• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Empires of the Undergrowth

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 26 2019 - 10:28 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
How many of you play this game? It's super fun and you should totally try it.

I just beat 3.1(the first leaf cutter mission) on hard for the first time last night. It was a super close call barely did it.

The opposing colony and I were neck and neck and they were going in for the win at the final good foraging spot. I sent in my army of worker ants to gather my own leaves and sent all my medium and major ants to intercept their own gathering lines. Their gathering paused as the battle raged on. I surpassed them on gathering and won just as they were sending in a massive major army to invade my nest.

Woot!
  • TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe, antwall and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted November 26 2019 - 6:35 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I have that game. I cannot beat that Atta level no matter how hard I try. The one with the army ants is easy enough, but "The Harvest" is almost impossible for me. I must be doing something wrong.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#3 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 26 2019 - 6:57 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

I have that game. I cannot beat that Atta level no matter how hard I try. The one with the army ants is easy enough, but "The Harvest" is almost impossible for me. I must be doing something wrong.

YouTube helped me out.

But the best thing I could say is use LOTS of workers, turn off their defense accept you will lose some but they make the resources back you will lose in death, you want numbers in that mission so don't worry about upgrades just keep producing more and more and more. I would say after the first night start harassing the opposing colonies supply. You see them getting good leaves go there send in your majors and mediums to block their workers from gathering while keeping your workers safely behind the wall of defenders. Once you push them away send your big dudes to help gather and be quick to clear the leaves because the opposing colony will counter attack with a much larger force, when that happens retreat and attack another food source. Never stop growing and avoid the bugs in your nest as best as you can, you get nothing for fighting them.

Edited by Kalidas, November 26 2019 - 6:59 PM.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 27 2019 - 9:51 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

There's also a similar game called AntWar.io. It's multiplayer.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline zantezaint - Posted November 27 2019 - 3:58 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

The game needs a lot of work. It really isn't that fun for me.

• FSTP likes this

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#6 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 27 2019 - 6:21 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

Which one? Empires? I love it, but that's fine if you don't

#7 Offline antwall - Posted November 27 2019 - 8:01 PM

antwall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I have Empires, and I love the wood ant levels. They are so easy!
Argentine ants are mean.

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted November 29 2019 - 5:54 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I agree

#9 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 30 2019 - 8:36 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
I mean yeah it needs work, it's an early access game. I think for now it's really good for what it is.

The only thing I think needs desperate work is the free play mode. The way it's set up now is it's hard to get your colony established at first because of the insane number of insects nearby your nest and when you DO get a colony going there's no reason to leave the immediate area around the nest because there is a constant swarm of insects coming that you never run out of food. I feel a better option would be to have zones. Near the nest are low levels of aggressive insects but equally low numbers of food, thus making you have to adventure out to more dangerous places but with larger bounties of food.

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted December 2 2019 - 10:48 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The game has a LOT of potential. I mostly enjoyed the Formica sanguinea level and the first Beach level (the one where you're alone on the beach). Also that Halloween spider level is kinda hilarious.

Freeplay is a bit broken at the moment (very unbalanced creature spawns, no enemy colonies yet), I'm looking forward though to the moment we can play leafcutters against enemy AI colonies.

Edited by Serafine, December 2 2019 - 10:51 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe and Ants_Dakota like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#11 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted December 4 2019 - 5:09 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I for one like Empires of The Undergrowth. It is by far the most realistic portrayal of ants I have ever seen in a game, and I believe it is developed by only 3 people. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 4 2019 - 5:12 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I have yet to get this game. I've been eyeing it since it first came out, and I've been waiting to see what it would turn into. I like what I see, though.

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted December 4 2019 - 5:58 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Waiting for Camponotous... and to get it for Christmas if it has Camponotous.  

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#14 Offline Kalidas - Posted December 4 2019 - 7:29 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

Waiting for Camponotous... and to get it for Christmas if it has Campontotous.

That won't happen, updates take a while (makes sense, small studio) and they already said their next update will be fire ants.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 17 2020 - 7:52 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I also love the game. The ants can be so realistic(if you have a good enough graphics card). I would not recommend getting the game for sure if you have a laptop, but also if your computer is really slow. I got it, and was only able to play on the lowest graphics until i got a $90 graphics card(the other one broke) and i can still only play on the second to worst graphics. The game however is really well made, however I agree with serafine about the other colonies in free-play.

• Thunder_Birds likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#16 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted February 27 2020 - 4:15 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I don't have it myself but I've watched plenty of gameplay on YouTube.

No matter what it is if it's about ants I'll probably be into it.
I love games too so no wonder I watched countless hours of it on youtube
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#17 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 27 2020 - 9:27 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I have watched some of it, and that is what inspired me to play/buy it. it is really worth it in my opinion.

• AntaholicAnonymous likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users