• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#101 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted May 14 2020 - 10:20 AM

EchoMeter4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Atta spp. cannot survive in Washington. If you think otherwise, you're willingly ignoring what all the current evidence suggests.

Most of those studies have one particular gigantic flaw - they ignore the fact that city areas are MUCH warmer than the surrounding rural areas, allowing a plethora of invasive species to survive that shouldn't be capable of doing so.
About 90% of all invasive species spend multiple decades around cosy human infrastructure before they set out to conquer the rest of the land.

You would only run into issues if you went to Argentina and started grabbing something like new Solenopsis spp. and then brought them up here. Nobody is doing that though, and if somebody did I would be angry.

You have no idea of the amount of dumb people smuggling ants all across US state lines. And they don't stop with Atta.
There's one specific user on Formiculture ("Alabama Anter" aka "Yellow Rice" aka Joseph Kim) who never got banned despite it being an open secret he was basically the #1 illegal smuggler of european ants into the US.
I've seen pictures of his Lasius niger, Camponotus ligniperda and Messor barbarus. I'm fairly sure he had Myrmica rubra* at one point as well - there are in fact Canadian "ant shops" selling this species right now.

* "The European fire ant is an invasive species that was introduced around 1900 into the Boston area. It did not spread extensively for several decades, although it was reported in Quebec back in 1915. Perhaps about 30-40 years ago it began to significantly expand its range and was reported in southern Ontario.  In the past 15 years it has moved into the Maritimes (Groden et al. 2005, Wetterer and Radchenko 2010), although until this identification all localizations of the European fire ant in North America have been below 49° N."

"This insect was first detected almost a century ago in Boston, and has since spread to many areas of eastern North America. It has not generally been problematic, but in the past 10-15 years, reports of high colony densities and spread have been increasing. These small red ants are superficially similar to other native Myrmica, but in occupied ground they reach staggeringly high colony densities of up to 4 nests/square metre. They become known to anyone walking on their turf due to their painful stinging attacks in defense of their nests. In areas with large numbers of colonies, activities as innocuous as sitting on the grass can become impossible."

"In the paper, Naumann and Higgins report staggeringly high numbers of EFA captures in pitfall trapping in infested areas, compared to moderate numbers of native ants in uninfested habitats. The numbers of Myrmica rubra exceeded the numbers of all native ants by 10 to 1300 times!

More worryingly, Myrmica rubra seems to outcompete and eliminate all other native ants, and in infested areas, very few native ants can be found. In addition, other litter arthropods seem to be reduced in infested areas as well, though the reduction in species richness indices is mostly attributable to the loss of the native ants.
British Columbia, as a biologically diverse and relatively warm province with high levels of oceanic trade, may be the testing ground for biological invasions from ants. A second introduced Myrmica, Myrmica specioides, is also mentioned in the paper. Unlike M. rubra, Myrmica specioides queens retain their flight capabilities, and thus there is no feasible way of stopping their spread."

You should probably increase your understanding on Atta, I've seen some gems you've said in the ant discord. Especially this one 

d63gOtp.png

You know I have real experience with keeping Atta apart from having them be native to my area and extremely common, this is not true. I have seen workers all sizes (Except majors) cut leaves and do random work around the nest.

ZUi7K4y.jpg

They all look almost the same and are all minors they just divide the work there's no such thing as missing a type of worker. 

There are some other things you've said that don't match out but I just wanted to make the point you should inform yourself a little bit more.

Now let's go to the Atta in Washington... complaining about that isn't really the smartest, here they are native and their success rate is awful. I've even see big colonies with strong foraging behavior just all of the sudden disappear in the wild and mature colonies are very rare.

In captivity it gets better and worse, while the success rate is higher the probability of getting a mature colony is tiny because they're massive once they get to the point where they produce alates. (I've never seen a captive colony with alates)

Now let's see, once it escapes there's a big problem the weather. (Yeah they can hibernate bla bla) but the problem is they're just not adapted to live such a long winter in Washington. Look at the map of where Texana could live, there are many warm places where they can't, it's just not that easy.

Now the next, Atta don't inbreed so if a texana colony somehow escaped there and somehow got to a mature colony it would just not spread (I've never seen mature colonies in urban areas btw). When they nest in urban areas they also often nest in cracks where it's impossible to even get a queen alate out of. 

So in conclusion in a magic world where they manage to escape then they could do some short term damage to some plants the neighbor has but still I have seen trees getting eaten to the last leaf and then recover, even a plant a neighbor had that got completely destroyed by them was back to normal in like a month.

