about some laws so why should I care about him? 
Edit: I could continue with how the authorities could find you with your IP address and etc. but I'm going to give you one warning, and this was it. I and I don't think anyone else wants to help you. Congrats, and I may sound like I'm overreacting, but I'm not, just being a realist before you yell at me

there was a British keeper that released an Acromyrmex colony in his backyard one year after he decided he didn't want them, thinking they'd die. They survived the winter in his walls and the following summer proceeded to cut the neighbor's plants. The colony was discovered when the neighbors complained about "large ants" de-leafing entire plants. The authorities destroyed the colony soon after.

This cannot be true. The fungus cannot go that long without food, unless he was providing them with food himself. 

• AnthonyP163, CheetoLord02 and AntsDakota like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#64 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:48 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Maybe he was.........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#65 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 8 2020 - 12:48 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Either way it's a horrible situation, not having a permit usually goes hand in hand with not having the ability to raise the ants also, since you'd expect an expert to have a permit....

• AntsDakota likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#66 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 8 2020 - 2:14 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

not having a permit usually goes hand in hand with not having the ability to raise the ants also, 

Where is your proof of this? I cannot imagine people with illegal ants are very eager to show you their inability to keep the ants which they obtain. I know keepers who imported ants illegally and keep them exactly how they would if they had a permit. 

Honestly, he should care if he imports Atta, because it might not be able to survive in Washington, but someone could be a real creepo, ping his IP address and tell the local authorities...It's not likely, but a risk, and a risk I personally wouldn't take...He could get arrested, but he doesn't seem to care so why should I help him. He made the decision to not care about some laws so why should I care about him?

While although most likely true, apparently there was a British keeper that released an Acromyrmex colony in his backyard one year after he decided he didn't want them, thinking they'd die. They survived the winter in his walls and the following summer proceeded to cut the neighbor's plants. The colony was discovered when the neighbors complained about "large ants" de-leafing entire plants. The authorities destroyed the colony soon after.

This sounds like a very convenient story. As Mdrogun mentioned, the fungus could not survive. 

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#67 Offline Cotton - Posted May 8 2020 - 2:20 PM

Cotton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

this is a [censored] show

this is a [censored] show

• BugFinder likes this

#68 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 8 2020 - 7:28 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

You shouldn't buy ants illegally just because you want them. I'm pretty sure everyone here wants some ants that don't live in their area but want to get them.

Why should someone else's opinions have any bearing on the choices a person decides to make?  Especially the opinions of strangers?

The opinion of the law does, though.

There is no such thing as "the opinion of the law".   There are laws, and if you are the police, then I can understand why you'd take such an interest in what he is doing.   If you're not the police, then it's really weird if you think getting upset at a stranger for having an exotic ant (as if it's any of your business to begin with) will, or should, have any impact on that stranger or their behavior.

• Mdrogun, AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#69 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 9 2020 - 2:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Time to take this thread off the respirator- life support. Let it die please.
  • Mdrogun, Canadant, VenomousBeast and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#70 Offline SuperFrank - Posted May 9 2020 - 3:30 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Why isn't he banned

#71 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 9 2020 - 4:23 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

You shouldn't buy ants illegally just because you want them. I'm pretty sure everyone here wants some ants that don't live in their area but want to get them.

Why should someone else's opinions have any bearing on the choices a person decides to make?  Especially the opinions of strangers?

The opinion of the law does, though.

There is no such thing as "the opinion of the law".   There are laws, and if you are the police, then I can understand why you'd take such an interest in what he is doing.   If you're not the police, then it's really weird if you think getting upset at a stranger for having an exotic ant (as if it's any of your business to begin with) will, or should, have any impact on that stranger or their behavior.

Sorry, I was just trying to be clever. But the problem with violating laws is that if one person does it and gets away with it, it might snowball. Luckily this guy just illegally imported Atta, but someone else might import Solenopsis. You can't break a law you don't want to follow it, it is there for a reason.

• BugFinder likes this

#72 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 9 2020 - 7:38 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Why isn't he banned

Who? There is no one who posted here who hasn't contributed a lot to this forum. Banning them because of one incident is completely beyond reason.

• BugFinder, Mdrogun, AnthonyP163 and 2 others like this

#73 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 9 2020 - 12:13 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Who were they talking to?

#74 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted May 9 2020 - 2:02 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

We should just derail it.

Everyone post what ants they would get if legality wasn't an issue.

I'll start. Any Myrmecia sp., but the red and black ones are really pretty, like M.brevinoda.

#75 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 9 2020 - 2:15 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I'd get Polyrhachis or something.

• Skwiggledork likes this

#76 Offline SuperFrank - Posted May 9 2020 - 2:32 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Banning someone for admitting to illegally receiving and possessing an extremely damaging agricultural pest species is not beyond reason. Leaf cutting Attines collectively cost the agricultural industry millions every year. Atta/Acromyrmex are precisely the type of organisms the federal and state governments do not want being moved around without explicit permission.

Edited by SuperFrank, May 9 2020 - 2:39 PM.

#77 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 9 2020 - 2:54 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Banning someone for admitting to illegally receiving and possessing an extremely damaging agricultural pest species is not beyond reason. Leaf cutting Attines collectively cost the agricultural industry millions every year. Atta/Acromyrmex are precisely the type of organisms the federal and state governments do not want being moved around without explicit permission.

This is not Discord, you shouldn't ban everyone who disagrees. Leaf cutting attines of the United States are mostly all in the southwestern US, him importing one into Washington does not have a chance of doing any real damage. I am not saying what he did is good, but the idea of banning everyone because of how they choose to keep ants or what they keep is absurd, and does NOT help. 

Edited by AnthonyP163, May 9 2020 - 2:54 PM.

• BugFinder, Mdrogun, TennesseeAnts and 2 others like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#78 Offline Otter - Posted May 9 2020 - 3:09 PM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston

I agree with this, especially as we are just going into summer, but Atta texana simply can't survive much further north than Texas. If they could, they would already be there as they have had thousands of years to spread. I have heard the story about the guy in England with the Acromyrmex that survived winter parroted many times but it is physically impossible for Acromyrmex or their fungus to survive an English winter. Unless the guy was housing them and feeding them, inside his house, its impossible. What I think actually happened was the colony got large enough to the point where they could escape and forage outside, and they did this for 2 years before someone actually noticed although I have never seen sources for any of the claims. The same goes for Atta texana and the WA winter. I'm not saying that transporting Atta without a permit is okay, I am simply saying that the agricultural worries are null. Permits are very easy to get and don't multiple months as some people think, the only requirement is that you are 18+. 

• VenomousBeast likes this

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#79 Offline Tfisupe - Posted May 12 2020 - 5:17 PM

Tfisupe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Man I didn't expect all of this...they are dieing anyway people...lol
  • BugFinder and jushi like this

#80 Offline Serafine - Posted May 12 2020 - 5:46 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

"They can't survive winter."

Ah yes, that's exactly what people thought when they first saw these guys in Scotland:

Turns out they are perfectly capable of surviving the damp cold scottish weather, winter included.

Animals from warmer climate zone always aren't capable of surviving winter until they suddenly can.

Edited by Serafine, May 12 2020 - 5:47 PM.

• gcsnelling, Canadant, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users