• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

869 replies to this topic

#501 Offline aznphenom - Posted April 4 2020 - 4:26 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Here's my grout nest extension I worked on while my carpenter ants were in diapause. I'll be attaching it soon and also will be updating my build blog in a couple days HERE.

gallery_4140_1698_204742.jpeg

I tried to improve upon my last design and also give more surface area for the ants to hang from while maximizing viewing. I partitioned a section of the bottom half of the container to hold water which should evaporate upward through a hole covered with a screen I made at the bottom chamber.

gallery_4140_1698_303326.jpeg

I mixed vermiculite into the grout mix when I poured the mold for the nest. I had a thin board that blocked the one half from the grout pour so that I could take out the nest fairly easily once it dried. I then used a saw and mitre box to cut the chambers out in a uniform manner. I then epoxied the back walls with white sand. I made stalactites out of Milliput two-part expoxy and also epoxied them in place along with white sand to form the ceilings of the chambers. I used construction adhesive to glue the nest in place. I made sure to soak the grout nest beforehand so that the curing process fully occurred. The nest was worked on over several months so that the nest could fully cure, I want to make sure that it's safe for the ants.

gallery_4140_1698_536377.jpeg

Queen Elizabeth and her colony had a nearly 5 month diapause, I put them into the garage in October. There was about a half dozen workers that didn't make it, I had to clean out the bodies after the ants cleaned out their nest. Here they're well fed on fruit flies and byFormica Sunburst Nectar and some hummingbird nectar mix.

gallery_4140_1698_430914.jpeg

I also upgraded my outworld from last season with some more fake greenery and some additional floating shelves to have options for feeding areas. I also added an additional vent and an extra exit for future extensions.

gallery_4140_1698_865924.jpeg

I was looking at the blister packaging that my Dremel tool bits were in and I thought the shapes would make interesting feeders. I poured some plaster/vermiculite mix into them and used those molds to make these feeders for insects parts. I epoxied the top level smooth and adhered sand, gravel, and fake plants to it with PVA glue and construction adhesive to help blend them into the layer of substrate I have in the outworld. This was the first time using them and the ants were already full from their last feeding so their activity was subdued. I'll be playing with mixing around feeders to help break up the monotony of feeding in a small area.

gallery_4140_1698_337500.jpeg

The small bowl was also a plaster mold of plastic packaging I repurposed for a feeder. I then dremeled out a bowl shape and laid out a smooth layer of epoxy for the area that holds the food. My ants like the honeydew melon and mealworms, the cricket pieces were mainly ignored. I've got to test out more feeders in the future so follow my builds thread to see what's happening!

How did you get such clean holes?
What are the black things in the holes called?
How did you glue the mesh?
  • akaant, Boog and Ants_Dakota like this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#502 Offline Boog - Posted April 5 2020 - 1:27 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Here's my grout nest extension I worked on while my carpenter ants were in diapause. I'll be attaching it soon and also will be updating my build blog in a couple days HERE.

I have a set of step drill bits and I usually drill a 1/2 inch hole for a 3/8 inch vinyl tube and a 3/4 inch hole for a 1/2 inch vinyl tube.

The tube is held in place with rubber grommets which is the reason I have to drill a larger hole to accomodate, the friction hold of the tubing is enough so the setup is still modular. I bought bags of them but had to air out/soak in alcohol to rid the initial rubber stink quicker.

I used clear two part epoxy adhesive, J-B ClearWeld to adhere the steel mesh but I also tried out some other clear permanent adhesives too.

Edited by Boog, April 5 2020 - 1:27 PM.

• aznphenom likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#503 Offline aznphenom - Posted April 5 2020 - 1:41 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I have a set of step drill bits and I usually drill a 1/2 inch hole for a 3/8 inch vinyl tube and a 3/4 inch hole for a 1/2 inch vinyl tube.

The tube is held in place with rubber grommets which is the reason I have to drill a larger hole to accomodate, the friction hold of the tubing is enough so the setup is still modular. I bought bags of them but had to air out/soak in alcohol to rid the initial rubber stink quicker.

I used clear two part epoxy adhesive, J-B ClearWeld to adhere the steel mesh but I also tried out some other clear permanent adhesives too.

Than a lot. I have a lot of the spurs with my holes. Does the step bits help with that?

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#504 Offline Boog - Posted April 5 2020 - 3:00 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Than a lot. I have a lot of the spurs with my holes. Does the step bits help with that?

I use some painter's tape or masking tape to hold together the point I'll be drilling. So I drill through the taped over plastic in a slow but firm fashion and I'll get the occasional small crack or small spur, but I've got a small metal file to smooth the edge and the step bits seem to help out. The rubber grommets hide any close damage to the holes since it overlaps the edging. Also, the rubber grommets fit a certain width of plastic and if it's too thin or too thick it won't hold.

Edited by Boog, April 5 2020 - 3:00 PM.

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#505 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 25 2020 - 5:15 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Ants4fun made this, but today I upgraded the hydration system. Before it was watered through a hole near the bottom, but I added sponges:

jjAGsr1.jpg

• Broncos likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#506 Offline akaant - Posted May 2 2020 - 4:11 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

A update to my page 20 post.

My 2019 design had a few flaws mainly not being leak proof and the water became dirty spreading to all reservoirs over time.