Btw did we even confirm it was texana? It would be hilarious if it even wasn't because the chances of them surviving would be even closer to null.

To anyone who likes to [censored] about Formiculture not taking care of these things I ask "Are you a mod in here?" If the answer is no then it's probably none of your business.

Edited by EchoMeter4, May 14 2020 - 10:25 AM.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, VenomousBeast and 1 other like this

#102 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted May 14 2020 - 10:34 AM

EchoMeter4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Alsooo... I was looking at aak logs... Oopsy

MU6pnbh.png

Edited by EchoMeter4, May 14 2020 - 10:36 AM.

• Mdrogun, AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this

#103 Offline SuperFrank - Posted May 14 2020 - 11:41 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Literally nothing you said is even relevant to the argument, it's super neat-o that you know about atta nanitics and don't think they could survive or whatever but that doesn't negate their status as plant pests or magically make their transport legal.

#104 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted May 14 2020 - 11:45 AM

EchoMeter4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Literally nothing you said is even relevant to the argument, it's super neat-o that you know about atta nanitics and don't think they could survive or whatever but that doesn't negate their status as plant pests or magically make their transport legal.

Nothing we say will make them legal. It is illegal to get them but if you're not reporting him to the USDA or anything it's probably none of your business. Educating him is what would help him not to do it but if everyone is rude like this and starts ranting this will accomplish nothing.

#105 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 14 2020 - 11:47 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Just because it is likely that they would not every survive in Washington, IT'S STILL ILLEGAL . And while I doubt anyone here would report you, or anybody else, just follow the rules.

Edited by NickAnter, May 14 2020 - 11:49 AM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#106 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted May 14 2020 - 11:48 AM

EchoMeter4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Just because it is likely that they would not every survive in Washington, IT'S STILL ILLEGAL . And while i doubt anyone here would report you, or anybody else, just follow the rules.

I'm just addressing the wannabe law enforcement people here losing their minds.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this

#107 Offline SuperFrank - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:01 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
I report literally every instance of illegal trading that I am made aware of. There's an email for reporting suspected smuggling, I just grab a couple relevant screenshots/ip's and send them along with short message, takes like 5 minutes. Sometimes they follow up with me and ask questions or whatever and sometimes they don't.

Edited by SuperFrank, May 14 2020 - 12:03 PM.

#108 Offline TechAnt - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:03 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Ok, I have been watching this for a while seeing the chaos it is now. Can we just leave it at, we all have our own opinions, but you should not break the law, though Atta may not even survive in the environment they have been imported into, can we leave it at that?
Can we let this thread die please..
  • AnthonyP163, CheetoLord02, EchoMeter4 and 3 others like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#109 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:04 PM

EchoMeter4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

I report literally every instance of illegal trading that I am made aware of. There's an email for reporting suspected smuggling, sometimes they follow up with me and ask questions or whatever and sometimes they don't.

Then it's easy, report it to the USDA and don't reply. If the people in charge of that don't do anything then don't sweat it just make no big deal of it.

• NickAnter likes this

#110 Offline SuperFrank - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:08 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
If that's your opinion then maybe take your own advice and pipe down.

Edited by SuperFrank, May 14 2020 - 12:08 PM.

#111 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:08 PM

EchoMeter4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

If that's your opinion then maybe take your own advice and pipe down.

I will and think you should too. This is my last post on this thread.

#112 Offline SuperFrank - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:14 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Well thanks for letting everyone know

#113 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:19 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Guys although I don't condone illegal trading, I don't think it's a good idea to literally force the pro native mindset down everyone's throats.

Edited by Manitobant, May 14 2020 - 12:21 PM.

• Barristan, Mdrogun, AnthonyP163 and 3 others like this

#114 Offline Serafine - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:29 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

"Why is it that actual scientists who's entire life's work is the study and control of arthropods and plants all agree that transporting ants is a horribly bad idea but kids on the internet think they know so much better because they have some ants in their bedroom. It is every bit as asinine as arguing against global warming or in favor of a flat earth and is 100% a result of ignorance."

Because they know everything and don't care about anything but their own enjoyment. Screw the law, screw nature, screw the nation's food supply. Who needs food and agricultural jobs anyway?
Can't wait for Oecephylla to pop up in Florida or California...

They all look almost the same and are all minors they just divide the work there's no such thing as missing a type of worker.

