• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsDakota.com

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 8 2020 - 12:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

POPULAR

Hello Formiculture,

Welcome to the official AntsDakota introduction page, in which I will explain our efforts in making a mark on the ant keeping community. 

This is our official logo:

WURrL1p.png

So, what's the big deal, anyways?

This is a question some of you may have, and is probably the most obvious of questions that one could ask me. So, let me explain:

AntsDakota will be an established franchise composing of a central website, which will include a wiki and shop (more info on those below). It will also include a YouTube channel. So, this will be a completely new US based ant franchise, ant name brands are somewhat sparse in the US, with the exception of THA and this forum, respectively. So, now that you know the basics, let's get into some detail

History/Origins

The idea for this franchise originated around 5 years ago, and was originally inspired by AntsCanada, whom I have since rejected. I thought it would be 'cool' to own an ant company within the United States that was similar to AC. That is why I named myself AntsDakota on the AC forum back in early 2018, and upon joining Formiculture in June of 2019. However even when I had rejected AntsCanada, the AntsDakota franchise lived on, in my mind anyways. Now, I have gathered the resources necessary to make it a reality! 

AntsDakota.com

The AntsDakota website, officially known as AntsDakota.com, will comprise of several sections, mainly a wiki and shop. However, several other assets will be incorporated as well. Here's a preview photo of what the main page will look like:

2020-08-15.png

AntsDakota Wiki

The AntsDakota Wiki will be a database designed to introduce average people to the world of ants. Information is collected from AntWiki.org and Formiculture, yet I translate it into a language that most people should be able to understand, and therefore are better prepared to handle the complex terminology and taxonomic classifications of ants. The wiki will consist of four main categories: 

Ant Species Database

The Ant Species Database will consist of a list of over 200 species which most people will recognize. It is designed as an 'If you can keep it, it's there' type wiki. I collect information from mainly AntWiki and Formiculture and build a profile of the species which is more comprehensible than AntWiki yet more in depth than Formiculture usually is. 

Ant Terminology and Anatomy

This is a guide of several dozen pages to the terms and concepts every ant keeper needs to know. Everything from ant colony structure, taxonomic terminology, and anatomical terminology, useful for translating AntWiki's 'Identification' segments. 

Famous Ant Professionals

This will be a database containing famous Myrmecologists and individuals who have contributed to Myrmecology and ant keeping. 

Ant Channels, Forums, Media, and Shops

A database of all ant franchises that are somewhat well known. If it is well known on YouTube, a shop, or a forum (including this one), it will be included in this list. 

Wiki Contributors:

So far the following members have contributed at least one page worth's work/information to our wiki:

AntsDakota (myself, obviously)

Ants_Dakota

AnthonyP163

AntsDakota Shop

While Ants_Dakota is designing and will sell AntsDakota brand formicariums, the AntsDakota shop will be a collection of several small time sellers who wish to become known. Most of these sellers will be formicarium merchants, yet a couple will sell other things as well. Here's a list of our shop contributors so far:

CatsnAnts will represent the Temnogrid company on our shop. He will sell his homemade formicariums on our shop.

NickAnter will also sell his formicariums on our shop. An official name brand is not currently available. 

madbiologist is yet another formicarium merchant, who has not yet specified an official name brand either. 

And finally, Ant_Dude2908 is our last formicarium merchant, and is also our one and only Pogonomyrmex occidentalis merchant!

AntsDakota YouTube

The official AntsDakota YouTube channel will be owned and operated by me. I will attempt to create helpful tutorials, and I will post updates on my ant colonies as well. Of course AntsDakota.com promotional videos will also be present. I am in the process of making the first set of videos, should release within 2 weeks (of 10/7/20), probably sooner.

AntsDakota Discord

We have officially began a Discord community to kick off this franchise. Within just 10 days of conception, the server has grown at a surprising rate, now totaling at 40 members. We would love to have YOU as well, no matter who you are (as long as you have a passion for ants, or are curious).

https://discord.gg/vkwjYzz

AntsDakota Instagram

Currently AntsExodus is managing our Instagram account, yet it is definitely still under construction. There isn't really much there, but I plan to build on it later. If you still want to see it anyways, you can go here.

Expected Release Date

AntsDakota.com itself, along with the Wiki and shop, will be released before Christmas Day, hopefully (it is our current deadline, anyways). As previously mentioned, the YouTube channel will be released a few weeks after that, and Myrme-Wars a few months to a year after that. The Instagram account is already up and running, yet needs serious renovations. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Again, thank  you all for your time and support! I hope this message was helpful in describing our efforts! We at the AntsDakota team will try our best to live up to the expectations set here today on this post. Anyways, I wish all of you well as you leave here and go about your lives, and I will officially see you in November! 

Sincerely,

-the AntsDakota team.

Edited by AntsDakota, October 7 2020 - 2:12 PM.

• Canadant, AntsMaryland, skocko76 and 13 others like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 8 2020 - 12:59 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

You all have wondered why me and AntsDakota have the same name? Here is why! 

Edited by Ants_Dakota, September 29 2020 - 4:27 PM.

• Antennal_Scrobe and Froggy like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 8 2020 - 1:02 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

This is not just a South Dakotan thing(although all of the creators live in SD). Our wiki will cover all of the common ants in the world, and later we will fill in all of the others!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 8 2020 - 1:04 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Attention:  We are looking for any ant photographs you can send us, along with their species. We will include an image credit for you for sending the image. We really appreciate your help!

Edited by Ants_Dakota, April 8 2020 - 1:06 PM.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 8 2020 - 1:04 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yes indeed. Most decent images out there have copyrights.

Edited by AntsDakota, April 8 2020 - 1:05 PM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 8 2020 - 2:22 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I have some Camponotus pics and a pic of Formica Subseriecia and a Tetramorium Immigrans worker pic if u want 'em

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#7 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 8 2020 - 2:23 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I could also set 'traps' like @VoideEdge did to attract ants to take pics of (he has a wonderful TED talk btw if u haven't check it out) and I could give u those pics...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 8 2020 - 2:35 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

That would be so helpful! We don't have any good camera right now so any picture will go into the wiki.

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 8 2020 - 2:36 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I shall provide a photo dump when my phone is charged.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 8 2020 - 2:39 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

We love photo dumps! Pour them into here!

#11 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 8 2020 - 2:53 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'll send u my good pics

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 8 2020 - 2:54 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Photo dump:

That's all I'm doing for now. I have more though.

Edited by NickAnter, April 8 2020 - 2:56 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 8 2020 - 3:04 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

nice

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#14 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 8 2020 - 3:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Here are a few more:

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 9 2020 - 8:27 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Do you know any of the species? We will use some of those, also!

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 9 2020 - 9:11 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis:

WP_20200409_005.jpg

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 9 2020 - 9:19 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

You know, we're probably not going to get to these in a while. I currently am in genus Cephalotes, and am working in alphabetical order. It'll be a while before I get to Trachymyrmex, but I'll definitely use this.  :)

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 9 2020 - 9:21 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

You know, we're probably not going to get to these in a while. I currently am in genus Cephalotes, and am working in alphabetical order. It'll be a while before I get to Trachymyrmex, but I'll definitely use this.  :)

Yea that's gonna be a while... :lol:

#19 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 9 2020 - 9:22 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

My list includes 216 species worldwide, and I can only do 3 articles a day at best. 

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#20 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 9 2020 - 9:26 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow, do you want some help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users