2019 design

NWoT8ug.jpg

WRAyGeQ.jpg

My 2020 design solved both problems and just needs a taller tower base and softer tubes.

I can now fill up to 12 formicarium reservoirs simultaneously.

dTlQ8gT.jpg

THWjRHC.jpg

Edited by akaant, May 2 2020 - 5:19 PM.

• Boog, AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#507 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 2 2020 - 6:20 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Updated Photos

I'm thinking about using plaster inside outworld you built to make an all in one formicarium.   I was thinking about using one of these.  What are your thoughts on that?

Edited by BugFinder, May 2 2020 - 10:11 PM.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#508 Offline DVD - Posted May 4 2020 - 2:06 PM

DVD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Locationbelguim

how does tarheelants making there Formicariums?they are so awesome ! i want to see a video clip how to make a Formicarium like this.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#509 Offline akaant - Posted May 4 2020 - 2:23 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

how does tarheelants making there Formicariums?they are so awesome ! i want to see a video clip how to make a Formicarium like this.

One of the best post similar to his design

https://www.formicul...ted/#entry46142.

Edited by akaant, May 4 2020 - 4:08 PM.

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#510 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted May 4 2020 - 2:27 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

My 2019 design had a few flaws mainly not being leak proof and the water became dirty spreading to all reservoirs over time.

2019 design

NWoT8ug.jpg

WRAyGeQ.jpg

My 2020 design solved both problems and just needs a taller tower base and softer tubes.

dTlQ8gT.jpg

THWjRHC.jpg

Wow, that’s an interesting setup

#Ants4Life

#511 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 4 2020 - 2:28 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

My first crack at a diy. Suggestions and questions are welcome

Wow. That's actually pretty good! Where did you get the materials to make it?

#512 Offline Broncos - Posted May 4 2020 - 2:29 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

how does tarheelants making there Formicariums?they are so awesome ! i want to see a video clip how to make a Formicarium like this.

He mixes different materials to make the nest part and waits for it to dry. Possibly molding it as it dries.
He dries on tubing vertically and once everything is dried, he grabs an outworld container that he uses grout or something and puts some sand down. This is how he told me he made them.
  • DVD likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#513 Offline DVD - Posted May 4 2020 - 2:41 PM

DVD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Locationbelguim

how does tarheelants making there Formicariums?they are so awesome ! i want to see a video clip how to make a Formicarium like this.

He mixes different materials to make the nest part and waits for it to dry. Possibly molding it as it dries.
He dries on tubing vertically and once everything is dried, he grabs an outworld container that he uses grout or something and puts some sand down. This is how he told me he made them.

thx for the feedback.if i make a hole in a petri dish for connecting the Hydration tube for filling the watertower the water always leaking away.maybe i have small petri dishes 

#514 Offline akaant - Posted May 4 2020 - 2:47 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

2019 design

NWoT8ug.jpg

WRAyGeQ.jpg

dTlQ8gT.jpg

THWjRHC.jpg

2019 design

NWoT8ug.jpg

WRAyGeQ.jpg

dTlQ8gT.jpg

THWjRHC.jpg

Efficiency is what I'm going for. The less time I'm doing tedious care the more time I can just enjoy watching them. The design is interchangeable with my all 3D printed formicarium sizes and, perhaps plaster ones in the future.

While i have just over a dozen colonies, someone with 50-100 would drastically benefit from a similar setup.

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#515 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted May 4 2020 - 3:31 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Efficiency is what I'm going for. The less time I'm doing tedious care the more time I can just enjoy watching them. The design is interchangeable with my all 3D printed formicarium sizes and, perhaps plaster ones in the future. While i have just over a dozen colonies, someone with 50-100 would drastically benefit from a similar setup.

Yeah. How would they benefit?

• AntsDakota likes this

#Ants4Life

#516 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 4 2020 - 3:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Good question, but couldn't you have used the quote?

• Thunder_Birds likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#517 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted May 4 2020 - 3:36 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Thanks. I did, but I accidentally deleted the box thing that goes around it

Edited by Thunder_Birds, May 4 2020 - 3:36 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#Ants4Life

#518 Offline akaant - Posted May 4 2020 - 5:01 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

Prior to this project first inception I had many individual  (reservior+formicarium) that I had to be manually checked every week. I removed the top formicarium part or peered down the back opening to check the water level and filled the reservoir with a syringe. This task takes 10-15 min to complete but with the tower I can get it down to 2min or less. All i do now is pour the water into the center tower and make sure the water flows down in all the tubes. If I had 50-100 colonies hooked up this way the time saved every week over the course of the year is definitely worth it.

AKA's Ant adoption.

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#519 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 5 2020 - 9:01 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

My first crack at a diy. Suggestions and questions are welcome

Wow. That's actually pretty good! Where did you get the materials to make it?

Thanks a lot. I got most if not all from the local hobby lobby. I am planning on making my 3rd and hopefully the best and last version of it. Then it’s probably tweaking it until it’s perfect.

Edited by aznphenom, May 5 2020 - 9:03 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#520 Offline DVD - Posted May 6 2020 - 12:46 PM

DVD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Locationbelguim

use tarheel clay to making Formicariums?and remove the clay later on?I'm really curious how he make this...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users