My ant book written by E.A. Wilson and Hölldobler says otherwise. So who's right - the guy that is basically the living embodiment of entomology or some guy keeping ants in their bedroom?

Now let's go to the Atta in Washington... complaining about that isn't really the smartest, here they are native and their success rate is awful. I've even see big colonies with strong foraging behavior just all of the sudden disappear in the wild and mature colonies are very rare.

Shipping Atta to Washington is illegal, PERIOD.

Also just because some animal does terrible in their native bome doesn't mean it can't become invasive elsewhere - there are more than enough incidents that prove otherwise. Even Argentines aren't exactly doing great in their native biome.
And certainly nobody would have thought that a tiny flatwom from New Zealand might be capable of exterminating the earthworm populations of entire scottish countrysides.

Oh, and in some other breaking news, pretty much any ant's success rate is awful. You know Lasius niger? Those ferocious little fighters who dominate pretty much every city biome in central and northern Europe? The ones that almost cancelled Wimbledon and flew in such numbers that their flights showed up as heavy rainfall on weather radars in southern England? Just think about the chances one of the TRILLIONS of queens ejected during their massive summer flights actually has.
I can guarantee Atta queens are doing far better than Lasius niger when it comes to founding success rate.

In captivity it gets better and worse, while the success rate is higher the probability of getting a mature colony is tiny because they're massive once they get to the point where they produce alates. (I've never seen a captive colony with alates)

[...]

Now the next, Atta don't inbreed so if a texana colony somehow escaped there and somehow got to a mature colony it would just not spread (I've never seen mature colonies in urban areas btw). When they nest in urban areas they also often nest in cracks where it's impossible to even get a queen alate out of.

I doubt there's more than a handful of people even capable of handling an adult Atta colony. Usually people try to get rid of them when they become to big to sustain, worst case they're getting dumped somewhere into the wild.

And I've been told by a german myrmecologist that he never met an ant species that wouldn't inbreed if they couldn't find any other option. Species that mate with multiple males are even more willing to do so.

To anyone who likes to [censored] about Formiculture not taking care of these things I ask "Are you a mod in here?" If the answer is no then it's probably none of your business.

"Is anyone here a policeman? If no then go ahead and leave this guy alone, he still has a few more people to murder and it's none of your business".
Yep, we totally shouldn't care and just let the world burn in flames. We're surely going to make it to the next millennium with that kind of attitude.

Alsooo... I was looking at aak logs... Oopsy

MU6pnbh.png

LOL, you scrolled all the way back to 2017 and that was the best you could find?
Yes, that's of course TOTALLY comparable with openly bragging about smuggling Solenopsis geminata across half the US on a plane :sarcastic:

Also, you do know it was a VERY different time back then - the ant discord was basically just a handful of guys casually talking about ants (and had just moved from Skype to Discord), Formiculture was more-or-less in it's infancy, AntsCanada made genuinely good Youtube videos and even the old Yuku board still saw some traffic.
We were at the very beginning of actually organizing a structure and guidelines for a healthy community and the most important thing at that time was to stop people from publicly encouraging others to break laws because there were quite a few people who did this on a very regular basis (*cough* Joseph Kim *cough*).

And even back then those simple guidelines were WAY more than what most other antkeeping chats are doing even today - you know, the ones where dumb kids still can brag about smuggling invasive ants across the states in a plane all day long...

Edited by Serafine, May 14 2020 - 1:01 PM.

• jushi likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#115 Offline Barristan - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:54 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany
Serafine, I've never understood why you are so worried about ant shipment across US state borders:

1) You are from Germany like me
2) You keep at least one non-native ant species (Camponotus barbaricus)

So if you lived in the US you'd have violated the law too. That's kind of hypocritical, isn't it?

We also had a quite large escape case in Germany in Cologne in 2006. A quite large Acromyrmex colony escaped, went to the neighbor's garden, and ate his roses.

It was even in the local newspapers and one myrmecologist painted all kinds of horror scenarios, like that they could have already mated and founded new colonies and that they could survive the winter etc.

But in the end, after the winter nobody heard of the colony again.

I would not recommend anybody to break the law just for keeping any fancy ants, but I think the law in the US is nonsense and won't have protected the environment or help to prevent the spread of invasive species.

Edited by Barristan, May 14 2020 - 12:54 PM.

• Canadant, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 2 others like this

#116 Offline Serafine - Posted May 14 2020 - 1:01 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Guys although I don't condone illegal trading, I don't think it's a good idea to literally force the pro native mindset down everyone's throats.

