• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 9:08 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've also found Pogonomyrmex very easy to keep. In my opinion, it's much easier to throw in a bunch of seeds into their outworld than having to bother with liquids constantly. They also don't need as many insects as other ants. They're also large, fast, and fun to watch.

• BugFinder, Broncos and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#42 Offline Tfisupe - Posted May 7 2020 - 10:11 AM

Tfisupe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I wanted to keep them because I WANTED TO KEEP THEM....I imported them...because I WANTED TO KEEP THEM...lol...I have the proper equipment...and there is 0 chance they could ever survive here....thanx tho guys....I'll jus get more
  • BugFinder, AnthonyP163 and jushi like this

#43 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 7 2020 - 11:17 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I wanted to keep them because I WANTED TO KEEP THEM....I imported them...because I WANTED TO KEEP THEM...lol...I have the proper equipment...and there is 0 chance they could ever survive here....thanx tho guys....I'll jus get more

please don't get more, it's illegal. Just get Camponotus or Tetramorium.

• AntsDakota and AntsExodus like this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#44 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 7 2020 - 11:21 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Obviously not, since their fungus died.

• Skwiggledork, AntsDakota and AntsExodus like this

#45 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 11:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

please don't get more, it's illegal. Just get Camponotus or Tetramorium.
Or Pogonomyrmex.........
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#46 Offline Tfisupe - Posted May 7 2020 - 11:28 AM

Tfisupe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Or formica...or lasius...or myrmica....and yes I did my research but it failed...o well. I do want some Pogonomyrmex tho.
  • BugFinder, Broncos, Temperateants and 1 other like this

#47 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 7 2020 - 12:23 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Or formica...or lasius...or myrmica....and yes I did my research but it failed...o well. I do want some Pogonomyrmex tho.

Best bet would be lasius, Camponotus or tetramoirum

#48 Offline Tfisupe - Posted May 7 2020 - 12:36 PM

Tfisupe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Lol I'm not a beginner...lol...I have 7 colonies going right now from last year....
  • TennesseeAnts and jushi like this

#49 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 7 2020 - 5:53 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

You shouldn't buy ants illegally just because you want them. I'm pretty sure everyone here wants some ants that don't live in their area but want to get them.

• Skwiggledork, Broncos, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#50 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 6:22 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

You shouldn't buy ants illegally just because you want them. I'm pretty sure everyone here wants some ants that don't live in their area but want to get them.

I agree completely. You can import ants legally, though: https://www.aphis.us...nd-soil-permits
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#51 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 7 2020 - 6:47 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Why should someone else's opinions have any bearing on the choices a person decides to make?  Especially the opinions of strangers?

• AnthonyP163 likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#52 Offline Mdrogun - Posted May 7 2020 - 6:57 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I'm lmfao at all the people raging over this and screaming about the environment. I really hope that you guys have been meticulously checking every bit of organic material you've purchased for ant colonies. Since those, unlike Atta, have the possibility of being able to survive in a place like Washington. Shouting at someone about how they're risking their "environment's" health is not going to stop someone from importing ants illegally or legally, and most importantly, just turns a potentially meaningful conversation into an argument.

'Atta Garret' on Facebook keeps quite a few colonies of Atta texana. Here is a link: https://www.facebook.com/atta.garrett If you wanted to order fungus from him I'm sure he would sell you some. If your Atta are not Atta texana though, I'm not sure if they'd play nice with Atta texana fungus because Atta texana do go through a period of diapause.

• BugFinder, AnthonyP163, Canadant and 5 others like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#53 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 7 2020 - 6:57 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

He is aware of everyone's discontent, and honestly ridiculing someone for purchasing illegal ants will not make them change their ways, just repel them from you and probably this entire forum. He has asked if anyone has fungus and if you do not want to give him fungus or do not have any relevance to the topic, you shouldn't be replying, regardless of your opinion or how much his actions offend you. Topics involving even a slight accusation of someone getting ants illegally tend to get ruined by those who are upset or disagree, and it's become an issue. 

• BugFinder, Mdrogun, Canadant and 3 others like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#54 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted May 7 2020 - 8:29 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

While other people's opinions don't matter. Importing ants illegally does matter, if he does have a permit, good on him. If he doesn't, it's illegal, no matter what could happen because of his selfishness and willingness to import exotic ants to other states. We've seen what can happen when stuff like this happens, especially with other insects. Nobody thought Invicta could withstand our winters. Don't know what you thought feedback he was gonna get when he got found out importing illegal ants ON AN ANT FORUM. Of course people were going to get mad and state their opinions.

• TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 1 other like this

#55 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 8 2020 - 5:56 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Why should someone else's opinions have any bearing on the choices a person decides to make?  Especially the opinions of strangers?

The opinion of the law does, though.

• PacificNorthWestern and AntsDakota like this

#56 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 8 2020 - 5:57 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

He is aware of everyone's discontent, and honestly ridiculing someone for purchasing illegal ants will not make them change their ways, just repel them from you and probably this entire forum. He has asked if anyone has fungus and if you do not want to give him fungus or do not have any relevance to the topic, you shouldn't be replying, regardless of your opinion or how much his actions offend you. Topics involving even a slight accusation of someone getting ants illegally tend to get ruined by those who are upset or disagree, and it's become an issue. 

While I agree that atta probably isn't able to invade, it's still pretty unethical, as no matter what, OP's conditions weren't correct to raising the fungus.

• PacificNorthWestern and AntsDakota like this

#57 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 6:44 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

While I agree that atta probably isn't able to invade, it's still pretty unethical, as no matter what, OP's conditions weren't correct to raising the fungus.

Yes. The only thing I'm concerned about is the legality of the matter, though. I might have offered advice if he received a permit for it, but apparently not.

• PacificNorthWestern and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#58 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted May 8 2020 - 6:54 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Honestly, he should care if he imports Atta, because it might not be able to survive in Washington, but someone could be a real creepo, ping his IP address and tell the local authorities...It's not likely, but a risk, and a risk I personally wouldn't take...He could get arrested, but he doesn't seem to care so why should I help him. He made the decision to not care about some laws so why should I care about him? 

Edit: I could continue with how the authorities could find you with your IP address and etc. but I'm going to give you one warning, and this was it. I and I don't think anyone else wants to help you. Congrats, and I may sound like I'm overreacting, but I'm not, just being a realist before you yell at me

Edited by Da_NewAntOnTheBlock, May 8 2020 - 6:56 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Broncos, PacificNorthWestern and 2 others like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#59 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 7:00 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Congrats, and I may sound like I'm overreacting, but I'm not, just being a realist before you yell at me

He seems to be ignoring (or at least not responding to) all comments related to the legality of the issue, so I'm guessing he's not going to yell at you.

• PacificNorthWestern, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and jushi like this

#60 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted May 8 2020 - 7:08 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Congrats, and I may sound like I'm overreacting, but I'm not, just being a realist before you yell at me

He seems to be ignoring (or at least not responding to) all comments related to the legality of the issue, so I'm guessing he's not going to yell at you.

I was referring to the other people, and just covering the bases. I think we should let this thread die on another note

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, PacificNorthWestern and 1 other like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users