• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Q&A Topic/ Campoculture! :)

ants & myrmecology ant keeping general ant keeping camponotous

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#101 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 18 2020 - 3:04 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I always strive to please :D

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#102 Offline Rozema - Posted February 20 2020 - 11:52 PM

Rozema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
What is the best nest for Camponotus?
I see a lot of colonies thrive in ytong nest.
But This French guy is keeping them in some sort of lab set up and they seem te be doing very well.

#103 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 21 2020 - 3:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
In my experience, the very best nests for most ants are Tar Heel Ants nests. A mini-hearth is ideal for a young Camponotus colony.
  • TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#104 Offline Rozema - Posted February 21 2020 - 9:09 AM

Rozema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
How do you manage the humidity in that nest?

#105 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 21 2020 - 11:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

How do you manage the humidity in that nest?

There is a tiny hole in the back that allows you to fill up a screen covered water resevoir using a syringe.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#106 Offline Acutus - Posted February 21 2020 - 12:21 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I have my 2 C.chromiaodes colonies in Ants Canada Camponotus Hybrid Nests. They seem to work very well. My C. castaneus are in a Tar Heels Mini Hearth XL and a Mini Hearth connected. Soon will connect another Mini Hearth. This colony has absolutely thrived!!

I just talked to Mack from THA today about a custom setup as a display for the Nature Center where I work. It will house one of my C. chromiaodes colonies.

Humidity is controlled a number of ways in THA Formicarium. One way is the Water Tower as described by ANTdrew. There is a screen covered reservoir that is filled with a syringe. There are also smaller tubes called Nest Mates. these can be used as a drinking water source of as ventilation. As colonies grow just the presence of ant bodies can up humidity levels and then venting can be important.

I have tried a number of different setups and I like THA systems the best. they are literally so easy to maintain.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#107 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 21 2020 - 4:37 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

sounds about right

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#108 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted February 22 2020 - 12:34 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Hey guys, I'm from South Dakota. I have a Camponotus colony (I have had them for about 3 years), and I moved them into a Mini Hearth. 

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#Ants4Life

#109 Offline Rozema - Posted February 22 2020 - 1:13 PM

Rozema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I have my 2 C.chromiaodes colonies in Ants Canada Camponotus Hybrid Nests. They seem to work very well. My C. castaneus are in a Tar Heels Mini Hearth XL and a Mini Hearth connected. Soon will connect another Mini Hearth. This colony has absolutely thrived!!

I just talked to Mack from THA today about a custom setup as a display for the Nature Center where I work. It will house one of my C. chromiaodes colonies.

Humidity is controlled a number of ways in THA Formicarium. One way is the Water Tower as described by ANTdrew. There is a screen covered reservoir that is filled with a syringe. There are also smaller tubes called Nest Mates. these can be used as a drinking water source of as ventilation. As colonies grow just the presence of ant bodies can up humidity levels and then venting can be important.
I have tried a number of different setups and I like THA systems the best. they are literally so easy to maintain.

Thanks very interesting systems. Pretty high in price though and don’t know about the shipping. I live in Holland. So I assume it will not be cheap.

#110 Offline Rozema - Posted February 22 2020 - 1:15 PM

Rozema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

In my experience, the very best nests for most ants are Tar Heel Ants nests. A mini-hearth is ideal for a young Camponotus colony.

In the Q &A on the website they say it is good for a queen with brood. Isn’t that a little too soon to move them in?

#111 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 22 2020 - 1:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They are expensive, but you asked for the best nest, and THA is it, without a doubt.
People successfully start new queens in mini-hearths, too.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#112 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 22 2020 - 3:42 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

TarHeelAnts nests also make nice decorations, in my opinion.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#113 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 22 2020 - 5:07 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yes, I adore my Phalnax outworld :3 

#114 Offline Acutus - Posted February 22 2020 - 9:12 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I'd also like to pass on some advice that Mack, the owner of Tar Heels Ants, gave me as we were talking about a custom formicarium for my C. chromiaodes colony.

Mack said to make sure and feed any of my Camponotus wingless fruit-flies!! He explained that if I wanted "Long Term" success that this was essential!

Now Mack has a TON of experience with Camponotus as many here know. 

The real interesting thing is that when I asked why he thought it so important, he explained that Nitrogen was an important part of their wild diet and that the cultures fruit-flies are raised on are high in nitrogen making the fruit-flies themselves high in nitrogen.

The EXACT same element in our discussion about making Urine or bird mutes part of the diet as well!!

Edited by Acutus, February 22 2020 - 9:19 PM.

• ConcordAntman, ANTdrew, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#115 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 23 2020 - 5:42 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Interesting, did you tell him about the bird mute idea?

#116 Offline Acutus - Posted February 27 2020 - 7:27 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Interesting, did you tell him about the bird mute idea?

I told him that for the same reason I was supplying powdered bird mutes to the diet, yes.

Feeding wingless fruit-flies to your ant has another appeal though. It's a BLAST to watch!! You put a bunch of the fruit-flies in and watch the ants hunt them down it's awesome! :D

• Canadant likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#117 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 27 2020 - 8:09 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, and less stomach racking than watching them eat bird mutes lol

#118 Offline Serafine - Posted March 1 2020 - 3:16 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Roaches can also store nitrogen in the form of uric acid - similar to Camponotus ants they have a bacterial endosymbiont that can make proteins and other stuff from this uric acid.

It might explain why my Camponotus like them so much.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#119 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted March 1 2020 - 3:22 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
What type of formicarium/setup would you all recommend for a chromaiodes colony of about 50-75 workers? Also I find that camponotus adore red runner roaches and spiders the most.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#120 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2020 - 4:37 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good to see you back on here. I’d say a mini-hearth XL would be just about ideal. I really hope I can find more of this species this April.
  • MegaMyrmex likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants & myrmecology, ant keeping, general ant keeping, camponotous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users