Um, aren't you the guy who imported a colony of Wasmannia auropunctata to Canada and is keeping Pogonomyrmex badius?

Just asking.

Edited by Serafine, May 14 2020 - 2:50 PM.

• AntsBC likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#117 Offline Serafine - Posted May 14 2020 - 2:48 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

1) You are from Germany like me

Honestly, the situation in Europe is even more screwed up.
We have people keeping species like Solenopsis invicta, Wasmannia auropunctata and Monomorium pharaonis - many of those keepers being underaged kids - and the amount of illegal exports arriving in Europe (especially from Asia) is just mindboggling (it's not illegal to import them but in most cases it is definitely illegal to export them from their country of origin, as has been shown in the case of Gerhardt Kalytta in Australia and those two other guys who got busted in Costa Rica).
And while most species most likely aren't capable of surviving in central europe (possibly in city centers though) we do live in a trade union where anyone can just casually send any of their invasive species to someone else in southern Spain or Sicily where conditions might in fact be quite favorable.
This is bound to bite us in the butt at some point.

2) You keep at least one non-native ant species (Camponotus barbaricus)

True, but at least they're not from the opposite end of the world or illegally collected.
And I didn't actually buy them from some shop, I got them more or less by accident (they were a "spare colony", someone else got sent two so she gave me one of them). They were an adoption in the purest semantic sense.
If I had to decide I'd probably have gone for C. herculeanus or C. ligniperda.

So if you lived in the US you'd have violated the law too. That's kind of hypocritical, isn't it?

Except I'm not living in the US and the EU doesn't even manage to get it's butt up to ban actually dangerous exotics (let's see how long it takes for german antshops to start selling Formica fuscocinerea, maybe that will make our environment departments move).

And as you should know (and I have stated this before), I'm not per se against all exotics but I do think we need a better system to ensure that:

- actually dangerous known invasives are kept out of the entire EU as much as possible

- imported ants are collected and shipped legally and without destroying their native habitats (this requires a sensible permit system)

- the shipping process follows certain binding standards (no shipping of plastic tubes in envelopes) and certain sensitive species shouldn't be allowed to be shipped outside of qualified pet transport (looking at you Carebara diversa)

- something to ensure that a petkeeper is actually a responsible person and capable of housing their pets properly (this doesn't apply to just ants, it's a mostly unsolved issue with birds and dogs as well)

Also I'm fairly certain my Camponotus are going to stay the only non-native colony I keep, possibly even the only colony I'm going to keep permanently.

I don't need a dozen colonies and I certainly won't overestimate my ability to house them.

We also had a quite large escape case in Germany in Cologne in 2006. A quite large Acromyrmex colony escaped, went to the neighbor's garden, and ate his roses.

It was even in the local newspapers and one myrmecologist painted all kinds of horror scenarios, like that they could have already mated and founded new colonies and that they could survive the winter etc.

Let me guess who that certain myrmecologist was.

Exotic organisms often need several decades to establish a basic self-sufficient population that is capable of expanding beyond their initial range.

Rarely an exotic organism is an instant conqueror (unless it meets a native ecosystem that's already mostly wiped out, like german rivers in the 60s and 70s) but leave them unchecked for too long and they may grow into an uncontrollable force.

I would not recommend anybody to break the law just for keeping any fancy ants, but I think the law in the US is nonsense and won't have protected the environment or help to prevent the spread of invasive species.

They are still the laws though even if they may not make the most sense in every single case (like with Camponotus pennsylvanicus). At least they allowed the shipping of Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, that's something.

Keep in mind though that these laws are in place to protect the US agricultural industry and that it's not just about ants - in many cases the ants might not even be the problem but some mite or nematode taking a hitch ride on their bodies, and those two organism groups in particular can have absolutely devastating effects on crops.

Edited by Serafine, May 14 2020 - 2:52 PM.

• gcsnelling likes this

#118 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 14 2020 - 2:59 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Um, aren't you the guy who imported a colony of Wasmannia auropunctata to Canada and is keeping Pogonomyrmex badius?
Just asking.
it wasn't wasmannia. It was tetramorium simillimum misidentified as wasmannia and it was a colony with just winged alates.

#119 Offline jushi - Posted May 14 2020 - 3:06 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Lol

Doesn't help anyone, it's just rude.

KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#120 Offline jushi - Posted May 14 2020 - 3:09 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

This guy just exposed himself for illegally importing ants... that was painful to read...

• AntsExodus likes this
KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users