• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Keeping Speculation Thread

ants speculation

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Serafine - Posted January 12 2020 - 10:26 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The other issue is - do you trust the average US antkeeper to ID a species correctly? Or the people who sell "black ants in a bottle" on GAN?

What happens if someone from Hawaii ships Wasmannia auropunctata to California or someone sends Myrmica rubra, Nylanderia fulva or even worse Solenopsis invicta across the country? Can you imagine what Atta species could do to Californian fruit tree sites or the crop fields of Colorado? There are so many ways how this could go horribly wrong, particularly in the southern states that do not have the protective cold winters that eradicate most tropical invasive species.

Edited by Serafine, January 13 2020 - 3:43 AM.

• rbarreto, Somethinghmm, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#22 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:06 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The other issue is - do you trust the average US antkeeper to ID a species correctly? Or the people who sell "black ants in a bottle" on GAN?

What happens if someone from Hawaii ships Wasmannia auropunctata to California or someone sends Myrmica rubra, Nylanderia fulva or even worse Solenopsis invicta across the country? Can you imagine what Atta species could do to Californian fruit tree sites or the crop fields of Colorado? There are so many ways how this could go horribly wrong, particularly in the southern states that do not have the protective cold winters that eradicate most tropical invasive species.

I remember those.

#23 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:12 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Ok, maybe just expand the 'can transport' list? It would include but not be limited to-

genus Lasius

genus Formica

genus Camponotus

genus Aphaenogaster

genus Brachymyrmex

genus Dorymyrmex

genus Crematogaster

genus Myrmecocystus

genus Prenolepis

genus Pheidole (excluding P. megacephalum)

genus Monomorium

genus Forelius

genus Temnothorax

genus Pogonomyrmex (obviously)

genus Cephalotes

genus Colobopsis

genus Veromessor

genus Novomessor

genus Nylanderia (excluding N. fulva)

genus Ponera

genus Stigmatomma

genus Hypoponera

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#24 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:34 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ok, maybe just expand the 'can transport' list? It would include but not be limited to-

genus Lasius

genus Formica

genus Camponotus

genus Aphaenogaster

genus Brachymyrmex

genus Dorymyrmex

genus Crematogaster

genus Myrmecocystus

genus Prenolepis

genus Pheidole (excluding P. megacephalum)

genus Monomorium

genus Forelius

genus Temnothorax

genus Pogonomyrmex (obviously)

genus Cephalotes

genus Colobopsis

genus Veromessor

genus Novomessor

genus Nylanderia (excluding N. fulva)

genus Ponera

genus Stigmatomma

genus Hypoponera

Monomorium, Pheidole, Dorymyrmex, and some Formica could become hugely invasive. All of these excluding Stigmatomma could be invasive under the right conditions.

And maybe also excluding Cephalotes.

#25 Offline Serafine - Posted January 14 2020 - 5:57 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Lasius niger are invasive in Canada. Considering how stupendously aggressive and territorial they are they're very likely to wipe the floor with most native ants.

And then there's Lasius neglectus the only temperate climate supercolony species (looks fairly similar to Lasius niger), a plague that has already taken over entire city blocks in central Europe similar to how Argentines do in warmer climates.

Formica fuscocinerea (as species from the Serviformica group) is currently becoming an invasive in southern Germany, taking over sandy areas and children playgrounds with their massive budding colonies (it even got some media attention because usually parents don't like their toddlers being bitten by big black ants).

Camponotus is probably one of the groups that may on average cause the least problems but there are species (like the polygynous Camponotus nicobarensis) with a definite potential to become invasives (didn't they find a "wild" colony of these at some US port recently?).

The invasive tiny Brachymyrmex patagonicus may cause serious problems down the line as it is one of the few species that don't just excel in "disturbed landscape" (aka anywhere near humans) but has shown that it can very easily invade natural woodland habitats.

Pharao ants belong to the genus Monomorium.

