• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Q&A Topic/ Campoculture! :)

ants & myrmecology ant keeping general ant keeping camponotous

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 20 2019 - 9:51 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

Just fill a plant pot with Orbeez, some fertilizer and the plant. Then see if it grows without water. People at the store are going to be looking at me like I'm crazy when they see me with a giant pack of Orbeez :rofl2:

Well it is what they were orginally invented for. Should be fun to see if they work well with ants or not

#62 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 10:03 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, I might just scoop up some pharoah ants and see what they do

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#63 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 4 2020 - 5:11 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Hello fellow Camponotus Keepers- it's Febuary which means sadly (or happily), diapause is winding down to a close. I will see, but I'm planning on taking my colony out around the end of March depending on how things go.

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#64 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 4 2020 - 7:21 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Mine have been out for a month now.

#65 Offline Serafine - Posted February 5 2020 - 5:21 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I have 4 Camponotus colonies. I have realized only one of them eat the dead workers. Is that common? I was told they don’t waste the protein. My other Camponotus colony leaves their dead in the outworld. Both are c chromaiodes.

My C. barbaricus (species from southern Europe) sometimes eat their dead but not regularly. There are species well-known for eating their dead though like the asian C. nicobarensis.

Camponotus generally need a broad diet, always eating the same stuff isn't good for them (well, that's true for most ants).

You can also try feeding them pee (don't if you use any medicine or drink a lot of caffein) or urea (you can get clean urea from the pharmacy, just use a TINY amount like the tip of a knife and mix some sugar into the water as well) - Camponotus have an endosymbiont called Blochmannia which can break down urea and use it to create a number of vital amino acids (they're mostly important for brood development).

• DDD101DDD likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#66 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 5 2020 - 8:46 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I don't want to know how you found that one out... lol

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#67 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 13 2020 - 5:44 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

I don't want to know how you found that one out... lol

it was a hot topic last year, its so weird

#68 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 13 2020 - 5:45 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow lol

#69 Offline Serafine - Posted February 13 2020 - 8:47 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

It's actually official now, at least for one australian Camponotus species: https://www.research...nd_for_nitrogen

• ANTdrew likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#70 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 13 2020 - 8:54 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, the whole urine thing was a very common topic last year.  Was in quite a few journals, and was mentioned a lot in the chat.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#71 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 14 2020 - 6:07 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

there must have been some very interesting conversations last year lol

#72 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 14 2020 - 9:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Time to edit the title of this thread, too. Change Camponoutous to Camponotus

• Serafine and DDD101DDD like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#73 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 14 2020 - 10:11 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Time to edit the title of this thread, too. Change Camponoutous to Camponotus

oh wow just noticed that and I'm going nuts

#74 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 14 2020 - 10:36 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

You can stop being my Formica queen when I check on her lol. I changed it

• ANTdrew likes this

#75 Offline Acutus - Posted February 14 2020 - 1:08 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I have 4 Camponotus colonies. I have realized only one of them eat the dead workers. Is that common? I was told they don’t waste the protein. My other Camponotus colony leaves their dead in the outworld. Both are c chromaiodes.

My C. barbaricus (species from southern Europe) sometimes eat their dead but not regularly. There are species well-known for eating their dead though like the asian C. nicobarensis.

Camponotus generally need a broad diet, always eating the same stuff isn't good for them (well, that's true for most ants).

You can also try feeding them pee (don't if you use any medicine or drink a lot of caffein) or urea (you can get clean urea from the pharmacy, just use a TINY amount like the tip of a knife and mix some sugar into the water as well) - Camponotus have an endosymbiont called Blochmannia which can break down urea and use it to create a number of vital amino acids (they're mostly important for brood development).

Hmmmmmmm I may try adding bird mutes to the diet. I keep Raptors so I have a plentiful supply!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I have C. chromaiodes and C. castaneus. You think this would apply?

Edited by Acutus, February 14 2020 - 1:10 PM.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#76 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 14 2020 - 2:49 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I read a article on bird mute (sadly, and now I wish I didn't), and I don't know personally. Unless the bird mute is extremely close to human urine, I wouldn't risk it. But that's just me.

#77 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 14 2020 - 2:51 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

National Geographic would have a great time putting this into one of their "Weird But True" kids' books.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#78 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 14 2020 - 2:53 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

"Weird, But Extremely Disturbing and We Don't Even know If We Should Be Selling This to Kids"

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#79 Offline Acutus - Posted February 15 2020 - 9:39 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Well since I have such access to the Urates of owls I decided to take some dried flakes of it and put it in 2 C. chromaiodes colonies and my C. castaneus colony. All 3 originally showed interest. The castaneus almost just as quickly lost interest. The Chromaiodes on the other hand continued to try and manipulate, carry, move or whatever the rather largeish flakes I put in.

I will next crush the dried urates into powder and offer it that way. I could also rehydrate the powder.

I read a article on bird mute (sadly, and now I wish I didn't), and I don't know personally. Unless the bird mute is extremely close to human urine, I wouldn't risk it. But that's just me.

Could you summarize what you read and how that pertains? I believe much of this study was started by observing species of ant actually using bird droppings as a nutrient source. (am I correct on this anyone)

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#80 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 15 2020 - 11:16 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

It was just on what bird mutes were, (after that I didn't want to read more), but I suppose if there was a lab analysis of bird mutes compared to human urine, you would get a definitive answer... I'm just not the guy for this lol. Maybe you could conduct an experiment on this yourself... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants & myrmecology, ant keeping, general ant keeping, camponotous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users