• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Keeping Speculation Thread

ants speculation

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 8 2020 - 4:47 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

This is for future projections or alternate timelines. This is a fun thread; be creative.

Here are some starter scenarios:

What if ant keeping became popular hobby?

What if Milton Levine was never born?

What other species might become predominant invasives in the future?

What if Drew started a Formiculture YouTube channel?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 8 2020 - 5:00 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This is for future projections or alternate timelines. This is a fun thread; be creative.

Here are some starter scenarios:

What if ant keeping became popular hobby?

What if Milton Levine was never born?

What other species might become predominant invasives in the future?

What if Drew started a Formiculture YouTube channel?

Answers!

It already is becoming one.

No gel farms! Yay! But also less hobbyists. Sad.

Pretty much all the generalist ants.

He already has a channel.

• FSTP, TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this

#3 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 8 2020 - 5:12 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Here's another one:

What if you could ship all queens across US State lines?

My answer: chaos.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, January 8 2020 - 5:12 PM.

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 8 2020 - 5:13 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Here's another one:

My answer: No.

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

#5 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted January 8 2020 - 6:01 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Here's another one:

My answer: DEATH

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#6 Offline FSTP - Posted January 8 2020 - 8:15 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

If you could ship all queens then ant keeping would likely explod in popularity. A few of my friends thought about getting into ant keeping until I told them what I do to find queens or what I pay for queens when I do find someone to sell me something in my own state. After hearing that they decided not to get into ant keeping and instead one bought a tarantula and the other bought a gecko....

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#7 Offline Serafine - Posted January 8 2020 - 11:44 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If you could ship all queens then ant keeping would likely explod in popularity.

I wouldn't really count on that.

In Europe where antkeeping has been a thing for decades and you can get pretty much any queen (and the hobby has a MUCH higher age average aka paying customers with much more disposable money) it is still a niche hobby within a niche hobby (reptile/insect keeping).

It's going to take a lot of time (and probably effort) until antkeeping becomes just remotely mainstream, right now even roaches are more popular pets (and in the US Isopods are MASSIVELY more popular pets than ants).

Edited by Serafine, January 8 2020 - 11:47 PM.

• FSTP and Antennal_Scrobe like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:04 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I mean like a separate one; he should make it like AntsCanada, (except don't overexaggerate colony size estimates) as he has plenty of colonies and diversity to make it interesting. We could use an American ant channel.  B)

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:05 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If you could ship all queens then ant keeping would likely explod in popularity.

In Europe where antkeeping has been a thing for decades and you can get pretty much any queen (and the hobby has a MUCH higher age average aka paying customers with much more disposable money) it is still a niche hobby within a niche hobby (reptile/insect keeping).

It's going to take a lot of time (and probably effort) until antkeeping becomes just remotely mainstream, right now even roaches are more popular pets (and in the US Isopods are MASSIVELY more popular pets than ants).

How can you blame them. Isopods rule.

I mean like a separate one; he should make it like AntsCanada, (except don't overexaggerate colony size estimates) as he has plenty of colonies and diversity to make it interesting. We could use an American ant channel.  B)

No, I'd rather not have Drew be like AirConditioner.

• TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this

#10 Offline FSTP - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:05 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

That's likely true. But I think it would at least be bigger than it is now. I'd imagine you'd see stores pop up selling ants all over the place. However you have a good point.

#11 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:06 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

how do i delete a post...

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, January 9 2020 - 3:07 PM.

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:08 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Here's another one:

I think it would be fine as long as the government restricted invasive species. Instead of a list you CAN ship, there should be a list that you CAN'T ship. Such as:

Solenopsis invicta

Solenopsis geminata

Linepithima humile

Brachymyrmex patigonicus

Pheidole megacephala

Tetramorium immigrans

Tetramorium tsushimae

Anoplolepis gracilipes

Paratrechina longicornis

Brachyponera chinensis

Myrmica rubra

Lasius niger

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:10 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Well, someone on Formiculture should. And it should be at least affiliated with the forum. Then establish an official Formiculture website/shop, (not unofficial shops ran by forum members, not that there's anything wrong with that, you get the idea) and we're good.

Edited by AntsDakota, January 9 2020 - 3:11 PM.

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:13 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

how do i delete a post...

I don't think you can. You just edit and say 'deleted'.

#15 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:13 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Here's another one:

I think it would be fine as long as the government restricted invasive species. Instead of a list you CAN ship, there should be a list that you CAN'T ship. Such as:

Solenopsis invicta
Solenopsis geminata
Linepithima humile
Brachymyrmex patigonicus
Pheidole megacephala
Tetramorium immigrans
Tetramorium tsushimae
Anoplolepis gracilipes
Paratrechina longicornis
Brachyponera chinensis
Myrmica rubra
Lasius niger

This is a great idea, and I've thought this would work for years now. However, our government doesn't have the time or the care to make this happen.
  • FSTP and TheMicroPlanet like this

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:16 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yeah. The hobby's just not large enough for the government to take the initiative (not that it would anyways, but you know...) Besides, what good would it do for the government? In essence, it would have to be us ant keepers that petitioned (rather persistently if it were to work). Yet do we have the time and motivation to take such an act?

#17 Offline Serafine - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:58 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

This is a great idea, and I've thought this would work for years now. However, our government doesn't have the time or the care to make this happen.

Just as a quick example why this is a bad idea - imagine someone imported Oecephylla weaver ants to Florida and they break loose...
  • FSTP, ANTdrew, NickAnter and 1 other like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 12 2020 - 3:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Just as a quick example why this is a bad idea - imagine someone imported Oecephylla weaver ants to Florida and they break loose...

No imports, period. Species must be native to the continental United States. This is what I was thinking- you can buy Odontomachus in Washington, and Myrmecocystus in Maine, but you can't buy Oecophylla smaragdina from Malaysia or Messor barbarus from Spain.

#19 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 12 2020 - 6:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No imports, period. Species must be native to the continental United States. This is what I was thinking- you can buy Odontomachus in Washington, and Myrmecocystus in Maine, but you can't buy Oecophylla smaragdina from Malaysia or Messor barbarus from Spain.

Could work for some species in some states, but I see all sorts of ways this can go wrong.

#20 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted January 12 2020 - 6:28 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

so many ants can turn into "invasive ants" in the right conditions if they are let loose by a reckless owner.

• DDD101DDD likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users