I could go on but I think that's enough to show that limitations on a genus level won't work. Almost every genus has a few problem species and the more generalist it's members typically are the higher is their potential to establish themselves in a new environment and become invasive.

Edited by Serafine, January 14 2020 - 6:38 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#26 Offline rbarreto - Posted January 14 2020 - 9:55 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
I feel like the only thing that would work would be bringing some species of tropical ants to colder climates. I don't think the demand is high enough to warrant the government funneling resources into identifying which species wouldn't be able to survive the winter though.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#27 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 14 2020 - 10:38 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

new scenario: what if army ants like eciton and dorylus were easily keepable?

Personally I think there would be a huge demand for them and the populations may take a bit of a hit. What do you guys think would happen?

Edited by Manitobant, January 14 2020 - 11:31 AM.

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

#28 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted January 14 2020 - 12:36 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Personally I think there would be a huge demand for them and the populations may take a bit of a hit. What do you guys think would happen?

I think in order for them to be easily keepable, you would have to change so much about them that they wouldn't be much more interesting to "normal" people to make them popular enough that smuggling and local keeping would affect them much.

Sure they still look amazing and some ant keepers would dream of them, like I do with Myrmecia species, but they wouldn't be as widely known since their behavior/lifestyle is what gets non-ant keeping people to know about them.

#29 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 14 2020 - 1:33 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Ooh I've got a new scenario:

What if central Tennessee wasn't devoid of all the super cool ants like Pogonomyrmex badius and Trachymyrmex septentrionalis or Cyphomyrmex?!

Well, I take that back. There's a few recorded Trachymyrmex colonies in the Nashville area.

#30 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 14 2020 - 2:41 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I honestly think army ant keeping would be a LOT more expensive than ordinary ant keeping. I mean, you're dealing with a whole new set of variables and requirements with them.

#31 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 14 2020 - 2:51 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

New Scenario:

If there were ants in the polar or aquatic environments, what adaptations would they have?

#32 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 14 2020 - 3:46 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have one: WHAT IF I WASN'T NAUTURAL ANT REPELLANT

• TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this

#33 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 14 2020 - 5:03 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Lasius niger are invasive in Canada. Considering how stupendously aggressive and territorial they are they're very likely to wipe the floor with most native ants.

And then there's Lasius neglectus the only temperate climate supercolony species (looks fairly similar to Lasius niger), a plague that has already taken over entire city blocks in central Europe similar to how Argentines do in warmer climates.

Formica fuscocinerea (as species from the Serviformica group) is currently becoming an invasive in southern Germany, taking over sandy areas and children playgrounds with their massive budding colonies (it even got some media attention because usually parents don't like their toddlers being bitten by big black ants).

Camponotus is probably one of the groups that may on average cause the least problems but there are species (like the polygynous Camponotus nicobarensis) with a definite potential to become invasives (didn't they find a "wild" colony of these at some US port recently?).

The invasive tiny Brachymyrmex patagonicus may cause serious problems down the line as it is one of the few species that don't just excel in "disturbed landscape" (aka anywhere near humans) but has shown that it can very easily invade natural woodland habitats.

Pharao ants belong to the genus Monomorium.

I could go on but I think that's enough to show that limitations on a genus level won't work. Almost every genus has a few problem species and the more generalist it's members typically are the higher is their potential to establish themselves in a new environment and become invasive.

I feel like the only thing that would work would be bringing some species of tropical ants to colder climates. I don't think the demand is high enough to warrant the government funneling resources into identifying which species wouldn't be able to survive the winter though.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus novaeboracensis

genus Cephalotes

Formica fusca species complex

Lasius americanus

Lasius neoniger

genus Myrmecocystus

Odontomachus brunneus 

Odontomachus clarus

genus Pogonomyrmex

Prenolepis imparis

Solenonpsis molesta

genus Stigmatomma

Edited by AntsDakota, January 14 2020 - 5:04 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#34 Offline Serafine - Posted January 15 2020 - 6:16 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

New Scenario:

If there were ants in the polar or aquatic environments, what adaptations would they have?

You basically already have those in form of the northern Prenolepis imparis populations, they're having an estivation/hibernation period of 9-10 months (they're only active for 3-4 weeks during early spring and late autumn/early winter).

Not really an interesting species to keep.

Aquatic eusocial strategies don't seem to work as fish are incredibly effective at sucking up vast amounts of small invertebrates. Those things would have to be incredibly dangerous to keep ocean predators at bay.

Edited by Serafine, January 15 2020 - 6:20 AM.

#35 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 16 2020 - 12:41 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

New Scenario:

You basically already have those in form of the northern Prenolepis imparis populations, they're having an estivation/hibernation period of 9-10 months (they're only active for 3-4 weeks during early spring and late autumn/early winter).

Aquatic eusocial strategies don't seem to work as fish are incredibly effective at sucking up vast amounts of small invertebrates. Those things would have to be incredibly dangerous to keep ocean predators at bay.

P. imparis doesn't really get that far north/south. At least, not as far as I was asking. Basically, if there were ants living around, say, the South Pole, what exactly would they be like?

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, January 16 2020 - 12:41 PM.

#36 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 16 2020 - 2:55 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

New Scenario:

P. imparis doesn't really get that far north/south. At least, not as far as I was asking. Basically, if there were ants living around, say, the South Pole, what exactly would they be like?

Dead.

#37 Offline Serafine - Posted January 16 2020 - 2:56 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

No insects can live around the south pole and even if they could* what do you expect them to eat? There's nothing there. Not even mammals can survive there, basically all arctic life depends on the oceans (which are not an option near the south pole).

Maybe at the coasts they could survive (bird poop should be a food source available in abundance) but they'd be incredibly slow-growing and probably hibernating for most of the year.

*assuming that insects for whatever reason invented exothermic metabolism, although not even that would help them as due to their small size and large surface area (in relation to their volume) they would freeze to the core withins seconds

#38 Offline LPN1982 - Posted January 30 2020 - 4:27 AM

LPN1982

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationLake County, Florida
Let's not forget the infamous Tapinoma melanocephalum aka the Ghost Ant. They are a tropical non-native pest species in Florida, but have been established in the Southeastern United States for a very long time much like Pheidole megacephala, the volatile Solenopsis invicta, and many others. According to the USDA, Tapinoma melanocephalum is one of the most invasive, house infesting pest species that can be very difficult to control. A small species that have a unique coloring and the ability to disappear/blend among certain colors. They will literally swarm en masse on anything edible in your home even if its wrapped up and safely stored. (I personally experienced the little hemorrhoids within my kitchen years back). I'm not sure how far in the USA they have gotten, but apparently they can not survive or tolerate the cold in the Northeastern US.

Edited by LPN1982, January 30 2020 - 4:32 AM.

Michael J Borden LPN

Current Keeper Of:
Camponotus floridanus
Camponotus castaneus
Crematogaster ashmeadi
Dorymyrmex bureni
Solenopsis geminata

#39 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 30 2020 - 3:04 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Some species, especially those with small colonies or passive behavior would not cause problems, I don't think. For example, L. flavus would probably be fine, along with ants like Temnothorax.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#40 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 30 2020 - 3:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

No insects can live around the south pole and even if they could* what do you expect them to eat? There's nothing there. Not even mammals can survive there, basically all arctic life depends on the oceans (which are not an option near the south pole).

Maybe at the coasts they could survive (bird poop should be a food source available in abundance) but they'd be incredibly slow-growing and probably hibernating for most of the year.

*assuming that insects for whatever reason invented exothermic metabolism, although not even that would help them as due to their small size and large surface area (in relation to their volume) they would freeze to the core withins seconds

Perhaps Trachymyrmex would be best suited. They could feed the bird excrement to their fungus. I read somewhere that it gets to 60 degrees on the Peninsula in the heat of summer, so perhaps they could live there.....

Edited by AntsDakota, January 30 2020 - 3:20 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and TheMicroPlanet like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users